User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What to buy(cb equip)

ok i never really cared to much for my radio, but i guess all of the sudden i do, i recently purchased a galaxy 959, and its a pretty good radio i guess, had to buy 2 new antenneas also, but i have to original coax on the truck from the factory(2000 freightliner) and i think that is my problem cause i cant really hear but within a mile of me, if i replace the coax on both sides and get a noise cancelling mic, get radio peaked and tuned, will that help? and is there a certain(good coax) to buy and from where........thx in advance
Old 10-29-2006, 12:55 AM
Board Icon

Any Galaxy radio is a good radio. Road King makes good mics. I have one,and one time I dropped it,and it knocked loose a wire,but got it fixed. Other than that,I havent had any problems. So youre having problems...check your coax. If your coax is visible,check for cracks,or any places that it might be twisted. If youre able to disconnect one side,just use one. I havent ever noticed any better by having dual entenners. You also want to check,test your SWR. You might also want to disconnect one side,and test that side,and also the other side to make sure both are good. If youre able to pull off the coaxes,you might want to start fresh by reinstalling fresh coax with your new entenners.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Test SWR? dont know how to do that? my coax is routed thru the mirrors so i cant see, but i took mirror cover off and my coax is no longer sticking to the mount it has broken off and my antennea is no longer upright, like i said coax is old, gonna try to buy mounting brackets and new coax 2morrow
Old 10-29-2006, 01:30 AM
Board Icon

Here is a link that may help ya on testing your SWR.

http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=...d=1&faq_id=184