User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Proffesional Courtesy

I'm wondering what happened to (Proffesional Courtesy) on the road & in the Trucking Bizz such as use of lights and such at Night or in Adverse Weather Conditions. I wonder if it is a due to lazyiness. I don't care isum Or maybe our current class of So Called Professional Drivers think it a sign of weakness.Just another instance of our Former Old School Ways gone by the way side forever.Doe's anybody care anymore! What's your spin on this issue?
Old 10-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

It's the "New Breed" :roll:
Old 10-14-2006, 06:41 PM

No longer flashing the truck lights is not a matter of laziness.

It is more of a legal issue. In this type of situation, the "Good Samaritan Law" does not apply to us. We are trained that if we give the "ALL OK" signal to another truck, we could be held legally liable for the damages that might result if that truck gets into an accident in pulling back into the lane.

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/
Old 10-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Senior Board Member

I think maybe he's talking about drivers that don't bother to turn on their lights late in the evening or in rainy conditions. ???
Old 10-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvsreck
I think maybe he's talking about drivers that don't bother to turn on their lights late in the evening or in rainy conditions. ???
It's not just trucks - I'm seeing more and more cars that are not running lights well after dusk.

They are all idiots who are looking for a reason to get pulled over.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:22 AM
Board Regular

JBenson, I've looked online for over a half an hour to find a legitimate source to back your statement and could not.

To the best of my knowledge, a driver of a commercial vehicle is responsible for controlling his own vehicle and is responsible for any direct action that causes death, injury, or damage to property.

Which is reinforced by the saying (use boston accent): 'ey! Truhst nohbahdy [trust nobody]!"

In which I state that anytime I see another motorist give me the "go ahead" signal, however that may be, I always double check to make sure it really is ok to go ahead. If I make a mistake and cause an accident, I am the one held liable, not the signalling motorist.

I have heard that you can get a ticket in the State of Arizona for flashing your lights to a fellow passing truck driver because they should be able to know where the end of their vehicle is. And yes, that is applicable in inferred terms elsewhere, as reinforced by the straight backing maneuver every state examiner requires a driver to perform in order to acquire a CDL.

However, the Good Samaritan law, has no bearing in this case. The Good Samaritan law protects ordinary citizens from prosecution if they perform aide to a person or property in distress or an emergency situation, unless their actions are found to be grossly negligent or reckless. This has nothing to do with truckers giving other truckers the "go ahead" signal. Correct me if I am mistaken.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:17 AM
Board Icon

In VA, flash your lights to let another truck know their clear and some 4 wheeler ahead of you in your lane sees it and thinks your mad at them for something, they can call the cops for aggressive driving on you. Same if you toot your horn to someone you know, if another driver hears it and thinks your doing out of anger towards them, they can call the cops on you for aggressive driving too.

The light flashing bothers me because the state highway rules say that your supposed to flash your lights if you come up behind someone slower than you that is in your way. It says that you flash them as a courtesy to ask them to pull over yet it can get you pulled for aggressive driving. Same with the horn tooting, your supposed to toot your horn before you pass someone in VA but it can also get you hit with aggressive driving.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:41 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
In VA, flash your lights to let another truck know their clear and some 4 wheeler ahead of you in your lane sees it and thinks your mad at them for something, they can call the cops for aggressive driving on you. Same if you toot your horn to someone you know, if another driver hears it and thinks your doing out of anger towards them, they can call the cops on you for aggressive driving too.

The light flashing bothers me because the state highway rules say that your supposed to flash your lights if you come up behind someone slower than you that is in your way. It says that you flash them as a courtesy to ask them to pull over yet it can get you pulled for aggressive driving. Same with the horn tooting, your supposed to toot your horn before you pass someone in VA but it can also get you hit with aggressive driving.
If you run in Western Canada you'll find that they do that also.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Driving and not having lights on at all times? I can place the blame squarely at Bill Clinton's feet. :P
Old 10-16-2006, 02:13 AM

Hat Rak said:

Quote:
JBenson, I've looked online for over a half an hour to find a legitimate source to back your statement and could not.
I'm only in my 2nd week of Truck School, so I will accept your view. Here is where I found the information. I have a book called Driver's ABC's, Surviving the First Year Guidebook

There is a chapter on Courtesies That Professional Drivers Extend Toward One Another which mentions Flashing Headlights off and Back On After Passing:

Quote:
When a truck is passing another truck, quite often the truck being passed will flash the headlights off and back on to tell the passing truck that he/she has cleared him, and can bring his/her truck back into the right lane. Some drivers flash their high beams instead and this serves the same purpose, but many drivers do not like this because it can be blinding. Some trucks, though, have headlights that cannot be turned off so there is really no other way. This courtesy is not really done because the driver doing the passing does not know when he has cleared the other truck -- is done as a courtesy -- as a way to a knowledge and another driver. Some drivers prefer to say something on the CB radio instead, such as, "Okay driver, you got me." Many states say this practice is illegal and that any gesturing to another driver could hold you liable if an accident results.

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/