User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 02:54 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

If I get 9 mpg Im happy. Gonna look for a chip for it and maybe some other ways of getting better gas mileage. Its paid for and I know I wont get anything for it in trade and its too good to just sit around...
Old 09-07-2006, 12:29 PM

gas is $2.32 here in Toledo Ohio while diesel is still #2.97 :evil:
Old 09-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Regular gas in Traverse City is at $2.69 per gallon. I don't know what it cost up by yoopr...but we are always 15-20 cents higher than mid-to down State gas prices. Down by the border to Indiana or Ohio, the fuel is even much cheaper...because those States are typically the cheapest fuel around these parts.

Our fuel also rises out of sight...just because we are a tourist resort community. We get screwed big time from Memorial Day until Labor Day, and especially deep and hard through the fourth of July or our National Cherry Festival. You go just 100 miles south of us and the prices drop 20 cents a gallon.

We make less wages than most any where else in the State...so the ongoing joke is..."the view of the Bay (Lake Michigan) is part of our pay."
Old 09-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Board Icon

$2.48 last nite
Old 09-08-2006, 03:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR OTR
Oil shale and Kerogen (which is what we need to extract) are two different things. We have a lot of oil shale in the US but with extremely low levels of Kerogen. The petroleum company BP calculates that worldwide there is about 1200 billion barrels of recoverable petroleum and only 620 billion barrels of recoverable Kerogen (sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale and the BP Statistical Review of World Energy, 2006).

Note that "recoverable" is a misnomer; getting the first half (roughly) of any deposit out of the ground is straightforward. After that point the cost/benefit ratio goes up dramatically.

The lift cost (the cost of removing the oil or shale from the ground) is also dramatically different. Saudi Arabia has a lift cost of approximately $1.50 per barrel. Iraq is actually a bit less at around $1.00 per barrel. Every other country is higher. The process of removing Kerogen requires roughly 1 barrel of energy for each 3 barrels recovered. Plus there are other factors (extremely large water requirements; processing the shale to extract the Kerogen; refining it into useful components; considerable environmental problems, etc.). Since there hasn't been a successful commercial demonstration of this process in the US it isn't possible to know how costly the process will be or at what rate this can be extracted from the ground.
I hate to tell you this but why don't you google my company. And tell me I am wrong I work in the industry The proven reserves are in the trillions of barrels. It takes more energy to extract it yes but we have enough to kiss off the middle east. for the next 200 years.

Illegitimis nil carborundum

Inter arma silent leges

Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es
Old 09-08-2006, 03:52 AM
Senior Board Member

we don`t have trillions of barrels, billions yes but not trillions, its estimated theres only 1.1 billion recoverable barrels left in jonah field.

and I can be a name dropper too

halliburton - fracking crew

greywolf - roughneck

nabors - motorman
Old 09-08-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman2
I hate to tell you this but why don't you google my company. And tell me I am wrong I work in the industry The proven reserves are in the trillions of barrels. It takes more energy to extract it yes but we have enough to kiss off the middle east. for the next 200 years.
I'm sure your company knows more than the US government and British Petroleum... BP has pretty good knowledge of the petroleum industry and according to them there are about 600 billion barrels worldwide of recoverable Kerogen in oil shale. This is about 50-60 percent as much as the "traditional" proven oil reserves, not multiples of it.

The US consumes approximately 21 million barrels per day, or roughly 7.5 billion per year. The rest of the world consumes approximately 3x as much, for a total of approximately 30 billion barrels per year. Assuming demand were to never increase, this would mean roughly 20 years supply of Kerogen -- and only about half of that is easily accessable. Given the very likely rise in demand of at least 1 billion bpd every two years, 20 years from now worldwide consumption will likely be somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 billion bpd. Proven oil reserves stand at about 1 trillion barrels, so roughly 25 year's supply at that rate.

So, again, this problem cannot be outdrilled or outmined. As time wears on the oil deposits we currently have drilled become exhausted and the ones that replace them tend to be smaller and harder to get at. Oil output in the US has been falling since the 1970s and will never reach those levels again. Ergo, a larger percentage of our oil will have to be imported since our economy requires more oil each year.

Even if we were to do in the midwest with our oil shale what the Canadians are doing in Alberta (gigantic open pit mining, immense ecological damage, etc.) our thirst for oil will overwhelm production in a matter of years. By way of comparison, the Canadians are projected to eventually produce 3 million barrels per day in Alberta, which is roughly 5.5 years growth in our oil consumption.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:01 PM

here in our local paper..... "Devon's Gulf oil find may be firm's largest"

"August 31, Devon Energy discovered what it's officials believe to be the company's largest oil find to date in the Gulf of Mexico. If successful, the discovery could also cause the price of oil to drop, and America's dependency on foreign fuel sources to be alleviated. With Kaskida, the new oil discovery location, Devon encountered a successful extended production test on ............... The results fully met the company's expectations."

So is this the same one or has everyone found one at the same time?

Gas--$2.48 Diesel--$2.60 today here, but anywhere else 20 miles and farther is a good 20 to 30 cents less.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:29 AM
Board Icon

I heard gas may get down to about 2 bucks a gallon.....just in time for November Elections. Yea!!!
But many of us may not survive the Campaigning. Booo!!! :evil:
Old 09-17-2006, 09:00 AM
Board Icon

I fueled up in IN for 2.499 a gallon. Lowest I've seen it in quite a while.