User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Rolling down the parking lot??????

Well, I'm parked at a Flying Hook in GA. Of course, I'm online, reading and writing. A blue Kenworth starts backing into the space in front of me. Now, picture this... He sets himself up well. On HIS right, there is a truck in a space. On HIS left are 4 empty spaces ( two for the drivers without legs). Starts backing and looks good so far. As he gets his tandems past the parked truck, he cranks the wheel and cuts it short. As the nose of his truck goes past me, I see his trailer AIMED at the middle of the other trailer. He pulls forward and I look back down again. Nearly 10 minutes later, I look up, and the nose of his truck is coming toward the nose of my truck AGAIN. He started at 11:18 AM, and now, it's 11:33 AM. As I'm watching, I see his nose come toward mine 4 more times. and he did finally get it in without touching the one on his right. But, he's had the tractor and trailer in every conceivable angle imaginable. I'm surprised he didn't turn the rig a full 360.

I've had my "off days" when I just could not seem to hit the hole, but I've never spent that much time trying to get into a space with only a truck on one side. I'm sitting here in t-shirt and shorts, but if I had been dressed, I would have been out there telling him how to turn his wheel to get into the space without touching anything alongside him. My guess is that he has not been driving long.

He's in the space, and the door opens. Out steps a big, ten-gallon, texas hat, leather vest, chain-drive wallet, cowboy boots, and a belt buckle as big as an old "Roman shield". If I HAD stepped out there to help the guy, I may have been told to mind my own business (It's happened before).

So, for all the new drivers, and prospective drivers out there, it's not the clothes that make you a driver. The name of the game is ability. That comes with practice. With the clothes this guy is wearing, I would not expect that he started driving yesterday, but may be the result of "TEAM-TRAINING". My guess is that he was not properly trained to back in,or went into training "KNOWING ALL ABOUT IT", and has not been told that you don't get any extra money for "ROLLING DOWN THE PARKING LOT".

He now has another truck on the other side of him, and I want to see how he pulls out... If he comes close to taking parts of the other trucks along with him. I also do not want to keep him supplied with clutches.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Board Icon

With all that going on and with Empty spaces around I would have gotten as far away from that guy as possible. :P
Old 09-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

We have all seen these guys before, I sometimes cringe watching them try to back a trailer. Sometimes we all have off days, but I seem to see more and more of these TV stereotype truckdrivers around.

The best backer I have seen was a spot I passed up in the middle of the night, I did not want to try to squeeze into a spot with real limited space on each side. I parked on the other side. This guy pulls in sets up for a 90 deg jacknife, guy is driven a sweeeeeeeet Western Star with a huge sleeper, I watch and am amazed straight in no pull ups and perfect. Guy jumps out looks like a 70's hippie, long hair tye dyed shirt, scraggly beard. But the guy was clean.

You cant always judge a person by the clothes he wears. Judge that person by his actions.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:01 PM

I can't resist this one,the best cowboy costume I ever saw was at the Iowa 80 about 8 years ago, at the top was a hat that was as wide as his shoulders next,was the all important shirt with the arrows on the shoulders followed by the trash can lid on the belt holding up his tough skins with the all important chain drive wallet jingling against the key chain that makes him look like the high school janitor,no way does a driver have a need for 250 keys.To finish out the all year long Halloween get up is the ever popular,extremely uncomfortable chromed tip chain link fence climbers finished off with a set of believe it or not SPURS.This guy really looked like he was fresh off the big cattle drive,the problem was there was no way he could have got himself onto the horse.Even if he had shed the 20 pound hat,75 pounds of keys along with the 15 pound belt buckle this guy was well over 500 pounds.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:15 PM

EWWWWWWWWWW That's just plain scarey.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Senior Board Member

I guess I am "lazy". I always look for the double (min) holes and when I back in I aim for the one on the left instead of trying to back into a spot with a truck on the immediate right. Of course the assumes that I can not find a pull through.

Would rather pull through in the back of the lot then spend 2 hours trying to back into a spot in the front. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Old 09-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Board Icon

WindWalker: :lol: Do you have to PAY your company for this kind of entertainment? :lol:

I've seen these guys in EVERY T/S I've ever been in! Once, I had an entire conversation with my Dad, while watching a guy pull up no less than 10 times for an easy straight back parking spot! :roll:

Twice, in one day, at a shipper, I tried to help a driver put it in the hole. He finally gave up and asked me to do it! What could I do? I was getting tired and hungry! I slapped it IN there for him, then was ASTOUNDED when he told me he was turned out "solo" after only a few weeks! And THAT was two YEARS ago! :shock:

So... I second what you said: "So, for all the new drivers, and prospective drivers out there, it's not the clothes that make you a driver. The name of the game is ability."

If you can't DRIVE and PARK the thing.... it doesn't matter WHAT you wear! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:16 PM

We have probably all been there...Right after I started driving, I got to a shipper and the hole they told me to get into was tight...after trying for 15-20 minutes, a driver came over to help...he was telling me when to turn...of course I was nervous but now with others watching me...he asked if I wanted him to get my truck in there...I told him he wouldnt always be there to help me and If I couldnt back it in, I have no business driving...I did eventually get it though...

Rick
Old 09-25-2006, 12:05 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_D
We have probably all been there...Right after I started driving, I got to a shipper and the hole they told me to get into was tight...after trying for 15-20 minutes, a driver came over to help...he was telling me when to turn...of course I was nervous but now with others watching me...he asked if I wanted him to get my truck in there...I told him he wouldnt always be there to help me and If I couldnt back it in, I have no business driving...I did eventually get it though...

Rick
Sgt D: Sorry, but no... we haven't ALL been there. On my second day of backing in the CDL mill I went to, I was told to put it between two trailers that were CLOSE together. I found this EASIER than an open dock.

Once I hit the road, I have NEVER needed anyone to do it for me. I'm not tooting my horn. I'm just saying that this is NOT normal! Backing a truck is not necessarily EASY... but it is part of what you are trained to do.

Point is.... if it doesn't come easy, then you have to work at it. If you STILL don't "get it" you are probably going to HIT someone someday SOON, and your career may be OVER!

It is simple geometry! And backing a truck is MORE a part of trucking than "holding the steeringwheel" going down the highway.

Not everyone can do it. I don't mean to be harsh.... but it is a major part of trucking. If you aren't comfortable with it by the time you get out of school, or at LEAST by the time you get out of "training," You have a REAL problem.

Oh.... you can probably STILL hold a job. Many do! But.... you should NEVER think that it's "OKAY" to be slow to learn this. That would be the same as a soldier who can "strip" a rifle but can't hit his target!

By taking the responsibility like you did, and realizing that this is something YOU must do alone, you gain my respect. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just want you, and all newbies, to understand that THIS is probably the most important thing you MUST learn!

There are NO shortcuts. And often, there are no "second chances." Companies are NOT understanding (usually) of minor fender benders in a truckstop parking lot, or at a receiver. They cost MONEY! And YOU will be the one to "go."

Best of luck! Keep working on it!

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Started 21 years ago, I can't ever remember backing into a reciever's dock. I think, I would be as good as Hobo tho, because I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :lol: (I hope you southerner's get that comercial) :lol: I can back up a "wiggle wagon" Gives you grey hair tho!