User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Weirdest thing you ever found in a tire?

This is mine, hands down, by far.

It seems to be part of an automotive brake pad, with no friction material attached. It's about 5" long ear to ear, and 3/8" to 1/4" thick. The silvery, slightly chewed bit was sticking pretty far out of the tire, and I had been driving on it for a long time by the look of it (so THAT'S where the odd feeling that I had a wheel out of balance was coming from.)

Half the tread lug was ripped off, with this replacing the missing half lug. I could peel back the "flap" of the remaining portion of the lug to expose the first hole far enough to see that it went on for a little way inside the tire. I tried everything I could think of to get this out when I saw it, and other than busted knuckles and a broken screwdriver, I didn't have any luck. I had a feeling it wasn't going to puncture the tire, which was still holding a perfect 105 pounds, so I drove it another 30 miles home to let the truck's owner have a whack at it.

After he got some busted knuckles and a broken screwdriver of his own, he cut away enough tread to get a firm hold on the hole, and put a big hook through it, which he attached to his pickup, and proceded to extract this behemoth thing from the tire.

Amazingly, it ran all week, and seems only a little worse for wear. I'd rather replace the tire at this point with its missing lug, but it's not my truck, and I'll try to keep running the tire until it reaches the end of its life in a month or two. (If it doesn't blow. Who knows. It's the rear outside drive, so hopefully it will only take a mudflap with it if it does.)

I've seen a lot of stuff in tires, and I thought the screwdriver that wound up going through my tire handle first would win the prize, but we have a new champion. Not only is this the biggest piece of metal I've ever picked up with a tire, but it miraculously avoided ripping a huge gash, and causing a catastrophic deflation. This could easily have been a pile of gator bits.

I think I picked this up when I took the shoulder really hard in a panic brake check. I wouldn't have ass-ended the truck in front of me, but I would rather see I was going to miss him by 3' from the shoulder, instead of where it would have hurt a lot more if I hadn't pulled it off.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:24 AM
Senior Board Member

In a farm tractor tire I had a gate hinge stuck about 10" into a back tire.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Board Regular

1 question....wheres the car this is from? I've only found nails and bolts in my tires.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Rookie

My third week of driving school bus I ran the duals in to the edge of a construction dig making a turn and suddenly the bus started going BoomBooMBOOM. I stopped and looked, I had wedged a rock the size of a loaf of bread between the tires.

I'm not sure what my brain was doing, but I grabbed the broom and tried to pry it out. Yeah, right. A 28,000 gvw bus wedges a rock between the tires and I try using a stick a 1/2" wide to pry it out... SNAP. They ended up having to pull the outside tire off to remove it.

The wierdest thing I ever found IN a tire was a bicycle pedal with the shank wedged between the tread. Kids in south minneapolis used to throw bikes under the wheels of trucks and buses to try to con the drivers in to giving them money or they'd report it as hit and run. The cops in our area just said to ignore them.

-Lego
Old 07-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Board Regular

several years ago I had a shimmy in the Jeep I used to drive, due to tire balancing. One of the tires wouldn't spin balance, and they took the tire off the rim, and found my old valve stems in it. Mind you, this is the same shop that put the tires on my Jeep, just a few months earlier, and they found it hard to believe anyone would do this.....figures. Like I took the tire of the rim and stuck them in there :roll:
Old 07-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Board Icon

Texas is known for it's fine mesquite trees. :P I dont know how many mesquite thorns I've gotten from driving on pasture ground.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 07-07-2007, 02:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom433a
1 question....wheres the car this is from? I've only found nails and bolts in my tires.
The truck in my little avatar picture. It was in the rear outside drive on the passenger side. I've put 10,000 miles on that tire so far, and it's still OK, believe it or not.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine
One of the tires wouldn't spin balance, and they took the tire off the rim, and found my old valve stems in it. Mind you, this is the same shop that put the tires on my Jeep, just a few months earlier, and they found it hard to believe anyone would do this.....figures. Like I took the tire of the rim and stuck them in there :roll:
You know darn well thats what you did and you can't denie it

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 08-19-2007, 03:26 AM
Rookie

In worked for General Tire a long time ago, We had a customer come in with a very out balanced tire. We found a spark plug insulator and most of the steel intact and most of the threads worn off, but not leaking any air. :shock:
Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Rookie

Just a couple of weeks ago when we parked to go home, hubby noticed a trailer tire flat....we go back to check and lo and behold, there was a deer bone imbedded through our tire, cut two belts.................needed to replace the pratically brand new tire :x :x :x