User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

When I used to lump trucks at Mother's cookies in Louisville, Ky, they would give the driver cookies if they got loaded late for any reason. Many of the drivers didn't need/want that many cookies.

Several days my entire truck was full of cookies. Biggest haul for me in one day was almost 15 boxes
Old 02-21-2011, 04:31 PM

2 days before Christmas I took a load of mattresses from Corsicana to Seabrook, TX. After I finished unloading, the mattress store manager gave me $10.00! May not sound like much, but it was the day before Payday and I was out of food and out of money, so that bought me a decent meal when I shut down for the night.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:41 AM
Board Regular

When I went in, one receiver's office manager thought I was a salesperson--I had to assure him that I was, indeed, a truck driver! heehee
Anyway, it must've cracked him up because when I went to get my paperwork, he'd left me "samples" of what I'd be hauling--2 BIG TUBS of my favorite peanut butter!!
My mouth was stuck together that whole darned trip!
Some of these posts are incredible---it just goes to show that, even though it doesn't always seem like it, there really ARE some decent folks left in this world!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Like BanditsCousin missing HHG, I miss the finer points of enclosed auto transport.
One time we picked up a Hummer H2, 2 quads, a motorcycle, an ultra-light airplane and a $20k m
assage chair for a guy in Vermont and after we delivered his stuff to his cliff-side La Jolla home, not only did he tip us $600, but offered to let us use his shower and hang out in the Jacuzzi that overlooked the ocean while he ran out on business.
We delivered a custom Mercedes S550 to then Orioles pitcher Daniel Cabrera out in front of Camden Yards. He was like a little (well, as little as a 6’ 9” guy can be) kid trying to get a peek of his car as we moved the four Lotuses that were blocking it in. As soon as we got his car out, he tipped us $180 and hopped in it and took off. The team concierge gave us his cell number and told us to call anytime we were in town and wanted great seats to a game.

We delivered a $1.6 million 1997 McLaren F1 to a guy in Oregon who had me drive the car behind him over twelve miles to his house... at over 100+ mph down a curvy Wilsonville, OR road. I didn’t get a cash tip on that one, but getting a chance to drive the hell out of one of the 100 of these cars made was truly priceless. To top the deal off, the guy gave me a ride back to our truck in an Enzo, one of the thirty or more Ferraris he had on his property.

With enclosed auto transport, just about every day was an adventure. Unfortunately, with a $2,500 insurance deductible on the cars you haul, sometimes the adventure can get expensive. One time we picked up “the world’s fastest Lamborghini Diablo”… one previously owned by Jose Canseco… and got accused of not only chipping the front spoiler (even though the inspection report signed by the shipper clearly showed the chips), but we also got blamed for the clutch going out on the car. Days like that are why I’m now pulling a reefer unit.