User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmann View Post
Yes it really was 3 Cretes in a row.....The Crete trucks bumped me while parked in the middle row and they were backing in to spots behind me,basically tapping their trailer against mine......Twice at the Flying J at exit 64 on I-45 in Houston,Tx...Once at the J in Baytown Texas......The blindsider who took out my fender got me at the TA in Terrel Texas........Those were just the times I was in the truck to see,or feel it....I have no idea what's happened while I was away from the truck......

I hardly consider the tail of a trailer lightly bumping the tail of another trailer being "hit"...now if you are knocked out of the bunk well that's a different story.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:46 PM

So lightly bumping is acceptable by the drivers in the trade as a tactic to tell when you are properly backed up in a truck stop ?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post

anybody have any thoughts about blindside backing? any tips, etc.?

drive a day cab they come with cheater windows
Old 02-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
We go by, Smith System safety. I think, it's a SYSCO thing. Anyhow, they tell us that we should avoid backing as possible. Or something..

What gets me, with all the restraunts, etc we deliver to, how ya get to the kitchen without backing in.
if u drive for sysco you should be able to drive your route backwards. if ur not backing so you can drop your ramp 1 step from the door or so you can drop the ramp in the door you are just making xtra work for yourself
Old 02-28-2009, 03:54 AM
Senior Board Member

While i was moving into my new truck two weeks ago, i was talking to another driver in the Phoenix terminal....for quite a while actually. And the topic of blindsiding came up. He actually saw the mirror i bought, the one i hung from my right fenders fish eye (as a joke), and he came up with a way of putting it, i never thought of before.

He said, "when you blindside, it is no different than your setup for drivers side. You set up perpendicular to your 'hole', you turn 90, then turn 90. It is exactly the same blindside. Its not like the truck dimentions change...the only thing that changes, is YOU the driver." in the back of my mind, i kinda knew this, but it took that explainatoin for the light to come on. =)

Figure,....so what....you have to get out and look 3-4 times (if not more) than if you backed drivers side....no big deal.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc View Post
So lightly bumping is acceptable by the drivers in the trade as a tactic to tell when you are properly backed up in a truck stop ?

If it is acceptable for someone to "lightly bump" my truck...is also acceptable for me to "lightly bump" someone's noggin...with the mallet I use for the domelid dogs?? Cuz it isn't acceptable with me to "lightly bump" anything....ever.

If you can't get out and look, while you are backing...you dang well shouldn't be backing.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by INKTOXICATED View Post
Ahh another reason i love driving a daycab with back window and a flatbed. You can see everything. If i was blindsidin' a big van with a sleeper i would definalty ask for a spotter from the forklift driver. Espicailly if it was a tight dock with lots of crap around
Unless I knew the forklift driver I would never count on one for backing. Id take my chances with another driver b4 that.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger409 View Post
Unless I knew the forklift driver I would never count on one for backing. Id take my chances with another driver b4 that.
Agreed. I hate spotters. They just make it worse.:thumbsup:
Old 02-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Senior Board Member

I had the ultimate (worst) blindside back ever this week or some may say the dumbest thing I ever did.

I got unloaded in Riverside Ca a day early so I decided to get a motel room for the night. I called the motel and they said they had truck parking. I got to the motel and seen 2 trucks parked in the parking lot but it didn't look possible to pull in the main drive so I figured there was another way in so I drove around the block. I got to the side of the motel and there a motel sign and a driveway so I pulled into the driveway The driveway went down a hill and made a bend to the right. When I got around the bend and to the bottom the driveway USE to go to the parking lot but now their was a locked fence across the driveway.

I had to blindside back up the driveway blindsind around the corner. When I finally got back up to the busy street I had to blindside back into 3 lanes of traffic at 5pm. To make it worse there were trees where I couldn't see if any cars were coming. I got out and looked for someone who could stop traffic for me but there wasn't anyone around.

I ended up standing behind the trailer watching traffic and when I thought it was clear I ran to the truck and just started backing slow and hoped nobody would hit me. Everyone stopped and I got out of the driveway.

I went around the motel again and double parked and went in and asked how they got trucks in there. They said they pulled in and drove around the building and backed in. Doing that made it a blindside back too. It took me over a hour to get backed into the truck parking.

Lesson learned, NEVER pull into a driveway that you don't know where it goes.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:14 PM

I saw some dumbass almost blind side his way right into the front-end of someone's tractor twice in a Love's parking lot this morning in Jonestown, PA.

There were at least 30 available easily accessible wide open spaces that this guy could've pulled into or backed into from the driver's side.

I don't know what this guy was trying to prove, but he sure did a piss poor job at trying to show off if that's what he was trying to do.