User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default FILTERS!!!!

i have freightliner century 2000 model, w/a detroit 60 series engine, anyone know where the water filter is located? also the (i believe he said) coolant/antifreeze filter? do detroit have either of these? thanks!!!
Old 11-23-2006, 01:55 AM

Mine is below the air conditioning compressor mounted on the same bracket. It is not really a filter it is a element that contains the chemicals needed to keep the PH and Nitrates correct. This is to keep mineral deposits from forming on the water side of the cylinder liner. If there are deposits on the liner and they fall off parts of the liner will go with it and eventually there will be pits all the way through the liner.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Senior Board Member

does they need to be replaced? if so how often???? i purchased truck w/ 360k on it and now it almost has 680k on it and never changed it? i get regular oil changes, change filters also, anything else that can be recomended that be changed on regular intervals??? Thanks 4 ur help in advance
Old 11-23-2006, 03:21 PM

marcel The purpose of the water "filter" is to maintain the proper level of nitrates in the cooling system. During each PM service, make sure you test your coolant to ensure this is maintained at the proper level. It's probably about time to change the filter, but you can also add "manually" by adding usually 8oz at a time.

It doesn't matter how you do it as long as the nitrates are kept up to snuff. It actually provides a barrier between the surface of the liner and the coolant. Under normal operation of the engine, everytime it fires, especially under heavy load, the "shock" will actually "throw" the coolant away from the surface of the cast iron liner. While we're talking about doing this at a microscopic level, the coolant returns to the surface with enough force to "eat" into the liner material. (cavatation) The nitrates provide a hard sacrificial surface to prevent this from occuring.

Don't overdo the nitrate level, as that may lead to decreased cooling capacity and "hot spots" within the block.

No 1 reason most engines are inframed at "low" miles...liners leaking due to poor cooling system maintenance.

Sitting on my bench is a liner from a old souped up Cummins I owned with a bunch of cavatation holes in it that was done in less than 200k as a expensive reminder to keep that nitrate level properly maintained. I learned the hard way!
Old 11-23-2006, 04:57 PM

If the truck was equiped with ELC ( extended life coolant ) that is good for 600K miles or 6 years, the truck probably doesn't have a water filter. My 01 KW doesn't that came with ELC. This type coolant has a one time additive at 300k miles or 3 years. I think the reason they don't put a filter on them is because the regular coolant additives are NOT compatible with this coolant. So to avoid a mixup, No filter.

This is a Red colored coolant. I've read were new ELC's will be good for even longer periods & miles. They probably put a sticker on the coolant tank saying what the factory filled it with.

Make sure you have a good radiator cap, or just replace it with the same pressure cap. It's often overlooked and can cause the truck to run hotter and loose coolant if it's not holding pressure.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Senior Board Member

ok BOBBY, i believe it is extended life coolant, and it is reddish/pink color, is there a such thing as a flush/fill coolant for the truck?? i know there is for car :lol: i had a little coolant leak in a line running along side the sleeper, i repaired and added coolant, does that make a difference in the life of the coolant since for about 3 months i was adding coolant(not very much maybe 3-4 cups) every other week?
Old 11-23-2006, 06:37 PM

If you added ELC coolant it wouldn't matter, or distilled water, or regular water if distilled isn't available, BUT I would just ad regular water in an emergency myself. It's cheap and important to keep the system in proper condition, IMO.

I'm sure there is a flush for the system, But if it clean ? I would just drain it and refill with the same, If it's original and your over the life of the coolant, which it sounds like you are.
You can also test it to see if it's up to snuff, with a test strip of paper that changes color depending on the condition of the coolant.

If it was me, I would just change it out so I knew where I was at.
They hold alot of coolant (10gal ? ) so for my money it's worth having it done so you don't have to deal with the old coolant.

I consider the cooling system on diesel trucks as important, if not more so, as keeping good oil in the engine.

And yes it looks kind of pink in color.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby
If you added ELC coolant it wouldn't matter, or distilled water, or regular water if distilled isn't available, BUT I would just ad regular water in an emergency myself. It's cheap and important to keep the system in proper condition, IMO.

I'm sure there is a flush for the system, But if it clean ? I would just drain it and refill with the same, If it's original and your over the life of the coolant, which it sounds like you are.
You can also test it to see if it's up to snuff, with a test strip of paper that changes color depending on the condition of the coolant.

If it was me, I would just change it out so I knew where I was at.
They hold alot of coolant (10gal ? ) so for my money it's worth having it done so you don't have to deal with the old coolant.

I consider the cooling system on diesel trucks as important, if not more so, as keeping good oil in the engine.

And yes it looks kind of pink in color.
Just to add, I'm not sure if the ELC coolant comes pre-mixed or not with water ?
So if you have it change by a shop, find out the system capacity and the right amount of distilled water you will need if it's not pre-mixed.
Then you can pick up the distilled water at a market or ? so the shop doesn't ad regular water like many will. The cost of the D water is so cheap but way better than tap water for the system.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Senior Board Member

yeah there was a time i was low on coolant and added regular water, the coolant i added was 50/50 no need to add water it was already diluted :lol:, can u buy those test strips at truckpro? im sure they are self explainatory to use right
Old 11-24-2006, 12:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Coolant filters use a coarse metal screen as a strainer-type filter, to get rid of leaves, bark, and small rodents ;0) They are similar to a fuel system "pre-screen".

All coolant filters ARE NOT charged with DCA/SCA. If it is charged, it should tell you that on the label (at least, any of the brands I deal with).

The extended life coolant (ELC) does not require additives, but many still have a coolant filter called a blank (no additives).

Blank (non-charged) filters do not need to be changed as a maintenance item.

Charged coolant filters should NOT be replaced unless a cooling system test indicates that the SCAs are low.