User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 03:50 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Reefer Madness, My Adventures With Heyl Trucking

I haven't been around lately because I finally got on the road. I went with Heyl for several reasons. First, they have a terminal in Sioux Falls. Second, they are based close in Akron, IA (not OH). Third, they aren't a huge company.

My trainer is a good guy named David. We're not doing the "team" thing. I get to do most of the driving. He does some, though. He's helped me translate what I learned in CDL school to practical knowledge.

I was out for two weeks, but got to go home for a day and a half before going back out, so I can't complain.

There have been a few misadventures, though. One that stands out in my mind is when we had to go about 20 miles out of route to hit a port of entry. It managed to be on the other side of the interstate, so we had to go past and turn around at the first opportunity. That opportunity presented itself in the form of a low underpass. We couldn't read how much clearence we had, so I drove in for a closer look.

Me: Uh, it's 13'6". How tall is the trailer?
Trainer: 13'6".
Me: That's what I thought.

So I drove in while he watched the roof. Then, we heard this terrible grinding noise about the time the trailer should have gone under. We both had the look of terror on our faces. Turned out to be the reefer firing up! False alarm. We went under with about two inches to spare.

I'll check back in from time to time to report more on the life with Heyl.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Their website doesn't tell to much about them. CPM, type of paid miles, Lumpers, Can you take trucks home, Washing.... give you a brush or voucher, Rider/Pet program, ect.

Think you can fill us in?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasman2
Their website doesn't tell to much about them. CPM, type of paid miles, Lumpers, Can you take trucks home, Washing.... give you a brush or voucher, Rider/Pet program, ect.

Glasman,

Looking to relocate to Akron, IA (not Ohio)? :roll:
Old 02-14-2007, 05:48 PM

Sorry, no pets. It's 35 cents per loaded mile for one year or less, but I'm not certain that the fuel mileage bonus isn't included in that figure. Could be 33. Lumpers paid if you get it authorized. Authorized riders, but nobody under 18. Not sure if you can take your truck home. I would imagine you can, but having a reefer, well, the neighbors might not be so friendly...

Washing? You can take a bath when you get home! :twisted: They'll wash the truck for you at the terminal.

You can call Jerry in recruiting and tell them Marlon sent you. I get a few $$$ if you do. 8)
Old 02-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Muckrakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasman2

Glasman,

Looking to relocate to Akron, IA (not Ohio)? :roll:

LOL No... I'm about 80 miles from Yakima, both Interstate and Hayl have yards in Yakima. Still bumping heads about Gordon and Interstate. Never heard anything about Hayl here, Just want to keep my options open.

Kinda confused here..... You relocating or asking if I am?
I'm not.... Wife has to good of a job.

Guess it all depends on the outcome of an accident ( was rear ended ) I had last Sept. First and only accident I ever had. Need to resolve it and the outcome may or may not be the final decision on who I work for.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:44 AM

Quick update.

We picked up a trailer full of frozen juice in Sioux Falls and took it to Spokane. Ran into some bad weather on the 90 and spent a few hours in Rapid City, SD. It was slow going when we took up the trip again. Saw a truck on its side somewhere in WY. Once we got north a bit in Montana it got better and we delivered on time.

Got a load of fries at Prosser WA headed to Michigan. Idaho and Montana were uneventful, but we caught up to the crap again going through Wyoming. I got to expalin the difference between heavy snow and a blizzard to my trainer approaching Rapid City again. It was definitely a blizzard there. The road was slippery the rest of the way to Sioux Falls. We dropped the trailer here and picked up a load of pork in Worthington, MN headed for British Colombia via Calgary. We leave in the morning.

All told we saw two trucks on their sides and one jacknifed in the ditch on this trip. Gotta take it slow...
Old 02-18-2007, 03:49 AM
Board Icon