User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006, 04:58 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default GPS for the Truck

I work in TMC dispatch and since my background is in technology and telecommunications I've been given the chance to present the case for including GPS units in our trucks. So pretty much my first stop is here to get some advice from the guys out there on the road themselves.

For those of you who have a GPS in your truck:

What GPS brand and model do you use?

Did you Our of Route drop when you got the GPS? How much?

Does your GPS assure you truck legal routes or must you still check against an atlas to verify the routing is truck legal?

Does your GPS offer traffic, weather and or construction maps? Have they helped you better plan your trips?

If you don't have a GPS system: Why don't you have a GPS? Do you think it would help make you more productive in the road if the GPS came standard with the truck?

Any help is much appreciated and if TMC adopts fleet wide GPS systems someday it might be thanks to you!

You can answer here or private message me your answers. Any other comment is most welcome.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Tony,

There have been many GPS Topics. Do a search on: GPS, Co Pilot, Microsoft Streets and Trips among others. I am using Microsoft S&T. I not driving yet, so I haven't really put it to the test yet.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Senior Board Member

I've made numerous posts about using a GPS system in the truck, but I'll answer the questions here also - do a search for posts made by me, or as the previous poster said with the keywords he mentioned.

Quote:
What GPS brand and model do you use?
CoPilot 9 Truck Laptop and Microsoft Streets & Trips 2007

Quote:
Did you Our of Route drop when you got the GPS? How much?
I can't give any exact numbers on this. I've had times, however, when the GPS showed SHORTER miles than the routing provided by the company.

Quote:
Does your GPS assure you truck legal routes or must you still check against an atlas to verify the routing is truck legal?
Even with the truck specific version, I still verify against the MCRA to be sure. As much as I use the GPS, it's not 100% perfect by any means.

Quote:
Does your GPS offer traffic, weather and or construction maps? Have they helped you better plan your trips?
S & T shows construction, but not in all locations. It depends if the state reports it to the data service Microsoft uses.

Quote:
If you don't have a GPS system: Why don't you have a GPS? Do you think it would help make you more productive in the road if the GPS came standard with the truck?
To put GPS standard in every truck would be both a great tool and a hindrance at the same time, especially in a training company. All drivers should learn to route manually, because the technology is still not 100%. If the system would happen to go down, the driver needs to know how to route manually.

USXpress has announced that they are going to put CoPilot in every one of their trucks. Here is the press release from ALK: http://www.alk.com/press/releases/pr_102606.asp
Old 11-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Senior Board Member

I really like my Delorme Earthmate with Street Atlas 2007 for my laptop. I have been impressed by the ability to customize the map, route, and settings very easily. Computer literate people will pick it up in less than one hour. People with no computer experience before may take a bit longer, but the help feature is VERY functional.

If you want a demonstration Tony I am currently at TMC orientation in Des Moines. I am sending a private message to you.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien