User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2007, 05:31 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default help with a GPS

I am looking for a GPS system for my husband. Has anyone had any luck with any?
Old 03-31-2007, 10:43 PM
Senior Board Member

I use CoPilot on my laptop and love it. I back it up with Microsoft Streets & Trips 2007 and the Rand-McNally motor carriers road atlas. As for a standalone unit, I have no idea. Myself, I wouldn't want one of them with a tiny screen.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:14 AM

I am a new driver. I just bought the Garmen C550. The little sucker is magic! Its only about the size of my fist. But, I can't believe all the things it can do. It even has an MP3 player and bluetooth for hands free cell phone use.

My trainer used it while I drove. He's got an older version of MS Streets and Trips. He was impressed.

One advantage a computer program has over a stand alone is the ability to view your entire route on the screen. With the Garmen you can only look at segments at a time. The Garmen C550 also costs over $500.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Rookie

thanks for the replies. he is computer illiterate. i am checking on the stand alones.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I am also using my laptop, with Earthmate GPS and Delorme Street Atlas. I love the larger view.

I am thinking of going to PC Miler for Trucker specific routing, and Sprint is offering it through the broadband card, so I can continue using my laptop. I will check into this more when I get home.
I thought about the little dash units...but I have become spoiled.

Anyway...the Sprint's PC Miler for Truckers...is offered on the cell phone too. That seems handy...if you are also willing to put up with smaller screening.
You can have it all on your phone now days!

If you get in a crash...you can even watch yourself on the News with TV viewing on your phone too. :lol:

Someday...I hope all this crap can be on a tiny chip they just implant in your brain. 8)
Old 04-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
I am also using my laptop, with Earthmate GPS and Delorme Street Atlas. I love the larger view.

I am thinking of going to PC Miler for Trucker specific routing, and Sprint is offering it through the broadband card, so I can continue using my laptop. I will check into this more when I get home.
I thought about the little dash units...but I have become spoiled.

Anyway...the Sprint's PC Miler for Truckers...is offered on the cell phone too. That seems handy...if you are also willing to put up with smaller screening.
You can have it all on your phone now days!

If you get in a crash...you can even watch yourself on the News with TV viewing on your phone too. :lol:

Someday...I hope all this crap can be on a tiny chip they just implant in your brain. 8)
Have a link on this? I've already got Sprint and would like to check it out.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Board Icon

http://www.nextel.com/en/services/gps/pc_miler.shtml

I am using Nextel. I'm thinking of switching over to Sprint...because I like the phones, and I want to get the Broadband card. I'm using this TA WiFi... :evil: :lol: ...nuf said. :P

Ofcourse this works on your phone with the Data stream plan...but if you have the aircard...you already then have the data plan, and don't get charged any extra. I'm not sure yet if I can run this on the laptop.....I hope so.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Board Regular

I just "upgraded" from a Garmin I2 to a Garmin C330 with the latest maps for under $300 http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4579517 - it is the soon to be discontinued ancestor of the big $$$ C5XX line . I love it! For them $$$ you can throw it away in a few years and buy a C5XX when they are discontinued and still save money. Upgrading the maps costs $80 a year so if you can just save that up instead of buying new maps every year you can get a new unit every few years instead. In my truck I can stick it on the windsheild right in front of me but low enough to see it under the steering wheel where normally I just see my hood - that way it doesn't block any of my view of the road and I don't have to look away from the road. I think the stand alone units are a lot safer and easier to use 8) !
Old 04-02-2007, 01:59 AM
Senior Board Member

I have Microsoft Street & Trips 2007 and love it for the detail available. You can even download satalite photos of the address you are looking for.

I, also, have a Garmin Nuvi 660, a stand alone device. I find myself using it almost exclusively. True, you only see one turn at a time, you can page through these turns and verify them against your atlas. I find it much more convienent than the computer base mapping program. It is much faster, provides more than enough detail. The controls are simple and easy to use. I have it mounted where I don't have to take my eyes off the road for more than a split second. It provides real time routing, showing you what the road in front of you will do before you get there. This has saved me more than once at night or driving in fog. I know exactly which way the road is going. I just found out a couple of days ago that you can drag the screen where ever you want.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:14 AM
Board Regular

I had 3 of the stand alone ones. Then went to Microsoft S/T It has a learning curve but is much better then the garmin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
I have Microsoft Street & Trips 2007 and love it for the detail available. You can even download satalite photos of the address you are looking for.

I, also, have a Garmin Nuvi 660, a stand alone device. I find myself using it almost exclusively. True, you only see one turn at a time, you can page through these turns and verify them against your atlas. I find it much more convienent than the computer base mapping program. It is much faster, provides more than enough detail. The controls are simple and easy to use. I have it mounted where I don't have to take my eyes off the road for more than a split second. It provides real time routing, showing you what the road in front of you will do before you get there. This has saved me more than once at night or driving in fog. I know exactly which way the road is going. I just found out a couple of days ago that you can drag the screen where ever you want.