Default XM FIRED O&A!

http://www.wackbag.com/
Old 05-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I'm reading the 44 pages of posts about the possible firings. All I can say is WOW...

Here's another 42 pages worth: http://xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=80246
Old 05-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Senior Board Member

See what happens when you try to win at being the most vulgar.. they won! Of course this is not a reputable source and just some reactive throwing a hissy fit.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
See what happens when you try to win at being the most vulgar.. they won! Of course this is not a reputable source and just some reactive throwing a hissy fit.
And again you're missing the point.

Yes, they're vulgar. Guess what though - they're vulgar on a pay service in a channel listed as Extreme Language which you can block if you don't want to hear it.

The point is that they were on an UNcensored pay-to-listen medium. Now they're being censored. It's exactly the same as if they started "bleeping" cursing on HBO or Showtime.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Quote:

Yes, they're vulgar. Guess what though - they're vulgar on a pay service in a channel listed as Extreme Language which you can block if you don't want to hear it.

The point is that they were on an UNcensored pay-to-listen medium. Now they're being censored. It's exactly the same as if they started "bleeping" cursing on HBO or Showtime.
This isn't about the listeners! This really isn't that tough to figure out. When they as employees put their parent company in danger of legal trouble.. THEY LOSE! They have no RIGHT to do this and you know that. And no matter how extreme, you cannot include people by name in the vulgarities unless you want to get your clock cleaned for libel and defamation.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Apparantly you've forgotten about the Supreme Court decision on the Larry Flynt/Jerry Falwell/Penthouse issue from the 70s. There is a right to free speach in this country (at least there used to be) and no where in the constitution does it say you can't use vulgarity when discussing another person.

When Don Imus was fired, then JV & Elvis a couple of weeks later, there was really no way for the companies that fired them to actually realize how enraged people were over the BS firings. With XM, and with thousands of people cancelling subscriptions with them, at least they'll get the point that people are fed up with all the politically correct, don't get anyone mad at you load of BS that's been going on lately.

Again, it doesn't matter whether you're an O & A fan or not. I know that I didn't listen to Imus or JV & Elvis. The issue is that this country is going to hell in a handbasket. All of the specialty interest groups are taking control over this crap. What's next?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Senior Board Member

I would imagine that the founding fathers are turning over in their graves at what has been done to the 1st amendment. It was never intended to be used as an excuse to be a foul mouthed dirt bag or to slander others.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
I would imagine that the founding fathers are turning over in their graves at what has been done to the 1st amendment. It was never intended to be used as an excuse to be a foul mouthed dirt bag or to slander others.
You're saying that they intended it to control what you can say about people, based on their sex, race and religion???

Imus - yes, he made a stupid remark - who cares?
JV & Elvis - It was an oriental voice - who's never heard that before on network tv?
O & A - A homeless man made stupid sexual remarks about the Secretary of the State - like he'd ever actually be able to do it...

It just freaking blows my mind that people get so up in arms about this crap. If you don't like it, don't listen to it...
Old 05-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
There is a right to free speach in this country
Sorry, but Opie and Anthonys, Imus or whoevers free speech rights werent violated. They have the right to say anything they want. However, an employer CAN dictate what they can or cant say when employed by them. Comparing this to Larry Flint doesnt make any sense. Larry Flint wasnt employed by anyone.
I said this in another post. If Opie and Anthony want true free speech. They can set up an internet radio show and say whatever they want. As long as they choose to be paid by the corporations, they are going to have to play by their rules just like anyone else.

Quote:
Again this has NOTHING to do with the first amendment. The first amendment doesnt protect employers from dictating what an employee can or can not say while at work and being paid. You think im wrong. Try a little experiment, call your boss and tell him you want to rape his wife. Then when he fires you, cry that youre rights are being violated and try to get a lawyer. Two things will happen. First your boss will laugh at you while you are walking out the door. Then the lawyers will laugh at you for not understanding the basic rights outlined in the Constitution.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Quote:

Just ignore him, he obviously has no clue what he is talking about. He's getting all his info from the "always correct media" who have no clue. It's not worth wasting your time trying to make points to him.