User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 01:09 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default DAYCAB BED:

Alright i couldn't take it no more so i decided to make my own bed for use in a daycab:

Another view:

Notice how the bed follows the contour of the dash and the truck's other features; This is a Freightliner Columbia daycab model.

What i did was i took a big piece of carboard and traced what would fit taking into consideration the truck's dash and other features especially the gearshifter. I wanted maximum surface area for maximum comfort. I got a 4'X8' wood sheet from Home Depot for about $22.50. The thickness of the wood is about 1/2".

I then cut the carboard shape out making a template. I traced the shape of the template onto the wood. Using a jigsaw i cut the shape out of the wood. The rounded edges as opposed to sharp (right angle) edges not only give the bed a nice touch but make the bed easier to handle.

I also traced the template shape to a memory foam mattress topper which i got a Kohl's for about $60.

I then used 3M "super 77" adhesive which is perfect for foam. I mated the foam to the wood. I then i had my bed.

NOTES:

1) This is still not real comfortable but it beats sleeping on the floor which i've done countless times. And it beats sleeping slumped over the steering wheel which, really, is not good sleep.

2) This foam is actually not enough in my opinion; This foam is about 1 and 1/2 inches thick. It would be nice to have more. Say at least 4 inches. But this is a good for a start.

3) I understand about the whole logging thing. This post isn't about that. It's about doing what you have to do to survive current working conditions.

4) I'm not advocating this. I'm not nessesarily encouraging you to do this. And i'm not saying i'm happy about this. This is something i felt i had to do to given the circumstances.

5) if you drive doubles at night or any other nightime driving job with a daycab, you may want to consider something like this. You will sleep better.

NIGHTIME DAYCAB JOBS:

It's really a numbers game-----How long/how many more hours can you stay awake? How much more of the assignments can you take from the dispatchers? How quickly can you get done so you can get to bed----in your own bed, not in the truck.
It's really a race against time every night.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Looks kinda nice. Wish i had that when i plowed snow and was in a truck for 36 hrs. :shock:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 03-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Board Regular

Yes, thank you. It does look a bit like an aircraft carrier, but i wanted maximum stretch out space. I don't like to sleep on my back anymore; I like to sleep on my sides and/or stomach. Plus the dashboard of a columbia is anything but simple and straight as you can see.

This "bed" allows me to stretch out completely from head to foot. There is just enough room in the cab for the top of my head to touch on armrest and my feet to touch the other armrest. Being able to stretch completely out really helps you get better rest, i feel. Sleeping all cramped up in a fetal position really sucks; I know--- i've had to do this on the floor many times before i finally decided to "make my bed" so to speak.

As far as sleeping slumped over the wheel----forget it. You're really screwing yourself long-term. If you think the job is really that important you need to think again.
Every now and then ok. But night after night you're going to mess your health up.

CONCLUSIONS:

There are reasons, good reasons, why DOT regs will not let you log off duty anytime you are in a daycab.

This bed is not a cure all to your sleep problems. It is merely, i feel, the best chance for restfull sleep given the circumstances. The circumstances being: You need this job until you can find another one. and 2) You get sleepy 200 miles away from home and this beats sleeping over the steering wheel.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Rookie

I thank u sir i have made my own and couldent be happier
Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Board Icon

I gotta admit...it's a nice setup. But WHY are you doing this? A daycab is for local drivers who don't have to TAKE a "sleeper berth" break. Don't most of you get put up in a motel room for your 10 hour break? IF you need a nap during your measly 10-12 hour shift... can't you just "recline" in the driver's seat like I do for 30 mins or less?

Where do you put this big piece of plywood (and the memory foam) while you are driving?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Board Icon

I just cut up a piece of plywood to use, it was rather narrow but it worked for me. I was out plowing snow last winter and it came in handy during the "standby" time where your sitting for 12 hours waiting for the snow to start. At least with VDOT they don't give you anywhere to bunk during the standby time to get some rest. In fact they don't even give a rat's rear about DOT's HOS. You drive until you can't drive anymore then you either ditch it or call for a relief driver. My piece of plywood actually fit right behind me seats, it was only about 58 inches long and 15 inches wide. The inside of the cab was like 64 inches minimum from side to side.