User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Insurance companies will pretty much base their decision on how long you have had your CDL in the U.S. My insurance company wants to know of all experience a driver has before they will insure them. They also require at least 2 years experience. Some who lack the required experience have started with Progressive. I would just call a few insurance companies and see what they say.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Insurance companies will pretty much base their decision on how long you have had your CDL in the U.S. My insurance company wants to know of all experience a driver has before they will insure them. They also require at least 2 years experience. Some who lack the required experience have started with Progressive. I would just call a few insurance companies and see what they say.
So what about guys like my neighbor that did construction his whole life. Then went and got a CDL (without a truck driving school) bought a truck and got his own authority and started right out OTR?

He didn't even mention that it was hard to get insurance or anything. (we are close friends)
Old 11-14-2007, 11:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Hmmm youl probably have to ask Steve on that 1...he is the only one I know that just got a CDL, got his own Auth, then started pulling freight...as for me the Ins Co., Western Ins, just wanted proof how long I had my C.D.L.; easy to verify.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Question,so you want to run under your own authority or lease your truck onto a company?

It would be a little easier to get on with a company than running under a 300 mile restriction with your own authority.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:59 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
Question,so you want to run under your own authority or lease your truck onto a company?

It would be a little easier to get on with a company than running under a 300 mile restriction with your own authority.
I know landstar wants at least 1 year verifiable OTR (sleeper truck) exp. I've been talking to them lately, And they say they don't care if you drove a day cab in 6-7 states for 20 years... you still need that 1 year OTR to lease on to them.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegzus
Quote:

I know landstar wants at least 1 year verifiable OTR (sleeper truck) exp. I've been talking to them lately, And they say they don't care if you drove a day cab in 6-7 states for 20 years... you still need that 1 year OTR to lease on to them.
IMO you should run as fast as you can from Landstar and never look back......

Old 11-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
So what about guys like my neighbor that did construction his whole life. Then went and got a CDL (without a truck driving school) bought a truck and got his own authority and started right out OTR?

He didn't even mention that it was hard to get insurance or anything. (we are close friends)

I don't think anyone is saying that you can't get a CDL, buy a truck and start running under your own authority. However, most will not underwrite anyone who doesn't have a couple of years experience. There is one loophole in the system. Some states have an insurance pool. The way it works is several insurance companies go in together and underwrite a percentage of the coverage. For instance, lets say you have 5 insurance companies and each one assumes 20% of the risk. My insurance agent told me about this program. I am not sure it is available in all states, but she told me that any insurance agent or broker should be aware of it in their respective state. Steve and a few others have been able to get their insurance through Progressive. They will insure the liability portion of your insurance but will usually restrict your travel to somewhere between 300-500 miles of your home base. I believe Steve was able to work something out with another insurance company shortly after securing insurance with Progressive. If I were you, I would ask your friend where he found insurance.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Board Regular

Thanks Gman for the info, and I will ask him the next time he is home.

Mike care to tell me a little more about landstar, you can PM me if you'd like.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Say Mike...not trying to challenge you on this, but what do you have against Landstar?
Reason I asked, was considering them myself, and have been doing a lot of inquiries into them everytime I see a landstar driver and mostly 90% positive feedback....no where I have seen is 100%
Well I'm struggling to average 1.25 and most say they are averaging appx 1.50 and dont have trailer maitence like I do.
Say Mike....n
Old 11-15-2007, 01:51 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Say Mike...not trying to challenge you on this, but what do you have against Landstar?
Reason I asked, was considering them myself, and have been doing a lot of inquiries into them everytime I see a landstar driver and mostly 90% positive feedback....no where I have seen is 100%
Well I'm struggling to average 1.25 and most say they are averaging appx 1.50 and dont have trailer maitence like I do.
Say Mike....n
They have sent my print outs of the load boards for the area I would like to run and I've seen some pretty good loads going out and back hauls coming back in. Most loads in my area are 1.70+ and most are pretty light as well. I would really like more info about landstar because I don't think I'm ready to take on my own authority right now.