User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 11:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

[quote="Sheepdancer"]
Quote:
As far as the "shaving miles" thing. It just isnt true. We pay our drivers rand Mcnally miles and we charge our customer rand mcnally miles. You were always paid for every mile we charged our customer.
And there lies the problem.

You cut the miles for your customers so your customers will be happy. However, you also cut the pay for the driver taking the load at the same time. Here is an example:

The load by Rand McNally program would have paid 1000 miles. However, to be nice to the customer, you cut him a break in the rate, and give him 900 miles for the bid.

Going by what you stated by drivers being paid by what you charge the customer, you just SCREWED the driver out of 100 miles before he ever gets into the driver seat to start the truck. On top of that, we can count on Rand McNally being off as much as 10%, according to orientation. Some the drivers get written up when they go over that 10%varience. So at this point, the driver is not only out of 10% of the trip pay, but he is also out of varience too boot.

This practice is a big part of why I'm disgruntal. But go ahead, and tell these drivers why this is OK.

One more thing. I save EVERYTHING, even TripPaks, with every mile I was paid, and locations from pickup to delivery. You may argue with a disgruntal employees, but you can't argue with your own paperwork. :twisted: :twisted:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 03-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kips41
HHG, Hub or practical miles.

Probably 99% of all shipments are figured on the HHG basis.

After that it is a company playing with the numbers to get drivers.
Some hub and practical companies will pay less per mile and HHG companies will pay more but in the end the driver makes about the same.

There are exceptions to this and you will just have to look at it and compare on a one on one basis.

Every company out there budgets what they are going to pay their drivers and only have so much revenue to do it with, the only thing here is the method in how they make the numbers work.

This is an issue that drivers always get bent out of shape over, be in reality it should be a non-issue. For all those drivers that say they are driving 20% more than what they are getting paid, they don't know how to plan a route very well.
That would be nice if it was just me. However, too many drivers complaining about the same thing tell me something else is the problem. And one more thing. I used the routes provided by JB. So the miles should have match the route mile, right? WRONG!!!

'

Old 03-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: A GMAN question

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
or any other old timer. I was talking to the head of orientation of the company I work for today. He asked me how it was going etc. Well to make a long story short I mentioned how I felt about the HHG pay. He then proceeded to tell me that's what the company is paid based on and started telling me how HHG pay came about. He said something about the government used to pay trucking companies to move people for whatever reason and that guys use to sit in truck stops and jack up their trucks and let the miles add up without any real wear or tear on their trucks. Hence the government instituted this whole thing.

Sounds like a crock of ... to me but I was wondering if their was any truth in this whole thing or if you knew how this whole racket of HHG came about?

Thank you.
I would like to say sorry for venting on your post. It truely doesn't matter how the company pays you if it's going to short you the miles your suppose to get. My past experience with JB should NOT be the issue here, but rather their mindset on how and what they feel you deserve to be paid. I'm sure more companies do this, and it really ticks me off know my fellow drivers are getting jack around just so a company can make a few pennies more.

'

Old 03-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Senior Board Member

One thing about HHG miles and Rand McNalley Miles...neither system accounts for curves, hills, and exit mileage.

HHG is actually Air-miles.

"Wanna pay freight charges based on AIR MILES??..Hire an Airplane to haul yer freight."
Old 03-31-2007, 02:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluggy619
I would preferr practical miles instead.
Where I'm at now, they just switched to practical miles. It pays the same as HHG miles did on this route, and I still get to drive 55 miles a day for free.

I used to get paid flat salary. I like flat salary the best. Especially if they'll pay you the difference if you would have made more doing miles, which my old company did not. I still made out well with this though, and would easily go back on salary if I had that option again.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:48 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
One thing about HHG miles and Rand McNalley Miles...neither system accounts for curves, hills, and exit mileage.

HHG is actually Air-miles.
No, HHG is not air miles. It is post office to post office, via the shortest available route.

If it was air miles, then it would be 20-40% below actual miles, instead of 8-10%.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Hub miles are the best way for a driver to be paid. With Household goods, your actual miles versus paid can vary up to about 12% of miles driven. As I recall, household goods became the norm due to household movers driving extra miles to bill the customer more money. It was a way to protect the consumer from unscrupulous billing practices.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
As I recall, household goods became the norm due to household movers driving extra miles to bill the customer more money. It was a way to protect the consumer from unscrupulous billing practices.
Nope.

HHG miles came about when the government started moving military people. Since the government sets the rates on HHG moves, they needed a standard to base those rates upon. Hence, the HHG miles standard was born.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
As I recall, household goods became the norm due to household movers driving extra miles to bill the customer more money. It was a way to protect the consumer from unscrupulous billing practices.
Nope.

HHG miles came about when the government started moving military people. Since the government sets the rates on HHG moves, they needed a standard to base those rates upon. Hence, the HHG miles standard was born.
Yep...I posted a link to an article that explains that on the 1st page
Old 04-02-2007, 01:12 AM
Board Regular

I have heard oldtimers talk about the good old days when you'd jack up a wheel and let it run up the miles every time you ate lunch or took a break and actually seen an oldtimer's collection of speedometer gears he used to use to make the odometer run up extra miles. These were all union drivers driving company trucks being paid hub miles back then :shock: .