User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default My Exclusive Driver Training!

Well I was happy as heck. I had finally made it to trucking school. I was going to drive just like my good ole grand pa. I had even did a little research online before I just jumped right into it. So I breezed through the DOT Exam, The WorkWell Test, Drug Screen, The Class Room Courses, And the State Permit Testing.

Finally I was on the range doing backing maneuvers for the next week. I practiced everyday really hard because I wasnt just a natural at this. So finally came the day we had been waiting for. To get out of the range and on the road. To get the hell out of the sun and pouring rain and into the truck and driving foward for a change.

Well, the first manuver that I was to test on was the sight side parallel. I figured w/ this one I could warm up to the harder stuff. You know, like fall into my zone.

All the other guys who went before me aced the sight side. So finally my turn came. So feeling like I was going to vomit I followed instructions and got in the truck. My instructor told me to pull "Her" out the parallel, line "Her" up and do my thing. So I took a deep breath checked my mirrors and put it in 2nd gear.

Can someone please explain to me how the heck I had made it this dang far and never once heard of the Low/Hi Button. Yep, I had made it all through range without knowing what the heck a gear switch or aka button was. So of course the guy to test before me was "Nervous as hell and accidentally hit it".

Well of course you geussed it. I wasnt in 2nd gear at all. And, want to know somethingelse crazy as heck. I happen to be testing in the one dang trucks on the range that had a good transmission.

Well any who. I proceeded to pull off SLOWLY to line up. I shoot out of that parallel spot like a bat outta hell. Your talking like "Non-Governed, In The Hammer Lane, No Smokie In Sight, Trying To Get Home After This Next Drop, SHOOT OUTTA THERE!"

I'm like screaming at the top of my lungs. Yeah Imma truck driver but this scream wasnt manly at all. Heck, I gotta keep it real. It was one them girlie ones, dude. So to my surprise when I did stop the truck, and I can't remember how I did. The truck was lined up perfect, except for the fact that I was almost 15 feet from going down a grass hill, through a fence and into the neighboring businesses parking lot.

Well, I just said "What the F@#$ is wrong w/ this truck?", "Ok, man you must have this in the wrong gear", "Nope, not in the wrong gear", "Well, you know these range trucks, maybe your accelerator just got stuck.", "Ok, calm down and just make sure you got it in reverse this time" [Thats me talking to myself, breathing like I ran a marathon, and while Im checking my gears, and gas pedal to see if its stuck to the floor.] LOL

Ok, so I calm myself down and triple check to make sure its in reverse this time. Yep, its in reverse alright. "HI REVERSE". Now how did I come this far and not be told that this thing could go in reverse FAST AS H$%^?

Well just recap the story in reverse, But this time when I come to a stop. I stick my head out the window and yell "What The H^$& is going on with this thing" LOL

Well needless to say I had to go to another school to finish up when it was all said and done. Can't say what school I did this at but lets just say. I Sure Wish I Finished Training.

That's My Story and Im stuck w/ it. ops:
Old 04-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: My Exclusive Driver Training!

[/quote]I Sure Wish I Finished Training.

Hmmmm, I wonder what school that was :lol:
Old 04-13-2007, 02:48 AM
Rookie

If I told you what company I was with I would have to off ya. Its top secret info. lmao :lol:
Old 04-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Rookie

One day at the range we were doing the 45 degree back next to a trailer. I get in and let the clutch out and the truck doesn't want to move. I check the brakes and yes, they are both pushed in. I set the tractor brake and hop out to check the air lines. Both hooked up. Get back in, put it in second, and let the clutch out. It still lugs. Then I realize I'm not in second, I'm in seventh! Ha! The guy before me did it on purpose, and they all laughed when I got out to check the air lines.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:43 AM
Rookie

I laughed my butt off at this story. Thanks for posting it. When I took my road test I was so nervous I forgot about the up/down switch. Luckily they gave me a truck with a magic transmission because I started off in sixth gear and it was actually somewhat smooth. I wanted to say something out loud like "How the hell did I do that in sixth gear" but I decided the DMV inspector would frown on it.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Board Regular

LMAO...shot out of there like a lightening bolt huh? God I would have loved to seen that. I was an instructor while in the military at Ft. Dix in the trans school and one class we had there was this little skinny kid. We had just gotten new trucks (civilian trucks made up for the military) and he did the same thing......do you know how hard it is to keep a cool head when you swear this kid is going to go screaming off into the woods while your sitting there trying to get him to stop? I never rode with that kid again.