User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Virginia Tech Massacre

:cry: I'm so shocked and stunned by the senseless killings today at Virginia Tech. How could anyone kill 32 innocent students in school, a place where they should feel secure? My thought and prayers go out to their families. :cry:
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Why would completely helpless and unarmed targets feel secure in anything? If there was ever a case where more people should be trained and armed, this is it. The police are not on the jobs to prevent crimes, they are there to investigate and to arrest people who have committed crimes. The whackos know that there are large blocks of unarmed people at schools and workplaces, why does anyone think that barring trained law abiding people to conceal and carry weapons is the danger? 32 and eventually more people died today for pretending that the law would protect them.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas

I agree. Classes on how to properly handle and shoot a weapon should be more readily available. I remember reading somewhere where concealed weapons classes are becoming more and more popular and in some cities there is a waiting list for students. Now with this tragedy don't you know the anti-gun people will come out of the woodwork, not to mention adding fuel to the 2008 presidential campaign. 8)
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:03 AM
Rookie

This was a great loss and tragedy, and not surprisingly been non stop on the news channels here too. My thoughts are with all the families who have suffered loss today.

Fozzy, you talk about law abiding people not being a danger. While in the main I agree, there is no evidence that this gunman was anything other than law abiding and obtained his weapons legally. Every one of us has a breaking point though, what happens when we reach that point differs in each and every one of us. Thankfully this guys reaction to that breaking point is only seen in one of billions of people who reach their breaking point every day.

I very much respect other peoples cultures and customs and admire the people who stand up for their rights etc. I do feel though that in the area of firearms that something ought to be done to prevent this ever happening again. Your constitution was written over 200 years ago in what at those times were a pretty lawless society. I think that maybe you (America) should think about giving up your right to bear arms. It was reported on the news here tonight that 1 in 3 American adults own a gun of some description. I can see that hunters and sporting shooters would want to own a firearm but why would "John Doe" want to own one.

I myself have a shotgun, which I use for clay pigeon shooting. I'm a crap shot, but I enjoy the passtime. To get a licence for it took around 8 weeks, was visited by a firearms officer who interviewed me, inspected where I was going to keep it, made sure the gun safe was of an approved type and that I was pretty level headed I guess. Then my application went to the chief constable to get his approval (a formality if the report from the firearms officer is OK)

I'm neither for or against gun control, but anything that can be done to prevent this happening again in the future must be done.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:14 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Don't get me wrong...I wish to never die from the lack of shooting back.
But...is this really what this event is about?....having or not having a gun?

I agree that this will evolve into the lowest common denominator.

Although I am not shocked, nor stunned at how something like this can happen, I am disheartened and angry. I feel so sorrowful for the victims and their families. This effects us all in some way.

I'll try to balance out my feelings. But, things like this harden you...and maybe rightly so.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:37 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Virginia Tech Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Flyer
:cry: I'm so shocked and stunned by the senseless killings today at Virginia Tech. How could anyone kill 32 innocent students in school, a place where they should feel secure? My thought and prayers go out to their families. :cry:
It has been a total madhouse around here today, I hear. I wasn't here, of course, but I did see every state trooper in Virginia rolling north with the hammer down. I actually had to hear the truth about what was really going on from a friend of mine who lives in Florida. I couldn't get anything off the FM, and nobody on the CB knew anything for sure, and I couldn't get through to anyone at home, because the phones were all jammed up.

My wife's cousin used to live in AJ. I know exactly where that is.

Scary stuff.

Everything in the county is going to be shut down tomorrow, and I won't be surprised if this impacts my getting loaded tomorrow in some way too. It's a madhouse around here.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimp
This was a great loss and tragedy, and not surprisingly been non stop on the news channels here too. My thoughts are with all the families who have suffered loss today.

Fozzy, you talk about law abiding people not being a danger. While in the main I agree, there is no evidence that this gunman was anything other than law abiding and obtained his weapons legally. Every one of us has a breaking point though, what happens when we reach that point differs in each and every one of us. Thankfully this guys reaction to that breaking point is only seen in one of billions of people who reach their breaking point every day.

I very much respect other peoples cultures and customs and admire the people who stand up for their rights etc. I do feel though that in the area of firearms that something ought to be done to prevent this ever happening again. Your constitution was written over 200 years ago in what at those times were a pretty lawless society. I think that maybe you (America) should think about giving up your right to bear arms. It was reported on the news here tonight that 1 in 3 American adults own a gun of some description. I can see that hunters and sporting shooters would want to own a firearm but why would "John Doe" want to own one.

I myself have a shotgun, which I use for clay pigeon shooting. I'm a crap shot, but I enjoy the passtime. To get a licence for it took around 8 weeks, was visited by a firearms officer who interviewed me, inspected where I was going to keep it, made sure the gun safe was of an approved type and that I was pretty level headed I guess. Then my application went to the chief constable to get his approval (a formality if the report from the firearms officer is OK)

I'm neither for or against gun control, but anything that can be done to prevent this happening again in the future must be done.

I agree with you. It's time to throw the second amendment out the window or at least change it to bring it up to date. When it was written a good shooter might get off 3 shots in 1 minute, now in a minute mass loss of life can occur. I believe hunters should be allowed firearms. We've already twisted the Constitution to allow DUI roadblocks and all this Catch a Predator nonsense and went after tobacco and drugs, guns should go as well. Then you have folks who fall back on the militia aspect, in case the government decides to enslave us all. More BS if the govt. wants to overpower you they have at thier disposal other methods to accomplish that and render your firearms useless.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

If there are more legal concealed guns out there, these events would be both less frequent and less deadly. The main reasons that the death tolls are so high is that shooting masses of unarmed people is no different than shooting sheep. If there is a valid and known threat of return fire, these cowards might just go and shoot themselves and cost society less.

The trashing of the second amendment is also foolish.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripplecreek
Quote:

Quote:
I agree with you. It's time to throw the second amendment out the window or at least change it to bring it up to date. When it was written a good shooter might get off 3 shots in 1 minute, now in a minute mass loss of life can occur. I believe hunters should be allowed firearms. We've already twisted the Constitution to allow DUI roadblocks and all this Catch a Predator nonsense and went after tobacco and drugs, guns should go as well. Then you have folks who fall back on the militia aspect, in case the government decides to enslave us all. More BS if the govt. wants to overpower you they have at thier disposal other methods to accomplish that and render your firearms useless.

Y'all are kiddin right?

I believe every good American should own a gun, wether it is for hunting or self defense!! If someone or some more than one had a firearm, this might have still happened, but a-lot less people might have died, than what did.

I will never relenquish my right to bear arms. It is my right, as a law abiding citizen. I cherish this right..

Take away the right to bear arms, but the bad people will still have them.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
I will be the judge
And the jury

Neil Peart
Old 04-17-2007, 06:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

I very much respect other peoples cultures and customs and admire the people who stand up for their rights etc. I do feel though that in the area of firearms that something ought to be done to prevent this ever happening again. Your constitution was written over 200 years ago in what at those times were a pretty lawless society. I think that maybe you (America) should think about giving up your right to bear arms.

Our goverment can't stop the flow of drugs across the border. Do you really thing they could stop guns? Guns are already being smuggled into the black market. Bottom line, guns are here to stay. I'll be damned if I fall victim to some crook who's carrying a smuggled of stolen gun and I can't defend myself.

It was reported on the news here tonight that 1 in 3 American adults own a gun of some description. I can see that hunters and sporting shooters would want to own a firearm but why would "John Doe" want to own one. Because the average "John Doe" is more likely to fall victim to a violent crime than a hunter. Again, criminals do not obtain their weapons through legal means, like us law abiding citizens do.

Gun control will never work. When Clinton signed his Assault Weapons bill, he pledged that violent gun crimes would go down and we would all be safer. Bottom line was that after 10 years there was no proven difference in violent gun crime.

Arm more of the populace and make it easier to do so(unlike Kalifornia). If a good chuck of society was armed, criminals will have to do a second take on whether they want to rob someone. If some of these college students had the ability to be armed, the casualties would have been fewer for sure.