User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CB RADIO ?'s

i have a few questions as far as my CB goes, i could never fit them all into 1 category so this topic is for anyone who has any ?'s on cb's, antennae's, coax, ETC

1. i recently purchased a brand new galaxy 959 radio(brand new)

2. the coax and antennae in my truck are/were 6yrs old.

3. i purchased a wilson antennae(59.99) and a coax that was maybe 10 or 11 bucks(by diesel elctonics) cheap one.

one of my questions would be since radio is new do i need to have it peaked and tuned? and is there a better coax cable i can buy that will give me better results because i can receive(hear) guys talking a few miles down the road, but its like you have to be almost within a few hundred yards for u to hear me? if so where can i buy a good coax and what can i expect to spend??? thx in advance
Old 12-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Board Regular

Check the coax for corrosion, from being outside in the weather they often get coroded, and since it is 6 yrs old it may need to be replaced

you do not have to buy an expensive coax, the most important thing is that your antenna is tuned properly, you do not have to have an expensive antenna, just one that is tuned properly, if you can't do this yourself have a cb shop do it for you, and they have all the meters to make sure it is correct.

Many guys think that by going out and buying a big expensive antenna will make them heard better, but they don't realize that if it is not tuned properly and has the correct SWR it is useless
Old 12-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Board Regular

As far as peaking and tuning you can do it if you want, but I stay away from most of those cb shops at the truckstops, I don't trust just anyone messing around with my radio

I run a Galaxy 93T, one of the most expensive galaxies and I use a single wilson antenna and an inexpensive coax, my SWR is down to nothing and my radio sounds crystal clear, my boyfriend knows a lot about cb radios and ten meter radios and he also fixes radios, so I learned a lot from him about radios

A wilson antenna is a good antenna, and it is more than you will ever need, don't go out and buy one of those big monkey made antennas (the big ones with the big coils on them) you don't need one of those, they are meant for guys that are using big power (like 1000 watts or more)
Old 12-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Senior Board Member

I ran a tweaked up "Cobra 29 LTD"; nothing fancy, but it did everything that I needed it to do!!

One major drawback that I had to cope with was that it did not have an "Echo Box" that I could turn up so that no one could understand a word I had said, nor did it have a "Roger Beep" so that everyone would know that I had just said something that no one could understand because my echo box was turned up so high!!
Old 12-24-2006, 09:48 PM

I run a Galaxy 959 I have it peaked and tuned, and the echo on it. I put a Astatic mike and run a cobra antenna. Plus a 200 watt kicker, just so I can get over the jack a$$es that run around Houston with all those stupid noise makers. But once I hit the open road I turn off the kicker and run bare foot.

I think if you want good performance out of your radio take it to a good CB shop get it peaked and tuned, and have your SWR's set. Also there is something to be said about having a good mike hooked to it. After the mike, peak and tune, and the SWR's set everything eles is just extra and a matter of personnal choice.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Senior Board Member

what about a linear amplifier what exactly does that do?? so its a good thing to have my radio peaked and tuned and the swr's set then correct?
Old 12-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27208
what about a linear amplifier what exactly does that do?? so its a good thing to have my radio peaked and tuned and the swr's set then correct?
Amps are good to have if there isnt any traffic. In west Texas,for an example. They would work good there. Some of the Fed Ex guys have them in their trucks for that long range talkin. If you get a Linear Amp,your radio has to be barefoot. Nothing. If your radio is peeked,and tuned,it will blow.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 12-26-2006, 12:13 AM
Senior Board Member

cool, i think ill just get radio peaked and tuned cuz, i hear if you dont hook it(linear) up right it will cause a fire or something!