User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper01
You all sure OOida is a waste of time and money?

If it wasn't for OOida, over 95% of the BS, we as drivers, have to deal with will be dormat for eternity.
Name 10 things that OOIDA has done for the trucking industry as a whole.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

1 FOught for fuel surcharges for O/O. 2 Fought for detetion time. 3. Opposes any kind of onboard electronic data recorders. 3. Fights for truth in leases to prevent carriers form ripping off O/O. Rev there are alot more than 10 but I have to run called get your head out of the sand and get out of the ATA,
Old 11-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
1 FOught for fuel surcharges for O/O.
There were FSC long before OOIDA came along, and there will be FSC long after.

Quote:
2 Fought for detetion time.
Please cite an example of how they succeeded in this.

Quote:
3. Opposes any kind of onboard electronic data recorders.
So do I. Now send ME money too.

Quote:
3. Fights for truth in leases to prevent carriers form ripping off O/O.
There is one.

Quote:
Rev there are alot more than 10 but I have to run called get your head out of the sand and get out of the ATA,
I'm not in the ATA, and don't support the ATA. OOIDA and the ATA are more similar than you can imagine.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Senior Board Member

What has OOIDA accomplished?

OOIDA has made great strides during the past 30 years, but we believe the biggest accomplishments are those yet to come.

* In the 70’s, new member benefit programs were added to provide big fleet prices and benefits to small-business truckdrivers. Helping truckers to trim costs and maximize per-mile revenue was (and continues to be) a priority.
* OOIDA worked throughout the 70’s to bring the problems of professional truckers to the attention of lawmakers in Congressional hearings. These hearings resulted in the creation of the leasing regulations that still exist today.
* Additionally, in 1974, and again in 1979, OOIDA was instrumental in getting mandatory fuel surcharge programs for truckers put in place.
* During much of the 80’s, OOIDA worked towards gaining fair tax treatment from individual states. Lawsuits were filed against many states that set up discriminatory tax plans toward owner-operators and millions of dollars were ultimately returned to business owners.
* OOIDA also regularly fought attempts by the US DOT to strip the rights of truckers at random roadside stops and inspections.
* OOIDA’s strong lobbying efforts paid off in 1982 when nationwide uniform truck size and weight limits were established by Congress through the Surface Transportation Assistance Act. Later, the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 (ISTEA) froze the weight of longer combination vehicles and limited them to routes that were allowed by the states.
* Beginning in the early 90’s, OOIDA challenged the abusive practices of the Tennessee Public Service Commission toward drivers. A few years later, OOIDA (and all drivers) won this battle and the Tennessee PSC was abolished.
* In the mid-90’s, OOIDA was able to convince lawmakers that individual states should decide speed limits—not the U.S. Congress. OOIDA pushed for this change in the law with the help of the National Motorists Association, and over the objections of the American Trucking Association. Still today, you will not find another organization that fights for uniform speed limits or the abolishment of split speed limits for truckers on a consistent basis.
* After the ICC was dissolved, OOIDA fought hard to preserve protections for owner-operators and our efforts paid off as the ICC Termination Act included provisions to retain the truth-in-leasing regulations, allowing truckers to settle carrier disputes by filing a civil suit.
* In recent years, OOIDA attorneys have been focused on stopping the many violations of the leasing regulations that occur in owner-operator leasing contracts. OOIDA continues to file more lawsuits against motor carriers and several states in order to fight unfair and illegal treatment of drivers, violation of lumping laws, and private right of action, as well as double taxation.
* OOIDA continues to work on a number of important trucking issues as lawmakers consider highway programs for the next several years.
* We are fighting efforts to eliminate all regulations that currently apply to transportation brokers as has been proposed by the Bush Administration. We believe there should be far greater oversight…not less.
* We continue to push for creation of more rest areas through any and all means available.
* We are opposing efforts to turn our interstate highways into toll roads while pursuing opportunities to allow truckers to offset their increased costs for fuel, etc., through all available means.
* We are fighting efforts to divert highway tax money to non-highway related purposes.
* We are encouraging lawmakers to pursue a remedy to all of the lost time of drivers in the loading and unloading environment, and how this situation contributes to non-compliance with the rules, and highway safety.
* OOIDA is also pushing for comprehensive mandatory training for entry-level drivers--the kind of training that will teach new drivers to be safe and to comply with the rules—the kind of training that will ultimately elevate the caliber of people seeking to enter this industry as drivers.

http://www.ooida.com/about_us/about_us.html

Old 11-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Board Icon

I think that OOIDA is taking credit for a lot of things they either had no hand in, or played a very small role in.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:45 AM
Rookie

I am a member and I appreciate all they do on the legislative front, Unfortunately I have gone to them on a few personal matters and they have done absolutely nothing to help me out.

This is quite disappointing as all you hear on XM171 and 173 is praise about all they have done to help others with their problems. I will however, renew my membership for the work they do in Washington and I also enjoy Landline.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:14 AM

I just love how my membership dues go to their CRACKERJACK lobbyists and attorneys.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Senior Board Member

rev. i know your not this simple minded. the association known as ooida is
known for standing up not only for drivers but for commensense as a whole after the recent bs from schneider, wh,covenant ,dart,covenant,roadblahblah and other carriers they were the first ones to respond to their misfitted petition that we all have heard of. also for keeping r roads toll free as well as a plentiful list of other cases which include the likes of cr england and landstar with their improper lease purchase deals as well as fsc scams that follow.
lets all be reminded lobbyist arent free. if the federal goverment isnt working for you, or the the teamtsers, you have only two other choices ooida or yourself. JOIN
Old 11-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_o
rev. i know your not this simple minded. the association known as ooida is
known for standing up not only for drivers but for commensense as a whole after the recent bs from schneider, wh,covenant ,dart,covenant,roadblahblah and other carriers they were the first ones to respond to their misfitted petition that we all have heard of.
Which is the ONE place where I will give them credit. But since I am not leased, nor will I ever be leased, to any of those companies, I see no reason to fund them.

Quote:
also for keeping r roads toll free
How so? By calling for those ridiculous "boycotts"? :roll:

Quote:
as well as a plentiful list of other cases which include the likes of cr england and landstar with their improper lease purchase deals as well as fsc scams that follow.
So people leased to CRE and Landstarve should join OOIDA.

Quote:
lets all be reminded lobbyist arent free. if the federal goverment isnt working for you, or the the teamtsers, you have only two other choices ooida or yourself. JOIN
NAIT. Just sayin'.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Senior Board Member

I have to agree with Ben here, what he mentioned is well worth it.

Yes, i am an OOida member, and proud to be one. However, what i am not proud of is how those "Dumba*#es in Congress" keep throwing things out then get it pitched back to them.

Rev., With all due respect, i do not like your tone on this subject. Yes, there were things like the FSC in place well before OOida. If it wasn't for OOida being in place, half the stuff Ben wrote below would be shelved before it got to the drawing board. There are about 150,000 people who support OOida and i am 1 out of those 150,000. However, it is up to the individual where they stand as far as OOida vs. The Federal Govnerment is concerned. If it wasn't for OOida, the Feds would deregulate trucking some more and us drivers would be out of work, working for maybe $.05 on the dollar per mile instead of an average of $.30 a mile.

If the Federal Govnerment left well enough alone and allowed company drivers and Owner/Operators making $1.50 a mile, we all be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
What has OOIDA accomplished?

OOIDA has made great strides during the past 30 years, but we believe the biggest accomplishments are those yet to come.

* In the 70’s, new member benefit programs were added to provide big fleet prices and benefits to small-business truckdrivers. Helping truckers to trim costs and maximize per-mile revenue was (and continues to be) a priority.
* OOIDA worked throughout the 70’s to bring the problems of professional truckers to the attention of lawmakers in Congressional hearings. These hearings resulted in the creation of the leasing regulations that still exist today.
* Additionally, in 1974, and again in 1979, OOIDA was instrumental in getting mandatory fuel surcharge programs for truckers put in place.
* During much of the 80’s, OOIDA worked towards gaining fair tax treatment from individual states. Lawsuits were filed against many states that set up discriminatory tax plans toward owner-operators and millions of dollars were ultimately returned to business owners.
* OOIDA also regularly fought attempts by the US DOT to strip the rights of truckers at random roadside stops and inspections.
* OOIDA’s strong lobbying efforts paid off in 1982 when nationwide uniform truck size and weight limits were established by Congress through the Surface Transportation Assistance Act. Later, the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 (ISTEA) froze the weight of longer combination vehicles and limited them to routes that were allowed by the states.
* Beginning in the early 90’s, OOIDA challenged the abusive practices of the Tennessee Public Service Commission toward drivers. A few years later, OOIDA (and all drivers) won this battle and the Tennessee PSC was abolished.
* In the mid-90’s, OOIDA was able to convince lawmakers that individual states should decide speed limits—not the U.S. Congress. OOIDA pushed for this change in the law with the help of the National Motorists Association, and over the objections of the American Trucking Association. Still today, you will not find another organization that fights for uniform speed limits or the abolishment of split speed limits for truckers on a consistent basis.
* After the ICC was dissolved, OOIDA fought hard to preserve protections for owner-operators and our efforts paid off as the ICC Termination Act included provisions to retain the truth-in-leasing regulations, allowing truckers to settle carrier disputes by filing a civil suit.
* In recent years, OOIDA attorneys have been focused on stopping the many violations of the leasing regulations that occur in owner-operator leasing contracts. OOIDA continues to file more lawsuits against motor carriers and several states in order to fight unfair and illegal treatment of drivers, violation of lumping laws, and private right of action, as well as double taxation.
* OOIDA continues to work on a number of important trucking issues as lawmakers consider highway programs for the next several years.
* We are fighting efforts to eliminate all regulations that currently apply to transportation brokers as has been proposed by the Bush Administration. We believe there should be far greater oversight…not less.
* We continue to push for creation of more rest areas through any and all means available.
* We are opposing efforts to turn our interstate highways into toll roads while pursuing opportunities to allow truckers to offset their increased costs for fuel, etc., through all available means.
* We are fighting efforts to divert highway tax money to non-highway related purposes.
* We are encouraging lawmakers to pursue a remedy to all of the lost time of drivers in the loading and unloading environment, and how this situation contributes to non-compliance with the rules, and highway safety.
* OOIDA is also pushing for comprehensive mandatory training for entry-level drivers--the kind of training that will teach new drivers to be safe and to comply with the rules—the kind of training that will ultimately elevate the caliber of people seeking to enter this industry as drivers.

http://www.ooida.com/about_us/about_us.html