User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 01:50 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How Come...

... the Canadian provinces don't have reciprocity agreements with the US states when it comes to a straight across exchange of a CDL-A with a Canadian AZ or Class 1 license?

And do the US states have a similar stance towards Canadian license holders?

The reason I ask is that an older brother of mine is an O/O living in Cambridge, Ontario and he's asked if I'd drive for him. I wouldn't mind but I don't want to give up my Oklahoma CDL-A for an Ontario G class license and then have to start over the entire process of getting an Ontario AZ license. I can legally work and live in Canada since I was born there and he has the opportunity to grow his business (add another truck to have a total of two).

Anybody know the reason?
Old 01-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I don't know...but I will through some thoughts out there...just to respond best I can.

As far as the why no Reciprocity....they don't know who you are...especially providing a CDL...which could be fake. You have to "prove" stuff. There is also the question of insurance. My Company has to have Ontario coverage and then a seperate policy for Que'bec....lots of things even between Provinces are different. I think the Medical Card will trasfer though.

But rather than list all the "reasons" why....to get right down to it.
You are talking about more than a temporary work Visa. Any Country is going to limit how long a visitor has to live, work, stay in-Country. You may need to apply for some things even as much as a year or more in advance...

...so...your REAL attendtion should be directed to the Canadian Consulate General...the RCMP...and the Ontario Ministry of Transportation.
They will advise you to all your concerns, and what forms to fill, and etc.

I think you can apply for an International Driver's Permit here in the States that will get you about 3 months to live and work in Ontario. I have no idea if that is long enough for you to complete the conversion process....but my guess is...nope. Only because I think when you are dealing with Governments....you need to resign yourself to lots of fees and forms. You will no doubt need fingerprint cards from every State you lived in here and one from the FBI as well. That always takes a couple months. Then same deal with the RCMP. You have to prove you never were arrested in Canada too.

Anyway...you are looking at becoming a Canadian resident...so...you are looking at some paperwork and following the process. I don't think it is a difficult ...just formalities.

You know...even here in the States....you can't have a license from Oklahoma..and live in Texas. ...right? It's not like you are changing Citizenship...as much as Texas wants to see it that way...but you still have only a short grace period to do your paperwork and pay the Govener his fee's.

When you find out all the stuff you need to go through...I hope you come back and let us know...what all was required.
Very interested...I love topics that are not about how many cpm I can make....or does anyone know what Companies hire drug addicts?
Old 01-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Rookie

Understood. My situation is unique in that I hold dual citizenship and living/working in either country isn't an issue.

I've inquired with the MTO and they don't have an answer. An American moving to Canada can easily exchange a regular drivers license for an equivalent license. But exchanging a CDL-A for a AZ doesn't apply. And I simply wonder "Why not?" Driving a truck in Canada isn't different than driving a truck in the States.

I gave up my CDL-A and started from scratch through my Canadian employer to obtain a BZ. When I returned to Oklahoma five months ago I gave up my Ontario BZ and was reissued my Oklahoma CDL-A since they will do that provided it has been less than 36 months since giving up an Oklahoma CDL-A.

Anyways, because no government agency I've talked to has been able to provide a concrete answer to this I guess I'll always wonder "Why not?"

As an aside to your Texas residency example... my residency is Oklahoma but when I take my time off I park my truck at a USX facility in New York and drive my car across the border to Ontario where my wife lives.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw64
As an aside to your Texas residency example... my residency is Oklahoma but when I take my time off I park my truck at a USX facility in New York and drive my car across the border to Ontario where my wife lives.
:lol: Trucker Diplomatic Immunity. hehehehe
...who says we are not Cosmopolitan.

Well...like you, I am not finding anything either. I have my speculations, and that is too worthless. I don't know how things in the past have been, but there is a new sign's of the times, especially with Border's. Now Passports are even required of Citizen's at Canadian Border's. Eventually, Trucker's will be require this as well.

Hazmat, insurance, industry standards, all easy conditions for Government to see oppertunities to milk it for money. No doubt this will become more of a clusterF in days ahead. :?
Old 01-20-2007, 01:47 AM
Board Regular

When I moved from Ontario, Canada back in 2004 I had my AZ license. I went to the DOT here in Wisconsin and they transferred it to a CDL. No problems at all. Only part they wouldn't transfer was my HazMat. Said I'd have to rewrite that. Drive safe everyone.