User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hauling Containers ?

I have been back on the thread quite regularly as of late as I am seriously thinking of going back on the road. I came off the road about a year ago to work at a Mill on shift work very close to where I live. They are down-sizing so it looks like I will be back on the road soon.

I would like to get some real info and numbers from you folks that have been involved with hauling containers (O/O) on a dedicated lane or otherwise. Since I am retired once (Federal service 26 yrs) I am possibly looking at buying a Tractor (Hopefully cash) that has a good warranty left to last me through 7-10 yrs where at the age of 56-59 I can call it quits and enjoy boating and fishing on my 21 Center console (hopefully it will be a 23 by then on a more regular basis,,, )

I live about 23 miles north of Jacksonville and it appears there will be a lot of container work starting in 2009 as some of the big Jap shipping will start to lease there spots near Dames point.

Can one gross at least 3500 per week (not including any fuel surcharge that may be passed to the o/o) hauling these cans around ? I would like to run up as far north as Virginia, and the possible runs out west to Louissiana or further west if need be. I would like to average 2500 miles per week give or take... I am going to talk to carriers that are hooked up with these outfits. I did talk to one, I think it was road-link but not sure, and I was informed that the drivers were making around 1700-2000 per week after fuel. This was 2 years ago, and I was hoping to do better than this figure.

My thoughts are this and please chime in on your opinions, especially the folks who have done this before. I would like to gross after fuel expense, approx 2200-2600 per week and put away 500 per wk for the so called ''truck fund'', repairs, insurance, reg, etc. That will allow me to earn a decent wage and profit. So I guess I need to gross the 3500 pr wk as mentioned above. Also, I do believe diesel will come down significantly as these inflated fuel prices has strangled the economy.

Looking forward to your expert comments !
Thanks,
Joe (Back on the Road)
Old 10-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Board Regular

I don't know anyone who has or is grossing 3500.00 per week before fuel surcharge hauling containers. In fact, 3500 including fuel surcharge would be a very good week hauling containers in this area, most are grossing less. Maybe it's different in your area.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't haul containers on a regular basis, but can tell you that rates for containers typically are on the lower end of the pay rate in this business. I have gotten some decent rates on occasion, but in talking with those who exclusively haul containers, I am not sure you can do $3,500/week including the fsc pulling containers around. I am sure you can stay busy hauling them. There are a lot of containers coming out of Norfolk, Savannah and Jacksonville. You can probably stay busy, but I am not sure how profitable it will be for you. I would check with some who are currently hauling them. There are several truck stops around Jacksonville. I would hang out around them and talk to those who come into the truck stops. That will give you first hand information. There is a TA south of Jacksonville on I-95 and a Pilot and TA east of Jacksonville on I-95. If you head north on I-95 there are a couple across the Georgia border.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Default containers

GMan,

Know exactly the truck stops you are talking about, drove by and stopped at them (Pilot) daily as the last six months on the road I ran dedicated for the Lowes account and that was one of my fuel stops.

After looking at the numbers again, I believe you to be right RCR, 3500 per with fuel surcharge would be good. Deduct approx 1100 for fuel and gross 2300 per wk. ...And of course deduct expenses out of that 2300.

I guess I am just going to have to network to see if I could make this gig work,,, I do believe there is going to be lots of container hauling in the near future.

Joe
Old 10-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Board Regular

Actually around here the container haulers seem busier than anyone else at the moment.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back on the Road View Post
GMan,

Know exactly the truck stops you are talking about, drove by and stopped at them (Pilot) daily as the last six months on the road I ran dedicated for the Lowes account and that was one of my fuel stops.

After looking at the numbers again, I believe you to be right RCR, 3500 per with fuel surcharge would be good. Deduct approx 1100 for fuel and gross 2300 per wk. ...And of course deduct expenses out of that 2300.

I guess I am just going to have to network to see if I could make this gig work,,, I do believe there is going to be lots of container hauling in the near future.

Joe

I don't know how many miles most of these container people do in a week, but I usually count on about 120 gallons of fuel per day. I have spent over $2,000/week per truck for fuel. I think your fuel cost calculations are a low for most owner operators. It will depend on how many miles you run in a day. If you are doing short runs you won't be spending as much on fuel. Since fuel is your biggest expense these days, I would try to get a closer handle on how many miles you will be running. When doing estimates I normally use 5 mpg. If you have a truck that is more fuel efficient, then you will be pleasantly surprised. I ALWAYS figure costs at the highest rate. You NEVER want to underestimate your costs.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I don't know how many miles most of these container people do in a week, but I usually count on about 120 gallons of fuel per day. I have spent over $2,000/week per truck for fuel. I think your fuel cost calculations are a low for most owner operators. It will depend on how many miles you run in a day. If you are doing short runs you won't be spending as much on fuel. Since fuel is your biggest expense these days, I would try to get a closer handle on how many miles you will be running. When doing estimates I normally use 5 mpg. If you have a truck that is more fuel efficient, then you will be pleasantly surprised. I ALWAYS figure costs at the highest rate. You NEVER want to underestimate your costs.
GMan,
Absolutely correct, my 1100 figure is probably low and I was figuring on 5.5 mpg. Definately going to sit-down and talk with one or two carriers before diving head first into this. See what the rates are and fuel surcharges. I probably will end up a company driver until I can get a good handle on what I need to know/do to make it work. I do feel that in the jax area there will be a ton of this work coming up.

Thanks for the info !
Joe
Old 10-19-2008, 01:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have no doubt that there are and will continue to be a lot of containers coming out of Jacksonville. The main question I have is whether the rates would justify the cost of buying and running a truck. I know a lot of guys haul them, but I don't see how they make it on what they pay, or used to pay. I haul containers every now and then, but when I do I get a pretty good rate. The guys who haul them on a daily basis don't seem to do all that well, judging from the equipment most of them drive. At one time they paid as little as $0.78/mile. You can't make money at that rate. Of course, rates may have come up in recent years. Most owner operators are willing to discuss their rates. Those truck stops would be a good place to catch them. Some may pull their own trailers, others use company trailers. That is also a question you may want to ask. Some of those container carriers don't take good care of their equipment. It is certainly something you need to address when you talk with them. One other thing you may want to try is to go to the port and talk with some of them. That may be tricky these days with Homeland Insecurity. Most do some waiting and may be willing to share some information about their carriers with you.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:24 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't know about your area, but I don;t recall seeing a container paying more than $2/from Baltimore/Phillie to Ontario, CAN.............and I'm talking the tall cans.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:03 PM

Rank,

I don't expect to get that much. After some research and the experience on this board chiming in, I think I may be lucky to get/average 1.50)

I am just going to do my homework and actually sit down with a few of these carriers and try and get the low down. The last time I called a carrier (I think it was Road-Link) he informed me that his owner ops were taking home around 1700 after fuel was decucted. And from the looks of some of these rigs pulling cans you wonder how they can pass inspection. With a decent reliable truck payed off with a warranty, netting 1700 per week after fuel will basically allow me to make a pay-check with little to no profit, as I would have to put back 500/600 per week to cover truck expenses plus taxes.

....so more work on my part needs to be done but if i can sign on with a carrier and i can get that net take home figure after fuel to the 2k mark I certainly believe its worth doing.

Joe

P.S. Thanks again for any and all comments, I continue to educate myself from the exp. Prof. here on this board.