User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 06:00 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

My first day on my trainers truck with Werner I blew right past the Colorado Utah port of entry on I-70 westbound ...I was behind a swift driver for miles who was doing 55 ,and when I got a chance to pass I did ,but missed the scale sign ,and couldn't get back over in time...So I just kept rolling ,and watching behind me for the man ...never came ...never missed a scale again.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Smile

Blew a mobile scale some where up in Vermont or Maine....looked across just in time to see

the office tossing his hands skyward in apparent frustration.....they did not come after me.

I never saw the flashing sign....oh well
Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Board Regular

Passed too many open scales to count anymore. Some accidentally, some not. The best one was the EB Manchester scale at night. It was darker back in the last century; not so many overhead lights like today.
I was legal, just left the house with a load. Just didn't feel like stopping and just wondering if I could actually get away with what I was about to do. So as I approached, the situation looked do-able. Truck was on the scale blocking officer's view of the highway. I cut out all my lights and just proceeded in the dark past the coop. That was fun! Didn't have to stop on top of Monteagle like you do nowadays either. Sometimes I still blow past that mandatory pull -off. And the one in WV on 68.

Nowadays with all the pre-pass trucks it's so easy if traffic is heavy to just get in the middle of a bunch of pre-passers and fly right on by.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Rookie

Ive never blew by one fully open, Ive went by as the sign changed. But one time my boss had me leave a 2 am because they close sometimes then. with a legal dim but over weight load without a permit and was an area that if they see a lowboy on the back roads they know there dodging and he said "if there open just drive by cause if you go in your caught anyway. They were closed though
Old 01-12-2009, 02:24 AM

the first time my wife ever went with me we had a load going from Laredo, Tx to Sacramento Ca. We got to El Paso the first night and slept in the next day a bit since we were in no real hurry to get there. Got up and started going again, when we hit the Az line I saw the sign for the scales and no sign saying if they were open or not. I looked up ahead on the long ramp and didnt see any trucks so I just kept hammering on it and flew right by. By the time i started seeing the trucks backed up at the ramp there was no use and trying to stop. My wife looked at me and said "aren't we supposed to be over there?" I just said yeah but theres no use in stopping now and hammered on it clear to Phoenix. I kept looking to get pulled over but no one ever came. My butt still puckered a little bit when we crossed another checkpoint when we left or came back in all that month but no one ever said a word to me.

I still get hassled about blowing that scale to this day and it's been quite a few years since that happened.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:30 AM

Twice, I was really surprised to see just how fast the scalemaster was in pursuit of a truck "blowing by" the scales, once in Fla and once in NE{east of the J}. Wasn't me either time.
In Colorado I missed the ramp, had to back up and get in line. I scaled out fine, they checked all the "documents" and set me free.
Once, running with a known "hot head", we took a "short cut" around the IA scales. EXCEPT I GOT STOPPED in town. The guy took my documents and I followed him back to the scales. Scaled out good and was let go. Its a lot easier to run legal, than think you will out smart them.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:08 AM
Board Regular

I have driven past a few open scales, nothing exciting ever happened. Did get caught going around a scale one time. It was the last overweight load I ever took. Knew it was way overweight the second I hooked up to it and tried to move it. It was a local move and to make a long story short; tried to go around the scale, got caught, had to go back, was about 5000 over on bridge and still not sure how that works out, fine was around $1500, did not have to pay overweight fine but did have to pay a fine for bypassing scale, by my own C.Y.A policy consignee ended up paying fine and I left the trailer at the weigh station and they came and off-loaded the 40 foot trailer.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Board Regular

I wrote the following tale some time ago about blowing pass a scale. Enjoy!

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/a...pi-scales.html
Old 01-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDaddy View Post
Passed too many open scales to count anymore. Some accidentally, some not. The best one was the EB Manchester scale at night. It was darker back in the last century; not so many overhead lights like today.
I was legal, just left the house with a load. Just didn't feel like stopping and just wondering if I could actually get away with what I was about to do. So as I approached, the situation looked do-able. Truck was on the scale blocking officer's view of the highway. I cut out all my lights and just proceeded in the dark past the coop. That was fun! Didn't have to stop on top of Monteagle like you do nowadays either. Sometimes I still blow past that mandatory pull -off. And the one in WV on 68.

Nowadays with all the pre-pass trucks it's so easy if traffic is heavy to just get in the middle of a bunch of pre-passers and fly right on by.
a fellow driver passed that brake check station and it cost him 500 bucks
Old 02-09-2009, 04:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Just a couple weeks ago I was at a scale north west of Edmonton Alberta.

The truck in front of me rolled across, and I noticed his mudflaps were hanging nice and low. That's strange.

He gets the "come inside" light and pulls into the lot on the left. I knew he got it because just before I went on the scale it switched from that light to the "next axle" light.

Anyways I do my thing scale all three axles just about to merge on the highway when all of a sudden that son of a ***** cuts in front of me booking it as fast as he can.

Get going down the highway about half a mile I notice his mudflaps are sparking on the ground, so I say "Ya know, the scale called you in for a reason". No response. 10 seconds later "Oh boy he's running out of the scale house!" LOL.

So he tries to pull a fast one, slows down and lets me pass him thinking he's gonna fool the trooper. No such luck. Pulled over pretty quick!