User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I'm making a trucking movie :-D

Hello everyone.

I am a student studying film in Chicago and I am writing a script for a screenwriting class. You might be wondering what this all has to do with you, but I am writing a script about a truck driver.

Has anyone here in the Midwest ever heard of a magazine called '18 Wheel Singles'? Well, it's a magazine full of truck driver personals. Convict personals, too. Anyways, I was going to write a story about what would happen if a truck driver starting a relationship with one of these convicts and they go on a adventure filled, passion laden, quest across America full of destruction.

As such, I was wondering if I could get some ideas on what the life of an average truck driver it. For example, how do you get mail? Do you have to be at home everytime it comes? How are the sleeping arrangments? Are those little compartments above the driver station comfortable or do you usually try to find a hotel.

What's an average morning preparation routine like? How do you handle inventory of all the stuff that you're hauling? Have you ever run into a um...a driver whom you later found out had been dead for 10 years? Like it was a ghost. Like Large Marge for you PeeWee fans.

Are there any races between other truckers ever? Do many of you have pets on board? Do you name your trucks?

Feel free to give me any kind of feedback you want to. I want to know anything and everything you have to offer. Forgive my ignorance in some of these questions, but I really want to write a really fun movie that even truck drivers themselves can appreciate.

Also, please feel free to offer me any stories you can think of that involve strange relationships you have been in which have been made on the road. Or with convicts.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreaciate any help you can give.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:52 AM
Default Re: I'm making a trucking movie :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHarms

Has anyone here in the Midwest ever heard of a magazine called '18 Wheel Singles'? Well, it's a magazine full of truck driver personals. Convict personals, too. Anyways, I was going to write a story about what would happen if a truck driver starting a relationship with one of these convicts and they go on a adventure filled, passion laden, quest across America full of destruction.
Bwahahahahaha!

There's an old saying in the writing business. "Write what you know." That's where all the Hollywood types go wrong. Sounds like you are writing another "Snakes on a Plane" to me.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:59 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerlin
Quote:

Bwahahahahaha!

There's an old saying in the writing business. "Write what you know." That's where all the Hollywood types go wrong. Sounds like you are writing another "Snakes on a Plane" to me.
I kind of like to think of screenwriting as something where I can go out and learn about whatever it is I'm writing about, that way, through screenwriting, I can gain a deeper appreciation and understanding for a whole bunch of aspects of life!

I mean, how else do people write period pieces? Or Jurassic Park? Or movies with both men and women in them?

However, though, I think 'Snakes on a Truck' does have a few possibilities...
Old 10-25-2006, 03:06 AM
Rookie

In my opinion there is only 2 good trucking movies and that is all there ever will be . 1) comedy smokey and the bandit 1 !!!! 2) drama and thats convoy . some people think they are truck driving training films.lol
Old 10-25-2006, 11:33 AM

Hmmm...a truck driver with a million and one rules and regulations and a convict with none. On the road? Together?

Might be easier to write a 5-part Shockumentary for Discovery.

Read this guys post - throw in a convict and inject humor - you'll have a winner!
http://classadrivers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18642

Good luck with your project
Old 10-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="emerlin"]
Quote:

Hey....i liked "Snakes on a Plane"
Yes, I know it was silly, unbelievable, and had a stupid story. But it was hilarious. Sometmes the mindless movies are entertaining.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I hate snakes and there's no way I'd watch that movie
Old 10-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Board Icon

Sorry, but we DO NOT NEED another source to sway public sentement against trucking. A "path of destruction", indeed. There is a small company that wanted to buy a piece of land for a terminal. Everybody in the area was dead set against it. "THE PLACE WILL BE FULL OF PROSTITUTES!!!" The general public already has a WARPPED PRECEPTION of the trucking industry. And, obviously, you are no exception.

Want BLOOD AND GUTS??? Show a few of the accidents caused by the 4-wheelers. Help pass on the information about what is and is not safe to do around trucks. Might even be able to save a few lives that way.

Oops. Forgot.... You're part of that general public that doesn't know anything about it, because DOT isn't telling you.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
I hate snakes and there's no way I'd watch that movie
How about snakes on a truck bet you would watch that one :P
Old 10-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerlin
Quote:

Bwahahahahaha!

I kind of like to think of screenwriting as something where I can go out and learn about whatever it is I'm writing about, that way, through screenwriting, I can gain a deeper appreciation and understanding for a whole bunch of aspects of life!

I mean, how else do people write period pieces? Or Jurassic Park? Or movies with both men and women in them?

However, though, I think 'Snakes on a Truck' does have a few possibilities...
Your not going to get the experience from a message board. Get yor CDL drive a truck for a couple of years and then you might have a story.