User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How would you "trick your truck"?

I?m a college student doing a senior mechanical engineering project on improving long-haul truck cabs for elderly drivers (55+). My group is looking for feedback on the following 3 areas:

1. Accessing/layout of storage trays, cabinets, etc.
2. Opening/closing the front hood
3. Entering/exiting the cab

We would appreciate any insight about your experience or opinions about these tasks. Do you think they can be improved? What do you like or dislike about them? Which of these tasks do you think would be most difficult for older drivers?

Post your response to this thread, or you can email us at [email protected]
Please include your first name, age, and the model of your truck. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2006, 09:03 PM

how funny, to find out I'm only 3 yrs away from being 'elderly'. WOW Let me get my cane and walker out and see if I can help.
An elevator would be nice, but if not possible, they could always put another step on, instead of the 2, like on my truck, both on the battery box and cover, somehow add a 3rd one.
My hood is ex, so I have air assist, but it's still heavy to pull open. Improve the air assist or make them somehow electric or totally on a switch.
Cabinets and storage are each drivers' personal choice. Some add cabinets at the foot of the sleeper for a tv shelf or whatever. In my truck the area under the sleeper accessable from inside the cab is almost totally useless, hard to get to and dark. More lights inside dark places would help.
That's all I can think of for now....
Old 09-15-2006, 10:10 PM

I think this could go for all drivers, young or old. Better seating should be standard and not a option. Also another thing what about put the switches more used a little closer to the driver. I do think that the "smart wheel" that KW and Volvo have are one of the best things since sliced bread for the trucking industry. I know I have more ideas but I can not think of them right now.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:18 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: How would you "trick your truck"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc412
I?m a college student doing a senior mechanical engineering project on improving long-haul truck cabs for elderly drivers (55+). My group is looking for feedback on the following 3 areas:

We would appreciate any insight about your experience or opinions about these tasks. Do you think they can be improved? What do you like or dislike about them? Which of these tasks do you think would be most difficult for older drivers?

Post your response to this thread, or you can email us at [email protected]
Please include your first name, age, and the model of your truck. Thanks!
Well, it seems I have a few years of experience actually being an "ELDERLY DRIVER". So, from my prospective, let's see what I can come up with.

So, the cab and sleeper constitute the driver's office. A fold-out desk, ink-well, desk-light... The cabinet doors on the cubbie-holes are fine just as they are... The skimpy magnets used to hold them shut let go on a bumpy hiway and the banging helps to keep the driver awake.....

Well, you know... It's a lot of work to get out of the truck in the rain and pull on the front to open it. How about double-acting air cylinders and a button on the dash? Something like the brake buttons. Push it in, and the hood is held closed by air pressure. Pull the knob and the hood opens for your convenience. While you're at it, a couple of more air-cylinders so that you can bring the engine out from the frame and have a good look at it without having to bend over the steer tires...... My aching back...

I disagree with that "THIRD STEP" idea. Let's eliminate the top step. Just put a couple of air-cylinders on the bottom one. Open the door and step on the bottom one. Reach inside, throw a switch, and stand on it while it raises you up to the level of the floor of the cab. And, for an exit, the opposite. Stand on it, throw the switch the opposite way and the step lowers you to the ground. I mean, after all, all these fancy motor homes have something like that. Of course, you'd have to have a FLOW-CONTROL on it.... Or... "I'M READY TO COME UP, SCOTTY. RELEASE MY CATAPULT" AND GET THAT $@&$$ MOTORHOME OUT OF MY PARKING SPACE!!!!!

Old 09-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)