User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006, 01:21 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Music/CD Player

For those of you who don't have Sirius/XM how do you deal with music on the road? My husband's truck doesn't have anything except a cassette player we're not even sure works or not.
He would much rather run with his own music, than get satellite radio, as what he's actually looking for isn't routinely on there. Does anybody know of a good way to get a CD player? I haven't been able to find them to run directly off 12V..and we're concerned about the portable ones bouncing around too much and skipping a lot. Has anybody run one in a truck? Thanks.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:52 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Music/CD Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by madii'swife
For those of you who don't have Sirius/XM how do you deal with music on the road? My husband's truck doesn't have anything except a cassette player we're not even sure works or not.
He would much rather run with his own music, than get satellite radio, as what he's actually looking for isn't routinely on there. Does anybody know of a good way to get a CD player? I haven't been able to find them to run directly off 12V..and we're concerned about the portable ones bouncing around too much and skipping a lot. Has anybody run one in a truck? Thanks.
go and buy a cd player for a car and install it. most trucks will fit a standard size cd player and any decent audio store will have the wire harness for a fast hook up. just keep the tape deck so he can replace it when he leaves
Old 12-28-2006, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
go and buy a cd player for a car and install it. most trucks will fit a standard size cd player and any decent audio store will have the wire harness for a fast hook up. just keep the tape deck so he can replace it when he leaves
Before taking anything out of a truck get permission first. Also keep in mind that the wiring harness from the trucks radio will most likely not match up to the new radio which is going to require cutting and splicing of the radio wiring harness to install.

What I would, and have done, is set a car am/fm/cd player on the dash, hook a cig lighter plug on it and put a couple of speakers in the corners. If the truck you are in has a top of the dash CB mount place it there and then tie your cb down on top (or vice-a-versa).
Old 12-28-2006, 04:32 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I use a mini-iPod. You can buy a shuffle iPod pretty reasonable. I've seen many other mp3 players at good prices too.

With my iPod...I can make my own playlists, or even download audio books, podcasts, etc.
Right now I have my French language lessons, a couple hundred songs on about 12 different playlists, and like to watch podcasts of The Comedy Channel, and The Daily Show. I can rearrange my songs and playlists, etc. all from my laptop using iTunes on my computer. I have a song library of over 3,000 songs. I use LimeWire to gather the music I like.

I also play guitar, so I download what is called "backing tracks" to my iPod. This is a song with everything on it, but the Lead Guitar part. I can play the backing tracks and then play along with my guitar, filling in the Lead part. The "backing tracks" I can make up myself too, with my recording processor...but that's another story. I take my guitar and some other gadgets all with me on the Truck.

The iPods have various docking stations you can buy for speakers, so you don't have to wear headphones.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
Right now I have my French language lessons....
Maybe we should rename you roadfrog! :lol:
Old 12-28-2006, 05:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Quote:
Right now I have my French language lessons....
Maybe we should rename you roadfrog! :lol:
now that a good one :lol: :lol:
Old 12-28-2006, 07:09 AM
Senior Board Member

omg terry that was good!

sorry froggy....er roadie, but it was :wink: :mrgreen:
Old 12-28-2006, 07:24 AM
Board Icon

Harumpfh...I have clues no what tou meeen...and I dooont cure.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I use a mini-iPod. You can buy a shuffle iPod pretty reasonable. I've seen many other mp3 players at good prices too.

With my iPod...I can make my own playlists, or even download audio books, podcasts, etc.
Right now I have my French language lessons, a couple hundred songs on about 12 different playlists, and like to watch podcasts of The Comedy Channel, and The Daily Show. I can rearrange my songs and playlists, etc. all from my laptop using iTunes on my computer. I have a song library of over 3,000 songs. I use LimeWire to gather the music I like.

I also play guitar, so I download what is called "backing tracks" to my iPod. This is a song with everything on it, but the Lead Guitar part. I can play the backing tracks and then play along with my guitar, filling in the Lead part. The "backing tracks" I can make up myself too, with my recording processor...but that's another story. I take my guitar and some other gadgets all with me on the Truck.

The iPods have various docking stations you can buy for speakers, so you don't have to wear headphones.
With all that electronic fluff you play with, when do you find the time to DRIVE there frog.....ahhh.....dog....(pardon mon offence )
Old 12-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Board Icon

:lol: It's really not that much stuff. My laptop of course...which has all my music and guitar programs...and then my guitar with it's gadgets that all pack in the case.
:lol: I run reefer...and I'm driving 500-800 miles in a day. Truth is...at the end of my days tour...I usually don't feel like doing much of anything but sleep. But...if I'm stuck at loading docks for 2-6 hours...(common) that is when I'll play my guitar, or at resets.

The music, Language lessons, audiobooks, comedy channels...I listen to...when I'm rollin. It helps a lot to keep myself from arguing with myself, or to keep myself from ranting and raving at the 4-wheelers...or the imaginary Dispatcher running for his life out infront of my rig. :roll:

I tried Sirius for a while...and got sick of it. I'm real particular when it comes to music.

I have French, German, and Spanish language lessons I can download to my iPod. I started these languages as a kid...but I'm still only intermediate level.
This coming Summer...I hope to be in Edinburgh, Scootlund with Wot. The least I can do when we Team over in South France...is be able to tell those Froggies where they can stick it in the worst most broken Redneck French...hehehe. :P Mon Dieu leur dit froggies dans leur bout. :lol:

And...when I'm rotting away in some Bulgarian Jail...I wanna know WTF they are saying. :lol: ops:

One other gadget worth mentioning. I bring my little Sylvania TV/DVD/CD Combo with me and it also does a very nice job of playing CD's.... :wink:

I have a lot of gadgets, but it is not as bad as it sounds. Everything is compact, and there if I want it. You are right...most of the time...life out there is BUSY and you have NO TIME for stuff...or you are too tired to care. The time I seem to have... to enjoy stuff...is when I'm rolling. Music tops that list. I like only the songs I want to hear.