LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default State of Maine revokes trucker's driver's license

By BDN Staff
Thursday, March 08, 2007 - Bangor Daily News

AUGUSTA - A trucker who had a lengthy record of driving offenses before causing a fatal crash on the Maine Turnpike has lost his driver’s license for good, Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap announced Wednesday.

The state was able to permanently revoke Scott Hewitt’s license because of a finding by investigators that Hewitt was under the influence of marijuana when his tractor-trailer crushed a car on the toll highway in July 2005, Dunlap said.

Hewitt, 34, of Caribou, pleaded guilty last month to manslaughter in the crash, which caused the death of Tina Turcotte, 40, of Scarborough.

"The death caused by Mr. Hewitt was a needless tragedy, and it is my sincere wish that he never get behind the wheel of any motor vehicle ever again, in Maine or any other state," Dunlap said Wednesday in a statement.

Hewitt’s driving record, which included 63 convictions, 23 license suspensions and a previous fatal crash, outraged many Mainers and prompted the Legislature to crack down on motorists with suspended licenses who refuse to stop driving.

On Feb. 16, Hewitt entered a guilty plea to manslaughter and five misdemeanors including operating while possessing a controlled substance. Under a plea agreement, he was sentenced to 10 years in prison with all but 30 months suspended and was ordered to serve four years on probation.

Even though Hewitt’s license was permanently revoked, he could petition to get it back 10 years after he’s released from prison.

If Hewitt tries to get his license back, there would be an administrative hearing and Turcotte’s family would be invited to participate, Dunlap said.

"Extending an invitation to Tina Turcotte’s family guarantees the impact of Mr. Hewitt’s criminal behavior would not be forgotten or overlooked by the hearing examiner, making it highly unlikely indeed that restoration would be approved," he said.

Sheeesh! Tell me why we should fear the Mexican drivers???
Old 03-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Board Regular

:? Wasn't his license suspended when the accident happened? It seems to me that Mr. Hewitt is not overly concerned about small technicalities such as that. Or having valid insurance, operating authority, truck registration etc. for that matter.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Default Re: State of Maine revokes trucker's driver's license

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
By BDN Staff

AUGUSTA - A trucker who had a lengthy record of driving offenses before causing a fatal crash on the Maine Turnpike has lost his driver’s license for good, Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap announced Wednesday.

The state was able to permanently revoke Scott Hewitt’s license because of a finding by investigators that Hewitt was under the influence of marijuana when his tractor-trailer crushed a car on the toll highway in July 2005, Dunlap said.

Hewitt, 34, of Caribou, pleaded guilty last month to manslaughter in the crash, which caused the death of Tina Turcotte, 40, of Scarborough.

"The death caused by Mr. Hewitt was a needless tragedy, and it is my sincere wish that he never get behind the wheel of any motor vehicle ever again, in Maine or any other state," Dunlap said Wednesday in a statement.

Hewitt’s driving record, which included 63 convictions, 23 license suspensions and a previous fatal crash, outraged many Mainers and prompted the Legislature to crack down on motorists with suspended licenses who refuse to stop driving.

On Feb. 16, Hewitt entered a guilty plea to manslaughter and five misdemeanors including operating while possessing a controlled substance. Under a plea agreement, he was sentenced to 10 years in prison with all but 30 months suspended and was ordered to serve four years on probation.

Even though Hewitt’s license was permanently revoked, he could petition to get it back 10 years after he’s released from prison.

If Hewitt tries to get his license back, there would be an administrative hearing and Turcotte’s family would be invited to participate, Dunlap said.

"Extending an invitation to Tina Turcotte’s family guarantees the impact of Mr. Hewitt’s criminal behavior would not be forgotten or overlooked by the hearing examiner, making it highly unlikely indeed that restoration would be approved," he said.

For that exact reason!! Mexico has no requirements for drug test, etc., drivers., of their drivers. Does that mean they will all be like this? Absolutely not! But since no screening is done, and they have no requirements for hours of service, then there will be those that cause these types of accidents whether they are under the influence or not.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel
For that exact reason!! Mexico has no requirements for drug test, etc., drivers., of their drivers. Does that mean they will all be like this? Absolutely not! But since no screening is done, and they have no requirements for hours of service, then there will be those that cause these types of accidents whether they are under the influence or not.
You mean the things that were so effective in dealing with drivers like this guy? Again, unless you are just self-serving, a rookie, or never have driven a truck... you'll see that this system we have is not going to be effected by a few more bad drivers. They do not have to meet the standards in their country.. they have to meet the standards while driving in this country. If they get pulled over for infractions or are inspected and put OOS, they are not simply allowed to continue due to them being Mexican nationals. It's borderline hysteria to think that all Mexican drivers are driving junk and or not safe operators. It's either racial or political bigotry and another thing that a few drivers here are being VERY selective in their "anger".
Old 03-09-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel
You mean the things that were so effective in dealing with drivers like this guy? Again, unless you are just self-serving, a rookie, or never have driven a truck... you'll see that this system we have is not going to be effected by a few more bad drivers. They do not have to meet the standards in their country.. they have to meet the standards while driving in this country. If they get pulled over for infractions or are inspected and put OOS, they are not simply allowed to continue due to them being Mexican nationals. It's borderline hysteria to think that all Mexican drivers are driving junk and or not safe operators. It's either racial or political bigotry and another thing that a few drivers here are being VERY selective in their "anger".
Fozzy,

Please provide the names of these individuals and we can request the Moderator/Administrator to warn them and then ban them if they continue.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Board Member

I don't have THAT much time. EVERY time one of these issues come up, the people who have decent well thought out points are drowned out by the Children's Band Radio intellect. IF there was an honest debate about things, we may someday get things done. We don't live in that world anymore. The nation is full of child like maturity andThe 49% VS 51% "win at any cost" politics has won. The fact is that its not about the best man winning anymore and there is no such a thing as losing gracefully and trying again harder next time. It's all play dirty, win dirty and then pretend that you've kept any pride and self respect or that you've won anything based on your OWN merit. I'm pretty tired of it and it is THAT more than anything that is and will destroy this country.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Board Icon

Fozzy: I have not often agreed with you, and I don't entirely agree with you here! Surprise. But, for the most part, I have debated you civilly, and I will do the same here.

1) I DO agree that there is way too much bigotry and prejudice in the trucking industry, and evidenced on this board. It seems (although it still happens) that Americans have been chastised into silence where prejudice against Blacks is concerned.... yet, they feel it is OPEN SEASON on Mexicans. Almost a type of "alternative" outlet for hatred.

2) Let it be on the record, that I married a Mexican-American, and my daughter shares their blood. Therefore, I am offended by many posts I see here. Somehow, I feel that you MAY have a similar perspective.

3) According to your original post, the driver was "determined" to be under the influence of Marijuana. I know of no such TEST that can prove that definitively. If there WERE, then it would not be against the law to toke up a bit on weekends, and then drive when your head is clear. Marijuana is no worse than alcohol unless it is used in close proximity to operating a CMV.

4) Also, according to your post, he PLEAD guilty of being IN POSSESSION of marijuana while operating a CMV. NOT the same thing as being under the influence.

5) I have NO sympathy for this guy, as his record reflects he has NO respect for the law. It's ONE thing to get caught doing something illegal. It's another to refuse to accept the consequences and blatanly continue to drive.

6) My immediate thought in answer to your question "in blue" was that "Heck! They have better DOPE than us!" :lol: But, seriously, I don't think that a Mexican is any more likely to be driving "high" than an American.

7) MY major concern is with the condition of their equipment, and their lack of language skills that would lead them to miss warning signs, etc., and make them a bigger risk of accidents on our highways. I've been to Mexico (as I'm sure you have,) and it's just NOT the same ballgame on the roads down there!

8.) The other concern is that companies will allow them to deliver loads up here for pennies on the dollar, costing US jobs! If a Mexican wants to LEGALLY immigrate to this country and get a driving job for one of our companies.... well and good. But, we've outsourced everything but our TAX BURDEN in this country.... and it MUST STOP SOMEWHERE!

I DO WISH that ALL would confine their arguements to the POLICIES and EFFECTS on our economy of this current situation, and leave out any implication that Mexicans are necessarily more dirty, dangerous, or inhuman than the rest of us.

However, your efforts to defend them betrays the facts of how this decision will impact LEGAL American Truckers.... and is therefore somewhat insincere, and JUST as hysterical.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:40 PM

golfhobo,

You have many good points that others have tried to express but have been attacked for. I for one would welcome an open border with Mexico IF their economy and standards of living for their people were even somewhat close to the US. At that point opening the borders freely would have little to no affect on the standards of living for Americans. In fact I believe the ability to freely trade could potentially help rebuild our own economy.

The reality is NAFTA has already demonstrated how badly Americans have been affected by opening the border to trade. If Mexican trucking companies are allowed to travel passed the 25 mile trade zones at the border (and freely after the pilot programs are finished as it is intended) then we can expect another round of problems similar to the initial NAFTA results. In addition, other than "trying" to enforce our laws on any foreign CMV driver (non-citizen or non-legal immigrant visa holder) on our soil the US has no right nor power to regulate foreign business'. As such our main recourse is enforcing border entry, strengthening import laws, etc.

Our seaports are clogged and foreign countries have been using Mexican, and other, seaports to offload their vessels of exports headed for the US. Many companies have closed US based operations and went South of the US border to cut expenses (labor, land, etc., etc.). If the borders are eventually opened to Mexican trucking companies It would not be hard to fathom a business giant leading the charge for yet another exodus of business' to anywhere in Central America.

A good example of who could lead that charge is Wal-Mart. They will take advantage of any strategy to boost their profits regardless of the effects. If Wal-Mart could open one major distribution center just South of the US border it can take advantage of cheap labor, cheap land, cheaper Mexican port costs, cheaper everything. They could shut down EVERY Wal-Mart distribution center in the US and use lower paid Mexican trucking company drivers to distribute products to all of their US based stores. The last account I read was that 70% of the dry goods (non-food items) Wal-Mart sells are imported from China.

(Note: You can read about all of Wal-Marts less than stellar activities at the AFL-CIO WEB site search: http://sitesearch.aflcio.org/search/...earch_redesign )

IF that were to happen then we could expect other business' to try similar cost saving measures. The effects would ripple way past the American truck driver and to many, many people that not only work at Wal-Mart distribution centers but also business' that support them and the trucking companies that hauled the goods for them.

Opening our borders has NO long or short term gain at this point in time. Again, if ours and Central American economies were even somewhere near equivalent it may not have as much of an effect.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
By BDN Staff

What!?!?!? Only 10 years! for manslaughter...damn he got off easily..out in California, hell you can Jay-walk and be put in jail. and you would be sentenced to life in my city if you did that. They need to get tougher in Maine. thats for sure.