View Poll Results: Which would you prefer to use ?
Windows XP 9 69.23%
Windows Vista 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 05:31 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Windows XP or Windows Vista and What notebook

O.K. everyone I could use your input here please. I currently have Windows XP at home but I am looking to purchase a notebook and they're only offering Windows Vista. Which is better?? I've heard some so-so comments about Vista but would like to hear from people who have used it.
I'm also looking to get a notebook (laptop) for the road. What should I be looking to get on it. I'd like to be able to use it for personal entertainment and some business. Like a locating system for shippers and receivers (GPS), fuel information and faxing capabilities. Don't know much about Wi-Fi and it's coverage. Like to know what kind of card I should be thinking about getting. Thanks in advance. Drive safe everyone.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Frankly, I think you should purchase a Mac, or Apple product.

I've got windows, and I would love to see that idiot Bill Gates tarred, and feathered, and boiled in oil. He creates a product, that has more problems with it, then it's worth. I've never been happy with any of the software programs, everyday there is a new problem, and I would love to throw my computer out the window, and be done with it.

If I had known then, what I know now, I would have gotten an Apple, or a Mac...

The other problem is that when they first put PC computers on the market the big selling point was that they would get cheaper to buy as the technology progressed. What a bunch of bull that was...

Like when CD's came on the market to replace Cassettes... Well, we've all been fooled again by American business, and now it costs as much for a computer as it used to cost to buy an old used car. CD prices haven't dropped, and they still take up more space in your vehicle, then cassettes ever did, sigh....

I really couldn't advise you, other than I hate anything to do with Microsoft... :roll: Or the latest so called technologies for that matter.... :lol:

This is how I really feel about Bill Gates, and Microsoft.... :lol:

Old 05-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

As far as Bill Gates....he let all the Software companies know well ahead of time his new OS was coming out. These companies could have been decent about developing patches. I think you're looking at the wrong person/persons to blame Red Raven.

As with XP OS...the new Vista OS will need some time to develop. It is a good system for those who are savvy enough to tweak it to true optimum performance.

I would recommend staying with XP for another couple years. You can still purchase laptops with XP. I just bought a HP business class with XP Pro. With the frustration over Vista...many of the merchants are wise to the fact...and are offering you XP.

PM Vavega...she mentioned to me there is a way you can buy a Vista machine, and save the OS and put XP on there. Later down the road, you can reinstall Vista. If you do go with a Vista machine...get one with a lot of memory.

For wireless...I use Sprint...and use my cell phone as a modem. I love it. You can also have an aircard, or a USB modem, for the same service, and therefore you are issued another phone number, so you do not tie up your cell line, while on the computer.

I use Delorme, and PC Miler for a laptop mapping/routing system, with an Earthmate GPS receiver. The PC Miler system is ultra expensive...but it is a Commercial base system. Prior to that I used the Delorme for years, and it is reasonably priced...although non-com. If you are patient....this Market is rapidly expanding, and many new competitive systems are about to emerge.

The laptop GPS mapping is nice, but better suited for routing, storing and upgrading info, and viewing full results.
You may wish to consider a GPS stand alone unit for your actual enroute aid. I use a Garmin stand alone....and find it worth every penny. I bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 for $320 off eBay.

The stand alone GPS are also about to emerge with Commercial base mapping systems. This summer Cobra is scheduled to come out with a Commercial mapping system from Seimens VDO.
You can install updates and extra info to them off your computer. Some also can be used as a Bluetooth handsfree device for your phone, and an MP3 player for music and audiobooks...linked to your Truck sound system.

We have recently done a number of threads on all these subjects. A search will help you enormously.

$20 bucks says this gets rerouted without GPS to Surveys forum. :wink:.....Recalculating.... :lol: (inside joke for stand alone users)
Old 05-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Senior Board Member

I have a HP DV8000 laptop in the truck with Windows XP Media Center Edition. I use the laptop for everything. Entertainment (games and watching movies), gps routing (CoPilot and Microsoft Streets & Trips 2007), Quicken, logs (drivers daily log), and the internet via a Sprint wireless card (I only use the built in wireless when I'm at home).

At home I have a "small footprint" HP machine with Vista Home Premium on it. While I've never had a single problem with it, it does seem to be slower than XP. The machine at home is much higher on the scale as far as a machine. It's Vista that's gotta be slowing it down. However, it's a very reliable machine.

As far as going with a Mac, the only problem you're going to have there is finding the software to use. I don't see many options for the GPS or logbook programs.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:49 PM

I like Toshiba notebooks myself but have to agree stay with xp I will be buying windows XP to put on here I hate vista its a mem hog. its slower BUT it sure is pretty.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Board Icon

Another forum you might like is....

Trucking Product Reviews by Truckers for Truckers.

Lots of info you are requesting in that forum.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Senior Board Member

I have the HP DV9000 and went with the Vista upgrade. It came with 512MB of DDR and also upgraded that to 2GB and she hums!!! I have had two issues with Vista, in the new Media player it has a Fair Use program built into it so you can't download movies or remove the Media Player. The other thing, it took me a while to Sync my Treo, after a while I figured it out but was a hassle (was a PALM issue not Microsoft's). Other than that I like Vista. My wife has a Toshiba with XP and cannot stand to use it, it's slow and luggy compared to mine with Vista. If your going to spend some money on a laptop with some speed I would say go with Vista, if your going to get a average laptop go with XP. Microsoft has released several updates already and most of the bugs are getting worked out.

Just do your home work and figure out what will be the best for you!, here's a great site for Vista and other windows editions. http://www.winsupersite.com/vista/

Old 05-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
As far as Bill Gates....he let all the Software companies know well ahead of time his new OS was coming out. These companies could have been decent about developing patches. I think you're looking at the wrong person/persons to blame Red Raven.
RoadHog I've had my computer for years, I bought it used, and it worked fine. I refused to buy new, knowing computers are obsolete in an average of 2 to 3 years. Then up until good old Bill Gates decided that there had to be new updates, new programs from Microsoft, and associated ISP services, that ever since then I've had nothing but problems.

It is like everyday you start the computer, and wonder... O.K. What computer glitch will I discover today... :roll:

I've spent literally hours, and days contacting "Tech Support", from both the software provider, and computer manufacturer. Most of the time, their solutions, end up making things worse. Then I have to spend even more time on the phone, or computer trying to fix their mess...

Of course now Microsoft, and most manufacturers are no longer offering service coverage for older operating systems, and software programs, like windows 98, 98SE... So, what does that mean to you... Well, when Microsoft decided that YOUR operating system is to old for them to be bothered with anymore. They will probably do the same thing.

It is like a bad drug... They get you hooked to use their systems, and programs, then in a few years, tell you that you now have to go out and spend hundreds for either a new computer, or, software program.

What do I need all that for, if all I want to use my computer for is to Email, look up info. and use websites like this one?!... :roll:

I'm not one to waste good money. If I buy something I expect it to work for years, and years, not be out dated, or obsolete in a few years. Especially computers. They haven't gotten any cheaper. The cost for broad band, or high speed service isn't cheap either.

In my area someone is getting some money under the table, because we don't have any options for high speed service providers. They have one company, and they are a rip off. To high priced... They have a monopoly on our area. :x

I'm not a trucker, so I don't need the latest gadgets. My own personal vehicle I bought new, and I've had it for 18 years. If I pay for something that is expensive to begin with, I expect to get my monies worth out of it.

Computers, and related systems are just a rip off... I've said before, when my computer won't run anymore, I'll dump the thing... If I absolutely need to use a computer for personal use, I can always go to the local library, and save myself hundreds of dollars, and a lot of time, I won't have to spend dealing with any "Tech Support" people.

Computers just manage to suck the life out of you. They take your money, time, and sanity... Then your told you have to buy a new one a few years later, because now yours is obsolete. GRRRRR...

Bill Gates has made more than enough money, he's not getting any more of mine, I can tell you that... :x

Frankly, if he had stayed in college, and didn't drop out to start his computer company. Maybe he would have created a better PC that wouldn't have had so many problems to begin with, and continues to have problems, and costs the public a small fortune every few years. :P :roll:

Maybe he would have gotten it right the first time, instead of having to "patch" it up all the time...

It's like a car, if I buy it new I expect to have it function just fine for many years, and only need repair when something wears out. Not to have to have it fixed every other day, or week, because it just didn't function right in the first place... They call something like that a lemon... :lol: :wink:

Ah, this is why Toyota is the number one car maker in the US, GM thinks selling Hummers was a good idea, and now we want to give computers to countries that have no electricity, or safe running water, and their populations are starving from drought, and famine.

Ah, isn't the US great.... :roll: (note sarcasm)

Old 05-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven
GM thinks selling Hummers was a good idea...

Well...it has been one of the most profitable tax-free Industries for thousands of years. :roll: ....often times even considered a "community service." :mrgreen:
Old 05-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm referring to the vehicle RoadHog... Get your mind out of the gutter... :roll: :lol: