User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default useing 770s and 780s for flatbed work

don't know if this is the right place for this but the other day i saw i guy useing a 770 pulling a load of lumber and wonder why i mean would it not be better to use like a mack with a 70" mid roof because it weight less then the volvo.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I have see plenty of Combinations like this, and if given the choice of flying First Class or Coach...I'd choose the Luxury Liner.

I drove a 770 a few years back, and hooked mostly Reefer..with some Van, straight and drop Flats, and double Flats during Fruit harvest time.

Smaller Companies do A-Z stuff to keep busy. You take local runs as well as cross-country.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The 770 is a heavy tractor. Unless you have a fairly light trailer, you could miss some loads pulling a flat bed. As long as you can scale at least 45M pounds you should not have too much problem with loads. Some can be very heavy. A friend of mine can scale about 50M pounds with his rig. He has a 45' aluminum trailer and light weight truck.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Board Icon

Agreed GMAN...this is not your typical Combination. A full time flatty is going to use a lighter Tractor. Most likely when you see a 770 hooked to a flatbed...it's not his usual run.
Depends on your accounts. I knew an oldtimer who hauled this way all the time. Guess his loads always were the same and permitted this with no trouble.
If I remember my 770...I cringed at anything over 42k. There were some loads I ran very light on fuel.