User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

This story ended up in the November edition. I came across this thread and happened to have a copy of Over the Road setting right here next to me. So I looked through it and there it is!!! The title is "How's that chili smell, Mr.Nosey?" Here's a link http://www.otrprotrucker.com/Archive.../currentmw.cfm The webpage doesn't have the right pics to go along with the story. It has pics from the previous months story.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:56 PM

royboy, not sure if your still looking for stories but here is mine. Also not sure you will find this amusing but I did after it happened. A little long but it can be edited.

I just got loaded with sugar at US sugar in buffalo which is behind a produce shipper. I pull out of the dock, swing around to the side of the building and update my book. I am sitting there drawing my lines when a guy on a bike rides up and drops it right in front of my tractor. He puts his arms up almost like he wanted to start a fight.

Walks up to my open window and starts making small talk. Being born and raised in NY, I immediately get suspicious of this character. He steps on my porch and asks me what I am hauling. I tell him I am not allowed by law to tell you. He responds with B.S. and says he once loaded trucks and never heard of that law before. I tell him since 9/11 new regs have come out regarding the disclosure of what one is hauling.

He again says B.S. and moves on to another subject. Then he asks if I had any money I can give him so he can eat. Gives me this whole sob story about loosing his job, his house and being in the middle of a messy divorce. I tell him I have no money(which was mostly true, I only had $5 left for the week and it was only Wednesday). I tell him, no but I have some bread and cheese in the cooler that I will let him have.

He moans and groans and and I say take it or leave it, so he takes it. After he made a cheese sandwich he then asks for something to drink. So I give him some water and he turns and asks for soda. I tell him this is all I got, which was true.

At this point I am finishing up my book when he asks me if I have any change to give him. At this point I am starting to get annoyed and tell him the only thing I have is a little over a dollar in pennies and nickles that he can have. He starts to get agitated that I don't have any more money and asks is that all you got? I tell him yes and to take it or leave it, I am pulling out of hear so let me know. He takes it.

Then after taking it, he jumps back onto my porch, looks around my truck and asks if he can have a shirt and pair of pants. Now, very agitated and telling him I need to leave I tell him I only have 3 shirts and 2 pair of pants for 2 weeks on the road and that I am not giving him anything. Frustrated, he then asks me for a pair of socks. I again say no, put the truck in reverse to get around his bike and release my brakes. Not getting the hint and still standing on my porch I tell him to get off or he is going for a ride. After finally jumping off he quickly turns back and asks me one last question. If I at least have a pair or two of underwear I can give him.

Laughing hysterically I shut my window in disbelief, and drive away. I noticed he got back on to his bike and rides over to the produce dock and went inside. I do need to add that he did not look very grungy. His hair was combed, his clothes were clean and he did not smell. Like I said, I was born in NY and I know what a homeless person looks like.

I am a "moon bat" and proud of it.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:36 AM
Rookie

Hey Jmilici!

A very belated "thanks!" I hadn't checked the board for awhile (virus, long computer-nightmare story, yuk) but I just came across your post from February. I think we can use it, and I appreciate your contribution. It should appear in the mid-May edition of Over the Road, I believe.

To coin a phrase (oh please forgive me): Keep on Truckin'!
Old 04-19-2007, 01:43 AM
Rookie

...and by the way, all I can say is WHAT in the hell was this guy doing? He didn't appear overly needy, but he's begging for a pair of underwear? HOly... Man, I really gotta sit down with you guys and hear some stuff. I've been drawing this feature for nearly a decade, and the stories never cease to amaze. There's all kinds in this here world...

RS
Old 04-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh

Here,s one for you Roy. A story from across the pond.

Mate of mine was a 360degree excavator driver for gas company over here. He,s working on a site and a young 4 wheeler driver comes over and says "Hey Joe, you got a funnel I can borrow?"
"Funnel?" says Joe. "Yeah I have one. Why the hell does a truck driver need a funnel though?"
Young driver looks all serious and retorts "For putting oil in the truck, thats why! I,m really particular and don,t like any spillages or mess".
A mixture of curiousity and being slightly impressed by over zealous professionalism-or what it appeared to be-made Joe sneak round and follow the Young driver to see just how careful he was when filling up with engine oil.

He only witnessed the plonker sticking the funnel end in the dipper and filling the oil through there?????
Some trucker eh? :lol: :wink:

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 05-11-2007, 11:24 AM

Were can I get a copy of OTR mag?

Old 05-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Rookie

Yeah, their web site isn't always right up-to-the-moment for some reason. But the mags print 'em accurately every time!
Old 05-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Rookie

Oh, and as for where to find the magazines, they're at most truck stops, nationwide... Smallish "Reader's Digest" size magazine, usually near a door or register. They're free, which is a plus, and of course they're filled with recruitment ads among other good stuff.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by royboy
and of course they're filled with recruitment ads among other good stuff.
I've found the recruitment ads, still looking for the other good stuff!
Old 05-27-2007, 01:19 AM

Yeah, I found one. And my story is in the current issue, volume 20, number 5. Kinda funny.