User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006, 01:53 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default from bad times to good times and back again

First off this is just a personal story ,but I think it is interesting. My father has been a trucker since mind 80's after farming took a crap. He started as a ups holiday drive for the christmas season, and after the christmas season was let go. Then he drove for a company called carl subler ( not sure about subler spelling or if it was transport or what).

After that he bacame an o/o he bought an old cab over ford that broke down so much he had to take 2 company jobs just to make the payments and the repairs. Then came the cab over frieghtliner used he drove that for 5 years . Has owned 3 volvo's over the last fifteen years. Hes been robbed in the bronx hauling eggs and he has been on the start up of two companys .

He has worked for dart, craigs ,magnum ,Jb ,schniender and a few more in between and some 2 or more times never left on terms where he couldn't go back. So I went to him 1 year ago and said I decided to be a trucker. His responce was less than warm it went to the tune of QUOTE: ARE YOU F***ING STUPID!!!!!!!!

I am 31 with a wife and 2 kids one is handicapped. Well after finding out I was stupid I asked why I was stupid , and this is the reasons for his responce. He said trucking was the best thing that ever happened to him even with the ups and downs he encountered ,but things aren't what they used too be fuel is high frieght is cheap . Truckers aren't as tight of group like they where . In his opion when a trucker was broke down us to be 5 others would stop to help now they just drive by.The traffic sucks,only half the trucks on the road are drivin by truckers the rest are drivin by steering wheel holders. Well these are just a few of the reasons givin . There is really no reason for this post other than I find it sad that a man that has drivin for twenty some years and loved it is now ready to run as far away from trucking as possible.
Just looking for some other peoples opions on the state of trucking,Plus I'm still going to work for millis in 2007. Well on the plus side he finally got a run dedicated from chicago to cleveland which pays good and he really likes , and hopefully last another three years till he retires
Old 10-19-2006, 02:25 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Much of what your father says is true. I guess one of my biggest beefs is the mentallity of those making the rules. While many of the rules make sense, there are some that come from a mentallity equal to the lady that demanded the "DEER CROSSING" sign be moved from near her driveway because too many deer were being hit and killed there. Somewhere, someone has found out that when we get a CDL, we each have a "FAIRY GODFATHER" to THUMP us on the head with a magic wand and make us "perfect drivers". We become "PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS" in every sense, except "EXPERT TESTIMONY IN A COURT OF LAW". Doctors and lawyers have PRACTICES. But, driving everyday, and learning new things about driving every day is NOT a practice.... It should be. As more and more freight brokers come along, they "undercut" existing rates, and freight gets cheaper instead of keeping pace with the cost of living.

I'd suggest getting a job at an "AUTOMOBILE ASSEMBLY PLANT". if the pay does not keep up with the cost of living, the UNION goes on strike. You're married with two kids??? That will have you home every day, or night.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:28 AM
Board Icon

Your Dad was right-Not about you being Stupid-But the Difference in Trucking When he started trucking and trucking today. As an O/O a person has to be highly selective on Loads to be hauled and set a Bottom line figure if he/she has to go low.
Money is still out there to be made though.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:19 AM
Rookie

WindTalker let me tellyou about me I have worked as a maintenance man at a wastewater treatment plant from1994 to1/2005 I started out making 7.00hr after 10 years and 6 months I was making 16.50hr. I left to be an emergency maintenance guy at a aluminum plant that made wheels. They melted,cast,machined and painted wheels I lasted from 1/2005 to 7/2005 my average biweekly check was 1500.00 after taxes and insurance . The reason I left was I was not built to work in 100 plus degree temps. I went back to my previous employer in july 2005 at the same rate , and now am at 17.79hr . It is local goverment owned and i could retire after 30 years.

I have been thier since i was 19 years old . I weld ,fabricate ,deal with parts suppliers repair equipment that was obsolete when it was new 1985. I am all about change and challenges no offense to factory works but line workers are people who don't like challenges and like repetition.

My friend is a mechanic for a teamster outfit and they are looking for help, and to be truthful I have turned wrenches on just about everything for farm tractor ,cars ,trucks ,tractors ,construction equipment ,pumps ,blowers and other things that most people wouldn't know what I was talking about unless they worked wastewater or aluminum. So basicaly I am sick of turning wrenches and electrical work , and trucking is going to be my next challange.