User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default the best GPS program for PC or seperate NAv system

Im wondering whats the best GPS program for trucking or the seperate gps systems out there, such as the new cobra one.. Any input on any model would be helpful as im looking to purchase one soon..
Old 12-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Senior Board Member

I use CoPilot 9 (truck version) and love it. I've never used a standalone system.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Board Regular

I use Microsoft Streets and Trips. I have an 8 inch wide screen LCD monitor mounted on my dash, ebay for $250, hooked to a laptop in my sleeper. I bought a GPS antenna off of Amazon for around $50 and a 20 foot monitor cable off of ebay for around $10 and MS trips for $20. I control it all with a wireless mouse, ebay for $20.

The whole set up cost me around $350, as I already had an extra laptop that I wasn't using.

The MS software works great, but I don't really use it for the direction part. I like it for the fact that I can see my turns ahead of time on the screen. As you will find in time, that the directions you get from the software are not always the best way to get a truck into a shipper or receiver. And I normally don't want to waste the time punching in addresses and such, as I've been out here awhile and pretty much know all of the what's in between stuff and how to get there in the quickest way possible.

And that is something that none of the mapping software programs give you, at least that I know of, the quickest way. I use Prophecy in the office, which is supposed to be one of the best truck routing programs out there, and it does not give you the quickest route. There is the shortest way, and then there is the quickest way. I usually know better then the computer.

What I do is call ahead to my destination and get my directions from the customer. I then use the mapping software to find my streets while driving and glancing at that highly visible 8 inch lcd monitor on my dash. This is a great help when the street signs in some places are not visible, or just not there. And if I miss a turn, and this does happen, I can use the map on the dash to get me safely turned around and back to where I should be.

This all works fine for me, but might be a bit much for some. I went with this set up, because it gave me a screen that was big enough for me to actually see while driving, without straining my eyes and losing concentration on the driving part.

As far as the stand alones, I have heard good things about the Cobra GPS, and it can be had for a good price if one shops around.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Do a search on GPS and this forum .. I have posted very specific advantages and disadvantages of PC based GPS vs. say a Garmin.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:10 AM

I use the TOM TOM one. I love it, and not sure if you are new or not but definitely get to know your atlas first. As most of the GPS standalones are not really made for trucks and you need to pay attention. Example going 75sb and coming up to Atlanta. GPS thinks you are in a car so they tell you to stay on 75sb. So you still need to pay attention to details. The one thing I love about it is since I cannot go 75 and I take 285. It sees that and reroutes me the way of 285.

But I use a combo of my atlas, streets and trips and for more detailed directions when I'm driving the GPS. BOL
Old 12-04-2006, 03:18 AM
Board Regular

You can buy a laptop that has a TV card with remote and the ability to record and play DVDs for the price you will pay for a stand-alone GPS unit. Get a couple of portable hard drives and you can bring all your music and downloaded movies with you when you hit the road. Add an aircard for Internet connectivity and then you’re in business. Try doing all of that with a stand-alone GPS unit.

As for as the navigation software is concerned, just buy MS Streets and Trips, it’s all you need and does an excellent job.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:25 AM

I use a Garmin 7200 and I think it rocks. Great purchase. You probably won't find one in stores, but if you look around online they are available. I paid under 900 for mine. They have a BIG screen, which I like. Also, the memory is all flashram, which I also prefer. Some of the others use hard dives, and for as much as they get bumped around, or lose power due to turning the truck on, or the cord getting bumped, I would be concerned about using a hard drive.

I started off with DeLorme on my laptop, which was strapped to the passenger seat. While it is a decent program, it is nowhere near as nice as the Garmin. Also, my laptop was getting jarred around too much. Too much dust and dirt, and scuffs too. The laptop sits in it's case now until I feel the need to use it.

Once again, I am very satisfied with the Garmin. I recommend it highly.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:40 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Example going 75sb and coming up to Atlanta. GPS thinks you are in a car so they tell you to stay on 75sb.
To solve that little issue in MS Streets and Trips, draw a square through the center part of Atlanta, right click inside the square and select avoid area. Now the next time you route through Atlanta, MS Streets and Trips will route you around on I-285. You may want to save that avoid area square as part of your default map so that you won’t have to repeat the process each and every time you go to or through Atlanta.

If you ever have to deliver inside the loop, simply right click inside the avoid area square that you designated and remove the check mark from where it says avoid area. A black border will be left remaining. Place your cursor on one of its edges and press the delete button. The black border will disappear. Now you will be able to route inside the loop again as before.

This little trick works well in any cities where you find the software routing through the interior of the cities but would prefer that it would route around the perimeters instead. Like, for instance, in Columbus, OH, Washington, DC, and San Antonio, TX.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:25 AM

Streets and Trips and a good trucker atlas works for me
Old 12-07-2006, 03:50 AM
Rookie

I've used the street and trips, and its fairly accurate

I also own a Garmin handheld 60c ... limited but not bad for my motorcycle.

I guess I will have to upgrade to something more mobile and convenient at some point, but nothing replaces a good surface map.