User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Dogs In Trucks?

What are everyone's views on having a dog with you in the truck? My family is getting ready to move and I can now finally get a dog. I've seen many drivers at truck stops with dogs and even say a lady with a cat, lol. Is it hard to train the dog i.e., get over riding in the truck, being scared, and what not? I've seen ads in pilot's magazine for dogs/puppies that've been trained for truck riding. I'm too cheap for that. I'm not 100% serious about doing it but I think it'd be cool to have the dog along.

Pros and Cons?
Old 11-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

We have discussed this before. You might do a search. Some people like having a dog, other do not. Personally, I don't think it is a good idea to have a pet in the truck. Some shippers prohibit them on their premises. I have had two drivers who had dogs without permission in one of my trucks. I will not allow a dog in any truck that I own. Some other companies feel the same way. The last driver who had a dog in one of the trucks pretty much trashed the truck. Dog hair was everywhere. There are some companies who will allow a pet. Some may require a deposit to take care of any damage. Whether you like pets or not has nothing to do with whether you have one with you on the road. It takes additional time to walk the animal which interferes with your work day. From a safety standpoint, I think having a pet in the truck could distract a driver and cause an accident. It costs a lot of money to clean a truck after a dog or any pet has been living it it. I like animals, but the road and riding in a truck is no place for one. They need to stay at home.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Rookie

Did a search and didn't turn up anything pertaining to the matter. Guess I just wasn't using the right keywords.

You've brought up some very good points. Just a silly idea I had, I guess.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Senior Board Member

one problem you run into is that at some customers. a dog cant get out of the truck on their property, if you are there 5 or 6 hours, it's not fair to expect to the dog to just hold it, they get used to getting out with you and as long as they can do that, it's not a problem, so if you do all drop and hook, or dont spend more than 15 or 20 minutes, at customers, then take a dog with you, otherwise, it's not fair to either of you.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:44 AM
Board Regular

I don't think it is fair to the animal. Don't get me wrong, I have two great dogs at home, with 3 acres to roam on. And, allot of places I go have "no pets allowed" policies as others have said.

Right now, I am stuck in a truck stop for the weekend, very little freight, and I don't haul the cheap stuff. I could not imagine having one of my dogs with me. We would probably get into a fight, and not speak to each other for a week. That would make for a long ride home! :shock:
Old 12-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Rookie

I know a guy that was at a Flying J in Kentucky. He went to eat dinner and came back and his dog had died. He went behind his truck and was digging a hole to bury him. The staff saw him and went berserk....I left so I'm not sure if they let him bury him or not.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:07 AM
Rookie

I'm surprised that no pro pet truckers chimed in here. While I wouldn't recommend a pet for somebody just learning the ropes and right out of school, a pet can be a wonderful addition to your OTR life. A dog can provide security, encourage you to excersize (which is something most truckers are SORELY lacking), is always happy to see you, keeps you warm at night when you can't snuggle with your sweetheart, etc... You have to make up your own mind, don't be intimidated by the opinions of others. Hear what they have to say, but then make your own decision. Some people can handle the responsibility, others can't. You just have to determine if you can, drive for a few months and learn to handle the truck first, once you're comfortable, consider a low maintenance breed to add to your life. NEVER impulse by, research any pet thouroughly!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Senior Board Member

I had a dog with me for a while and it was great. Having a companion out there on the road made things easier in a lot of ways. It was not all fun and roses however as it took a lot of extra work to keep the truck cleaned up of dog hair, but a good vac with a rotating beater brush did wonders in that regards.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Board Regular

I travel with my dog all the time. I have 3 purebred Siberian Huskies and usually take one of them with me. They love to travel and I enjoy their company. Before I get to a pick or drop I usually stop somewhere close by and let the dog out for a bit, to run around and do their business. Then things are good till I'm done at the company. Never had any problems with them on the road so far. I always make sure the truck is in top shape. I can make more of a mess than the dog while I'm on the road. LOL Drive safe everyone.