User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfg View Post
My sentiments exactly. A whole 15 minutes....

If they check his EOBR and he took a 9 hour and 54 minute break, his ***** is in trouble, while it may be petty to you guys, it IS the law and how the DOT wants it.

For those of you who think that EOBR's are so great which I am NOT one, this is what happens.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Did anyone notice " I was back in the yard sometime around 10:00AM" and " around 10:15AM on my count"
The OP sounds like they really keep a tight log... NOT!
Sounds like a case of poor me whaaa whaaa. This same post was on another board and he didn't get the answers he wanted so he came over here to whine.
Next time KNOW the EXACT times your logging.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewey1982 View Post
I guess it depends who you ask...I've always been told that is required, I used to train and could cite the authority for you but I've been away for so long.

From here:http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ng%20pre%20tri

Question 23: When the driver’s duty status changes, do §§395.8(c) or 395.8(h)(5) require a description of on-duty not driving activities (“fueling,” “pre-trip,” “loading,” “unloading,”, etc.) in the remarks section in addition to the name of the nearest city, town or village followed by the State abbreviation?

Guidance: No. Many motor carriers require drivers to identify work performed during a change of duty status. Part 395 neither requires nor prohibits this practice.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by RebelDarlin; 01-13-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: added link
Old 01-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
I wouldn't want you to work for me either. Really, you are complaining about 15 minutes??
Just wondering when drivers are allowed to complain then? 30 minutes? 45? 1hr? 4hrs? Being told you have to drive illegal is just as, if not more, illegal than actually driving illegal.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:41 AM
Senior Board Member

He was back In the yard "sometime" around 10:00, and ended his post trip "around" 10:15. Even he is not positive what his hours were. I don't know if he has an EOBR or not, but I do know that I would never drive for a company that told me when I was tired and when I should sleep.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 AM
Senior Board Member

So, it's ok if he's not tired whatsoever, but got into an accident with a drunk driver who caused the wreck then, right? After all, it's not his fault. They won't check his logs, fine the hell out of him, cost him his career and possibly jail time. At least now I understand.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfghjkl View Post
I didn't realize we are supposed to show 15 minutes for a post trip. Does anyone know if that is correct? I have had several dot inspections and had my logs checked by DOT many times and I've never logged 15 minutes for a post trip inspection.
The FMCSR's do NOT require showing 15 mins for either a pre or post trip inspection. They DO require every driver to DO one, but... the few things required to be checked could be done in less than... say 6 mins. So... If a driver ended his shift at exactly 0954... he could perform the post trip and log off duty at 1000 hours.

The regs require that each driver complete a post trip inspection report at the END of his shift (or workday) but does NOT specify a required time to perform such a check, nor a required "entry" in the HOS grid.

The regs require that a driver must be "satisfied" that the CMV is in proper working condition, but that can be accomplished by reviewing the post trip report from the previous driver... which might well he HIMSELF.

This is a very nebulous area of DOT regulation, but it seems that there is very little "time" requirements for the driver himself. The carrier is required to maintain periodic inspection reports, and ANY problems noted on the "post-trip" DVIR must be corrected and signed off on before he can drive it again.

If a driver is out (on the road) for a week or so... he must complete the DVIR at the end of each day, but again... no requirement for logging it, per se. He must continue to be "satisfied" that the regulated items are in good working order.

TEAM drivers are not actually required to DO a pre-trip if they are satisfied that the other driver checked (or was aware of) the condition of the CMV. But, each of them is required to fill out the DVIR on their log at the end of their shift/day.

It seems "plausible" at least, that the DM in the O.P.'s case actually DID know the regs... but, I don't claim that she did. If the truck was on the yard and "shut off" before 10 a.m., the driver COULD have legally logged a 10 hr break before coming on duty at 8 p.m.

This does NOT excuse her reaction. She could have simply explained the need to "correct" the logs (in a legal manner) so that compliance was not in question.

This also does NOT excuse the driver for not knowing the regs, AND... since he was told a day earlier what his "dock time" for the next evening's run was... his obligation to his company for "logging" his previous run (even though it was late) in a manner that would have satisfied the HOS, protected THEIR contract... and HIS job.

Something in the way "she" said.... "we're through playing games with you," suggests a history of nit-picking or arguing over HOS from this driver. But... it also could show a pattern of "coersion" by the dispatch staff trying to meet some stupid thing called a "dock time."

Obviously... this carrier is running things TOO thin, and trying to squeeze every minute out of the HOS regs!

I wouldn't work for THEM! And I wouldn't work for any of you that think a driver is a piece of meat! Maybe, he was incorrect in his understanding of the regs. Who TAUGHT logging to him? If you could fire a driver just for not understanding all the HOS logging regs.... well... many of YOU would be in the position HE is in! We all know how hard it is to find a job without a GOOD "reference."

The DM should have (unless she wanted to get rid of him,) explained how the logs COULD be made "legal" and he could make his dock time. I'm not saying that his arrival time should be "fudged," although... we all know that can be done. But, when we're only talking a few minutes, and it can BE done legally by returning his log and having him "correct" it.... then, what was the problem?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Senior Board Member

he posted this same thing word for word on the truckers report a few days ago and got slammed for 16 pages.... guess he didn't like it their so he comes over here to cry about......
Old 01-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood View Post
he posted this same thing word for word on the truckers report a few days ago and got slammed for 16 pages.... guess he didn't like it their so he comes over here to cry about......
If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:12 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm so glad I don't have a manager or dispatcher or safety officer.

Tags
fired, hours of service, mti, osha, whistleblower