User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2006, 06:14 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

well i know penn tank lines pays by the hr. But am also looking into BRT i dont know how they pay.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
More often than not, a new driver will be put on the night shift and almost all gas haulers run a 7 day 24 hour operation and holidays are rare.

Also keep in mind that not all tank lines pay by the hour. The pay is usually based per load....

Quote:
can see that. But it sure beats finger printing a 53' load of , well anything!
Oh yeah Tanker Yanking is most definitely better than hand humping a 53' wagon at a hateful grocery warehouse!!!
Are you talking about C & S Wholesale Grocery? I have been there it has to be the worst place to be.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Not so much hearing horror stories but by watching the nightly news and reading the daily paper...

A driver has to be aware of what they are hauling and what it can do. However, constantly worrying will cause that same driver to be dangerous to themself and others around them...

Not only will a gas hauler get into tight spaces but will also go into interesting and rough neighbourhoods. Plus, will have to deal with stupid people who will park on top of the gas drops or will walk by the trailer lighting up a smoke or, will walk by with a lit whatever. Yes some have even tried to toss a lit whatever as the driver tries to unload...

Another point to make is that the driver will have to deal with all types of weather. The driver will get wet, freeze, bake and so on. The driver cannot sit in the cab while loading or unloading nor, can they stand in the store at the unloading spot. It sucks during rough weather but, that's the way the rules go...

With all that in mind petroleum hauling can be fun and just think, the heaviest thing a driver has to handle is a 4" hose....
Right on the money.

I haul for a local company home every night, i get sick days personal day days med, dental, and holiday pay and 21.00 an hour. Easiest job i have ever had.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Rookie

Out here there are goendyke and coastel they are local. I've looked around for info about them but no luck yet. Anybody know about them?
Old 12-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Red~
Out here there are goendyke and coastel they are local. I've looked around for info about them but no luck yet. Anybody know about them?
Have you tried talking with the drivers???

Old 12-25-2006, 06:25 AM

Tight spaces? You guys got it easy with the lower vertical clearance! I have to pull a van through those same places :-([/quote]

You are just delivering product to the store and you could probably park any way you can get in. We first have to get into the station and then spot the trailer up to the drops, which will be in a variety of different positions. Dont usually just pull in and right up to the drops. There is usually quite a bit of jockying to get in the right spot, not to mention watching people zip around the station and not care if you see them or not and trying not to knock over pumps. It looks easy,but if you dont park right you will kill yourself dragging long hoses all day when you could have used short ones. The hoses are not heavy but a long hose filled with gas on an uphill slope is stupid heavy. Great job and great monet though.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamster
Tight spaces? You guys got it easy with the lower vertical clearance! I have to pull a van through those same places :-(
You are just delivering product to the store and you could probably park any way you can get in. We first have to get into the station and then spot the trailer up to the drops, which will be in a variety of different positions. Dont usually just pull in and right up to the drops. There is usually quite a bit of jockying to get in the right spot, not to mention watching people zip around the station and not care if you see them or not and trying not to knock over pumps. It looks easy,but if you dont park right you will kill yourself dragging long hoses all day when you could have used short ones. The hoses are not heavy but a long hose filled with gas on an uphill slope is stupid heavy. Great job and great monet though.[/quote]

You would be surprised at how much freight some of these convenience stores take. Especially in the summer with gatorade and poweraide and all the water and crap.

Much like you will kill yourself if you don't get close enough to the drops, it is back breaking work to bring 150 cases of gatorade across a parking lot or from the street. Best to drop the ramp from the trailer right at the entrance of the store, and that takes jocking as well, but a lot of these gas stations canopy clearances are only around 13' so you have to be really careful not to clip them.

Oh and I'm not exaggerating on the gatorade either. I have a number of stops that in the summer they buy INSANE amounts of it because "we get a good deal!".

One stop in particular was buying like 120 cases of gatorade a week, she had me put it in her manager's office. Went all the way around her desk there was a little path she had from her door to her chair and desk, the entire rest of the office was full of beverages almost to the ceiling.

So if you're parking across the parking lot each week, it would take forever to run that much down the ramp and all the way across the lot and then into the store back to the office.