User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 02:32 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What a Fun Weekend!

Man! I think I've seen enough snow for the year!

Had a load from Washington to New York, and we were supposed to drop in Sioux Falls, SD. Good for me because I usually get some time at home when we are in Soux Falls.

There were some crappy conditions through Idaho and a bit in Montana on I-90. Things cleared up further into Montana, though. Weather was good in Wyoming, too. But, that storm hit Thursday and things changed about 100 miles into South Dakota. I had to drive a couple hundred miles on snow and ice. There were probably 5 or 6 trucks in the ditch. Plenty of cars, too!

Finally got home before they shut everything down, though. I got a couple of nights at home.

Saturday, it was back on the horse. We picked up a load in Sioux Falls and headed to IBP in Dakota City, NE. I-29 was open, but crappy. Lots of cars and trucks in the ditch, which was apparently why they closed it in the first place. Got to Dakota City and dropped our trailer, picked up another, and headed for Omaha. Well we would swap with someone at Sapp Bros. there. Plenty of cars in the ditch on that stretch, too.

After the swap, we headed out for Washington on I 80. Lots more cars and trucks in the ditch between Omaha and Lincoln.

What the heck are people thinking? I bet we saw between 150 and 200 cars in the ditch as well as 15 to 20 trucks. Not to mention all those that had been pulled out already. I have never seen so many cars and trucks in the ditch on one stretch of road in all my life.

To add insult to injury, so to speak, there was a huge traffic jam on 80 west of the Flying J (west of Omaha). I guess there was a big accident or something. After trying to scale (and getting stuck) at the Hook, we were going to park on the onramp and wait for traffic to clear. So, I pulled off on the shoulder. And off the shoulder into the mud so cleverly concealed by the ice on the road. We needed a tow. Fortunately, we were in good company. Another truck up ahead of us had done the same thing and a tow was on the way. However, about 10 minutes after I got stuck, traffic started rolling again, so we lost a bit of time sitting. Oh well!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:54 AM
Board Regular

I like your attitude :wink: You know, most drivers would be cussing and fit to be tied with the snow, traffic jams and being stuck in the mud. You just have to make the best of bad situations, and just go with the flow. Drive safe...Dave
Old 03-05-2007, 03:29 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I went thru that crap last weekend. I was stuck in N. Platte Nebraska on Saturday until Sunday A.M.. I'm done with this winter nonsense.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman
I like your attitude :wink: You know, most drivers would be cussing and fit to be tied with the snow, traffic jams and being stuck in the mud. You just have to make the best of bad situations, and just go with the flow. Drive safe...Dave
Yeah, no need working up a heart attack over things you can't control. Heck, I logged it in the sleeper and got some good use out of the ol' Aircard!
Old 03-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I'm born and raised in snow country...so I am right at home with it. I prefer the winter over the summer.
I feel more tolerant going 35 mph because of weather...than 35 mph because of heavy commute.
I feel less punished sitting because of a storm...than sitting because of a BMW with a boo-boo.

Sometime in my future...I will be seeking a driving job up there with RockyMtnProDriver and Lady North.

I plan to still keep my home in Northern Michigan...but I wanna "get away" for awhile.
For us...the East Coast runs pay better...but I hate a steady diet of that.

Well...soon enough, I will be able to drive how I want and where I want.
Everywhere is getting more and more crowded. That works against my nature...more than harsh weather. My compass points NW.