User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 03:09 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

3406e was a GREAT engine, I'm just not a huge fan of these new ACERTS. I know you'll argue with me about that until your face turns blue, but I've asked quite a few guys around here what they get with those engines, and it's not pretty.

I've also heard of 2 guys at my company that had them, and the turbos blew. $8,000 later(2 turbos and the charge air cooler).
Old 11-07-2007, 03:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
I know you'll argue with me about that until your face turns blue,
No, i will not! :P
So far, it's prove itself like excellent performer, and nothing breaks...yet! :roll:
And yes, it could be expensive... :sad:
Old 11-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I still prefer CAT. I read somewhere that CAT plans to spend more of their resources on off road engines, such as those in bulldozers, etc., since they don't have to worry so much about the environmental issues. One other concern all of the major engine manufacturers should have is that Navistar (International) has come out with their own engine. Paccar (Peterbilt & Kenworth) is also developing their own engines. This will erode market share for everyone. It seems like all of the major truck manufacturers are developing their own engines. Freightliner has been pushing their Mercedes engines. Of course Volvo has their own engine. I expect to see a shake up in this segment of the market. Things could get interesting.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Board Member

To be honest those all had engines when cat had 38% market share.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some years ago several truck manufacturers made their own engines. Most of them stopped some years ago, except for Mack. I don't think it has been that long ago since they stopped production on their engines. The Mack 427 was a good engine. International just started making engines for their class 8 trucks this year. Paccar is still in development as far as I know. Of course, Mercedes has been making engines for some time, but only in the last few years have they been made available in Freightliner trucks. Volvo seemed to stop putting their engines in those trucks marketed in the U.S. for a time. There seems to be more of a push for them to once again begin using their own engines. The more competition the smaller market share all of them will have. Detroit stopped selling their engines to everyone but Freightliner when Mercedes bought them out. CAT still has the lions share of the off road and big equipment engines. I would not pass on a truck with a Cummins engine. It would certainly cost less to overhaul it than a CAT. The difference is that the CAT seems to go longer before needing major engine work. I would like to see the hard statistics. Numbers can be manipulated very easily. In any case, I would prefer to have a truck with either a CAT, Cummins or Detroit. The main reason is the availability of parts and finding someone who can work on them. It will likely take some time before parts will be more widely available. I don't want to buy any truck that must be taken back to the dealer for repairs. I always feel that I get ripped off every time I go to a dealer for mechanic work. Call me crazy, but I don't think a shop is worth over $100/hour. :shock:
Old 11-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Volvo has had their own engine for a good 10 years now.

International used to have their own engine, maybe they stopped for a few years?

I heard that paccar engine is junk. Talked to a guy with one of them(he was testing for paccar). Been in the shop at least once a month for several days. Last time his fan hub blew, and launched the fan into the rad!

Kevin Rutherford has stated the new cat ACERTS generally cost more to operate, both in fuel and maintenance. That's from 4,000 o/o's worth of data. His company does all accounting/tax returns for them.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
Kevin Rutherford has stated the new cat ACERTS generally cost more to operate,
It's also cost more to operate Cadillac, than Hyundai... :P :wink:
Old 11-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I still prefer CAT. I read somewhere that CAT plans to spend more of their resources on off road engines, such as those in bulldozers, etc., since they don't have to worry so much about the environmental issues. One other concern all of the major engine manufacturers should have is that Navistar (International) has come out with their own engine. Paccar (Peterbilt & Kenworth) is also developing their own engines. This will erode market share for everyone. It seems like all of the major truck manufacturers are developing their own engines. Freightliner has been pushing their Mercedes engines. Of course Volvo has their own engine. I expect to see a shake up in this segment of the market. Things could get interesting.
Hey G-Man dont forget about MACK :wink:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 11-08-2007, 01:11 AM
Board Regular

These guys play with numbers so much it's almost impossible to get the real truth. In 2000 when I bought my Pete you had to special order anything other than a CAT motor. If you did order a Detroit or Cummins the warranty was shorter than CAT so in the end it would have cost 5 grand more for a DDC or Cummins. That was in Southern Ontario at both Pete and Kenworth dealers. So at that time almost all the paccar trucks had CAT's in them.
At Fergus this year we looked at both K-W's and Pete dump trucks. The K-W had a CAT in it and it was awful. I think it would run into the thousands just to replace the the exhaust when it rusted out. The Pete had a Cummins in it and was so much cleaner and simpler. The dealer said this coming year they were ordering 50% of their stock trucks with Cummins just because of plumbing issues with the CAT's and their customer's were trading in ACCERT's and saying they couldn't handle the poor fuel mileage. I'm a CAT man but I know if I had to buy a new truck tomorrow the engine wouldn't be yellow.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:22 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Hey G-Man dont forget about MACK :wink:

I would never forget about Mack. I mentioned them in an earlier post. As far as I know Mack doesn't make any of the engines that go into their class 8 trucks. Their 427 was one of the best engines on the market at one time according to some to whom I have spoken who ran them. I would not be surprised if they jumped back into the market since everyone else seems to want to get into the engine market. The problem that I have with any of them is the easy availability of parts and finding someone who can work on them who is not a dealership.