User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Trailer Backup Lights

Any ideas? anyone with some experiance with this? :? :P

I want to mount a couple flood lights off the tail of my trailer for backing.
Figure I will set them off the center bar on my rear bumper area...where I can angle them nicely...and yet have them out of the way of docks and such.

I don't want them mounted on the sides of the Tractor rear fairing...as I seen done. Problem I'm having is how to wire them...to my Tractor backup lights. So...when I shift into reverse...they will come on.

I'd be happy also to figure them on a switch in the cab...if I knew the best way to wire this. (second best wish)

For now...I can't figure a good method. I'm resigning to just mounting an on/off switch back on the tail. I can get out and go flip them on and off as I need to. Not a problem when bumping docks...as I need to go open my doors anyway. But for the times I'm in a Truck Stop or where ever...sure would be nice to not have to do that everytime...especially during BAD weather. This is the time I really want the trailer backup lights the most.

Man...wired somehow to the Tractor backup lights would be fantastic....but how?

Dang electrical embilical has no extra wires...now that they have them wired up for ABS.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Trailer Backup Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
Any ideas? anyone with some experiance with this? :? :P

I want to mount a couple flood lights off the tail of my trailer for backing.
Figure I will set them off the center bar on my rear bumper area...where I can angle them nicely...and yet have them out of the way of docks and such.

I don't want them mounted on the sides of the Tractor rear fairing...as I seen done. Problem I'm having is how to wire them...to my Tractor backup lights. So...when I shift into reverse...they will come on.

I'd be happy also to figure them on a switch in the cab...if I knew the best way to wire this. (second best wish)

For now...I can't figure a good method. I'm resigning to just mounting an on/off switch back on the tail. I can get out and go flip them on and off as I need to. Not a problem when bumping docks...as I need to go open my doors anyway. But for the times I'm in a Truck Stop or where ever...sure would be nice to not have to do that everytime...especially during BAD weather. This is the time I really want the trailer backup lights the most.

Man...wired somehow to the Tractor backup lights would be fantastic....but how?

Dang electrical embilical has no extra wires...now that they have them wired up for ABS.
I think it would be just less of a problem if you add a light and a switch to the rear of the trailer.. that way if it screws up you know exactly where everything is!
Old 03-20-2007, 11:48 PM
Board Icon

Most of the Log Trucks I drove up here had lites on the rear of the Pup but I never had them when I was OTR-They would come in handy though and it wouldn't take much to put em on the end of your trailer-Just splice a line for the light going from the Main to the rear and cut and enclose the hole with our light.

I KNOW you've seen backup lights on Logging trucks in Felch.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Roadhog does the trailer already have backup lights? And you just want to add flood lights?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:32 AM
Senior Board Member

this article in fleet owner talks about it, and then at the end gives 4 good links for manufacturers. check out page 100 in the philips industries online catalog, that switch might be what you're looking for. but then again, given my mechanical skills............. :mrgreen:
Old 03-21-2007, 01:55 AM
Senior Board Member

You can do like I did on my pick up truck, I spliced into the circiut for the stock back up lights but then added a dash mounted switch in that line. That keeps the lights from being left on while driving. I added aux lights to the headache rack and to the trailer that way.
Now as far as running the pig tail, Your on your own there :lol:
Old 03-21-2007, 03:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Don't they have relay systems that will automatically activate trailer docking lights when the 4 way flashers are activated? I thought I'd read about something like that at one time.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:45 AM
Senior Board Member

try calling wabash @1-800-431-4421 thay had backup lites on trailers in 2002. we still have a few 2002 trailers and it is nice, nothing to hook up just plug in the pigtail and air and go but anytime you start to backup "move about 12in" the backup lites come on and goes beep beep beep and lites go out about 30sec. after you stop moving.

if thay can't help try calling a good tralier shop and see if thay can add a system like wabash used to your trailer..

i've had drivers call me on the cb when going down the road and ask if i had backup lites and the trailer, you can see the white lens between the red tail lights.

great for backing at truck stops and at docks at nite, nothing like having lights at the a$$ end of the trailer.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Board Icon

What makes this a big issue for me is this new Tractor I'm driving has tinted glass side windows.
This tinted glass cuts my night vision down by I'd say roughly 66.6 % :?

I've thought of just taking the tint off the windows....but I've grown to like it because of the help with cutting down the lights in my eyes and mirrors with night driving. It's crazy trying to back at night though. :shock: Especially if it's stormy. I'll have to get out and look at how I'm doing several times or more.

I'm finding out the wiring is not so easy a deal. I'm really not fond of just mounting a on/off switch at the tail.....or even running the switch long, up to the nose, if I want to mount the lights at the tail.
I guess it is looking more like I need to run them off the sides of the Tractor. Oh well. Not big on that idea...but it seems to be my easiest way....if I want them to be hooked into the reverse gear switch.

One positive feature about mounting them off the Tractor fairing...is the lights come with me, no matter what Trailer I hook to.

Why can't these Trailer Manufacturers give us Trailer backup lights anyway? There ought to be a Law! :evil: ...bastids. :?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Board Regular

There are some wireless lights on the market.

I'll provide the link shortly or in a few days, but right now my stomach hurts.