User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 05:47 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default So-Cal Noncommercial Question.

Hey all.

I am becoming the assistant director of a music program in so cal. I have a few long term plans and one of them involves transportation for the marching band. The school has no stadium, so we travel plenty during the fall season.

We have outgrown a 26' Class C truck that we have been using in the past. We could run 2 of those, but that can get expensive.

What I would like to know:

Since I am not getting paid for equipment transportation, a Non-Commercial Class A would work, correct? I would be towing a 45-48' moving van.

In the early stages, I would not be buying a tractor. Does Ryder do daily rentals and around how much do they run? Would it be better to team up with somebody else who owns a rig that is not using it when I would need it?

Do I have other insurance options aside from pulling out a policy on myself?

Total travel would be less than 500 miles per year...

What other things do I have to concider as I think about the advantages and disadvantages to this sort of idea?

Thanks for your input!
Old 04-20-2007, 05:25 AM
Rookie

Glad this got moved to a forum that appears to have less traffic...thanks.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:45 AM
Senior Board Member

To be honest most of us have little or no experience in what you are doing. We know a lot about commercial issues, but what you are doing is new to us.

I suggest you call the DMV, insurance companies, etc and ask your questions that pertain to them.

I would think though, that renting as needed or buying a 2nd straight truck would be a lot cheaper in the long run than the upkeep of a tractor trailer. You also would have less worry about low clearences, restricted routes, getting in and out of your destinations, etc.