User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Union

Well, I am sitting here at home, and watching the movie, "HOFFA". He was a Union leader, and other stuff. I havent really learned about the Union, and Teamsters, etc.

For yall who have been around for a while :P ,and not to be a moron, but what exactly is Union/Teamsters. I know they were in cahoots with the mob at one time, and most LTL companies are Union.(not that they are mobsters :P ) Just curious, I dont know much about Union.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 02-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Been wondering that myself
Old 02-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Board Regular

OK, first off forget about union/teamsters. Let's just talk about unions first. Teamsters is/are a type of union. Like chevy type/brand is a car.

Now, what unions are, are organizations. Labor organizations which organize the workers and then they negotiate with the company (management) about working conditions, pay, benefits, equipment etc. This is much more effective than one person making requests/demands/suggestions to the company.

Now, the head honchos (at least at the teamsters) are all about the money so they, like, want to get their membership up so that they can get membership dues up so they can get lots of money. What happens is that the teamster organization gets the money but then the leaders give themselves like huge salaries and bonus.
I must mention that if you join a union, you must pay monthly "dues" which is fair because the union is working for you.

Another interesting thing about unions is that in some states, i.e., North Carolina, you do not have to be a member of a union and they (the union) still must represent you. This is if the company you are working for has it's workers represented by a union. So, that's pretty interesting. I think this is referred to as "open shop." And "right to work laws" or something. Need to double check this.

We have different unions, but they pretty much do the same thing; Teamsters, International association of machinists (I.A.M.) Steamfitter's unions. I.B.E.W.---international brotherhood of electrical workers. Etc.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis friend
OK, first off forget about union/teamsters. Let's just talk about unions first. Teamsters is/are a type of union. Like chevy type/brand is a car.

Now, what unions are, are organizations. Labor organizations which organize the workers and then they negotiate with the company (management) about working conditions, pay, benefits, equipment etc. This is much more effective than one person making requests/demands/suggestions to the company.

Now, the head honchos (at least at the teamsters) are all about the money so they, like, want to get their membership up so that they can get membership dues up so they can get lots of money. What happens is that the teamster organization gets the money but then the leaders give themselves like huge salaries and bonus.
I must mention that if you join a union, you must pay monthly "dues" which is fair because the union is working for you.

Another interesting thing about unions is that in some states, i.e., North Carolina, you do not have to be a member of a union and they (the union) still must represent you. This is if the company you are working for has it's workers represented by a union. So, that's pretty interesting. I think this is referred to as "open shop." And "right to work laws" or something. Need to double check this.

We have different unions, but they pretty much do the same thing; Teamsters, International association of machinists (I.A.M.) Steamfitter's unions. I.B.E.W.---international brotherhood of electrical workers. Etc.

CHAD... YOUR TINFOIL HAT IS ASKEW AGAIN !!!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Board Regular

???

i don't know who this chad person is?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis friend
???

i don't know who this chad person is?
Colonel Toon then...
Old 02-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Just say ...Union Yes.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:32 AM
Board Regular

Unions are just a group of employees who organize themselves to bargin collectively with the company they work for. We have leaders and they work out a contract with the company to work under and both sides must abide by it.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:39 AM
Board Icon

Yeah, it all makes sinse. I also did some reading about it. I often wonder if LTL companies are in cahoots with the mob, as well as being Union. :lol: :P

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 02-10-2007, 03:18 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Well, I am sitting here at home, and watching the movie, "HOFFA". He was a Union leader, and other stuff. I havent really learned about the Union, and Teamsters, etc.

For yall who have been around for a while :P ,and not to be a moron, but what exactly is Union/Teamsters. I know they were in cahoots with the mob at one time, and most LTL companies are Union.(not that they are mobsters :P ) Just curious, I dont know much about Union.
Just do a Google Search. Punch in "History of Teamsters Union". No end to what you can learn about them.

To make it even more interesting, Google "Teamsters Union Kennedey", Teamsters Union J. Edgar Hoover, or "Teamsters Union Nixon".