User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Met a super trucker last night.

I ran what we call a "double shuttle" last night. That's when I run our normal trip, pulling an empty set to our warehouse in Lubbock, pick up a trailer, run down to Abilene, drop, and then come home. If the warehouse is running on time, and you can run good, it's an 10 1/2-11 hour night. Well, on Tuesdays, we usually have three routes here. The two city routes, and one out of town route. They canceled one of the city routes, and combined the two. My buddy that I run with was able to pull back the set himself. Instead of me being off, they sent me to Abilene with a single trailer. I got to Abilene, dropped their trailer, and I picked up the remaining empty they had at their yard. I got back out on I-20 for about a half mile, and then I jumped on HWY 277 to come home. I was north of Haskell,TX, which is about an hour or so north of Abilene, and this owner opp, pulling a reefer blew my doors off. It was about 1:30 this morning, and he got on the radio, and asked me how far it was up to the Falls. I told him that it was about 100 miles. He came back and told me that he had been sitting in L.A., waiting on a load. He then told me that he finally got loaded about 2 this morning, and he's heading up to OK City to unload at 8 in the morning. I'm assuming he meant 8 this morning. Well, I was like, ahh ok. He asked me what all I do, and we talked about that, and that was about it. After that, all I could see was his taillights. Well, I thought about what he said. I looked at the clock on my phone, and it was 1:48. I thought, "Wait a minute, it aint even 2:00 yet. How did he pull out of L.A at 2?" I sat there, and I thought, "Did he mean that he pulled out of L.A at 2:00 yesterday morning? Crap! That's dang near 24 hours." He may have been telling the truth, he may have been full of it, dunno. I'm sure, you can make it from L.A to OK City in 24 hours, but not straight, just stopping long enough to get fuel. I know there are a lot of guys out there running wide open to get somewhere. I've done it a time or two. How did he drive that far, and not get his log checked? He must be pretty good at playing with his log book. Couldn't believe it. It could be believable, but I dunno. Some guys like to tell those wild trucker stories. My gosh, how did he stay awake the 24 hours of driving? Man, that's just crazy. I was thinking all of this for about the rest of the trip back to our yard.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 02-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

:shock: Hell....that was YOU? :?
Shoot...if I knew that...I'da slowed a little.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Senior Board Member

I am not proud of this,but I once drove from Gallup,NM to my house in MI non stop,got involved in a 8-10 truck convoy running across TX,OK,MO,and when I got to St. Louis to stop for the day one of my buddies was there and wanted to run home,since by then it was like 8am I knew I could make it home in about 10hrs in the daylight,I ran home with him.About 36hrs if I remember right.

This was back in the 80's and was much different running back then,don't think I could do it in todays world.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
:shock: Hell....that was YOU? :?
Shoot...if I knew that...I'da slowed a little.
:shock:

Hmmmmm..

Where have ya been? Missin ya. Glad you're here. 8)

Old 02-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Senior Board Member

It can be done .......... i dont run like this anymore but i picked up in anaheim CA, friday at 7eastern time and was in detroit monday 0700!!! and the way i went............... i was on i44 just outside of tulsa by saturday night!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 02:57 AM
Senior Board Member

I'd refer you guys to the Mexican driver's = hazards threads.. but it would only cause some hurt feelings.. If this behavior is acceptable (and over all it is), then why cry if the Mexican drivers do it too?
Old 02-28-2007, 08:45 AM
Senior Board Member

A few years ago I stopped for my break just east of Dallas (after having driven all night) and there was a driver bragging big time on the CB of having done basically a non-stop from LA, CA. When asked why he did it his answer was to see how far he could get before he "had to stop." When asked if he was done he said no and had only stopped for fuel and because he was hungry.

After getting his azz chewed by several drivers for being so stupid a voice came on the radio and said that he was heading the same way and was looking for a real runner to pass the miles with.

This super trucker was thrilled and pulled out right away. As soon as he was off the lot a Texas trooper pulled him over. This was when I went in for a shower and some food. When I came out about 90 minutes later to bed down they were still there and a tow truck was just pulling up.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
As soon as he was off the lot a Texas trooper pulled him over. This was when I went in for a shower and some food. When I came out about 90 minutes later to bed down they were still there and a tow truck was just pulling up.
:lol: See....now here is why we Trucker's need to have a "Tactical channel" on our CB's .....so we can communicate without compromise. :?

Jackrabbit...I've been mostly in "no man's land." (Upper Northwest)
They are just now hearing about "that Internet Thing"...up there. :evil:
Also...I'm signed up with Nextel...which don't hardly exist up there....mostly Altel or Verizon above the 45th parallel. I use TA WiFi (I'm still too cheap to get a Sprint Aircard)...and TA's are also ( I heard of them...hoike spit...ain't them one of those "Travel Center's" they got out East???) Northwest only uses "Truck Stops" with free coffee....and real meat in their resturant. :?

Also...posted speed limits are like they should be too.... :lol:

I'm cummin's yer way soon....again. 8) Got a load out today from Charlevoix to Miami...then Hwy 10 to the westcoast.
I'm used to sub-zero temps...so while in Miami...I'll be unloading in my thong...coacoa butter...and flipflops. :lol:
Old 02-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
I'd refer you guys to the Mexican driver's = hazards threads.. but it would only cause some hurt feelings.. If this behavior is acceptable (and over all it is), then why cry if the Mexican drivers do it too?
For real.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
:lol: See....now here is why we Trucker's need to have a "Tactical channel" on our CB's .....so we can communicate without compromise. :?
Speaking of. I got DOT'd outside of Benjamin,TX a couple weeks ago. The DOT man lives south of hwy 82, somewhere around there. He wore his uniform, but had on cowboy boots. I thought, "Now, that's a real DOT man." We have an old 53' dry van that we use for backhauls. It has old HAZMAT placards. Someone flipped them to where they said, "Please Drive Safe." That was the only thing he got me on. Told me that they need to be blank. Anyway, my buddy that I run with was running the front door. He was on top of the hill in front of me, and told me about the DOT man knocking on my front door. He flip floppped, I pulled over, and he walked up to the truck, and checked all my lights, and stuff. When I was sitting in his pickup, I noticed he had a Galaxy radio. I was like, dang, nice, big radio ya got there. He just giggled.

Quote:
Jackrabbit...I've been mostly in "no man's land." (Upper Northwest)
They are just now hearing about "that Internet Thing"...up there. :evil:
Also...I'm signed up with Nextel...which don't hardly exist up there....mostly Altel or Verizon above the 45th parallel. I use TA WiFi (I'm still too cheap to get a Sprint Aircard)...and TA's are also ( I heard of them...hoike spit...ain't them one of those "Travel Center's" they got out East???) Northwest only uses "Truck Stops" with free coffee....and real meat in their resturant. :?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ahh ok. Well, I figured that your computer froze up :P , or you were pretty dern busy. I've never been up in that part of the country. Big Sur,CA is about as far over there as I've been. :P

Quote:
I'm cummin's yer way soon....again. 8) Got a load out today from Charlevoix to Miami...then Hwy 10 to the westcoast.
Cool! Sounds like over the road truckin. :P Yeah, 10 is way down south. Runs right smack dab into Alamo City. :P

Quote:
I'm used to sub-zero temps...so while in Miami...I'll be unloading in my thong...coacoa butter...and flipflops. :lol:
Oh man. :shock: :lol: :lol: