User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hello, new to the forum.

Hello all. I'm new to the forum but definitely not new to forums in general. I didn't see an introduction section, I may suggest it.

So I've been wanting to be a truck driver since I can remember. My dad told me to wait til I was 23 to get my CDL because many (good)company's insurance carrier won't pick you up until then. Needless to say, a week after my 23rd b-day I paid for my CDL driver training program and got my CDL. I've been in training for the last two months. Luckily, my dad got me a job starting with the same company he works for. Also fortunately for me, my dad is my trainer. The company is called B&B Services out of Lancaster, Pa. They're a semi-small company with about 100 drivers. My dad has told me that after 15 years, he wishes that he would've just started driving for this company in the first place, as he's only been with them for a year.

What can I say? I'm loving it! It's everything I thought it would be aside from the paperwork =\.

I've been going on runs with my dad since I was a lil tike. Every summer when school let out, I'd spend half my summer break with him in that truck. It's pretty awesome to be behind the wheel myself. I've been browsing through alot of horror stories and don't work for this company type threads. I'm extremely confident that I've made the right decision for my career path. The company that I now work for definitely takes care of their drivers. It's a local to regional company that pays very well. I am quite fortunate to get the training pay that I do after talking to all the big name recruiters that spit alot of yada yada i.e., swift ms carriers shcneider tmc smith transport. I'll be out on my own here next week with my own truck. They're starting me on local runs and going to work my way out as I feel comfortable. The most I'll ever be out is 48 hours at a time. My dad does some of the longest runs for the company and he's home at least twice a week and weekends are always guaranteed off.

With that being said, I'm still trying to get my backing skills down =]

I'm sure I'll run into one of you and maybe even ask for some spotting. I'd rather take a blow to my pride than a blow to another man's, or woman's, truck!

This is a great forum and there's much great information to be found here. The members seem pretty knowledgeable and courteous. To the admin/mods, keep up the good work!
Old 11-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Welcome-Congratulations, and Good Luck
Old 12-03-2006, 03:38 AM
Board Regular
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Good for you!

It is nice to hear something positive said regarding a trucking job!

It sounds like you are off to a good start, just stay away from the CB rambo types that never have anything good to say. You will be much happier, as you will find after time, that that bunch will never be happy, and rarely knows what they are talking about. Imagine that?

Good luck, and happy trails. :wink: