User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Log audits

Interesting conversation. All we require for our Driver Log Auditing Service, for "time verification/falsification" is fuel receipt information which is "standard and primary" for Log Audtiting. However, if a DOT auditor suspects there are more than a few questions regarding your log books, they can look for anything with a time stamp.

You are all correct here. The fuel card companies track your time regardless whether or not there is a time stamp on your receipt. Now, if you use cash, and I know some of you do, other sources such as scales, dispatch records, border crossings etc. come into play.

Be careful with toll receipts. Some older facilities may simply print off a handful of receipts to hand out that could have been sitting for some time.

Edward1

The FMCSA will be handing down a ruling soon about this issue and proposed mandatory inboard HOS recording equipment. Stay tuned for that.

About GPS Satellite Tracking Equipment such as Qualcom and our Datatracking equipment. I had a driver ask this interesting question, "Since the tracking equipment tracks speed, time, distance and location, has a log auditor asked your company for electronic data for an audit?" I had to think about that. I made a call to our tracking control station, then our auditing staff and the answer was NO.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:03 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
I realize that I have only been driving a bit over a year now, but I have fueled at Petros, Love's, T/A's, Pilots and most other major and some independant Truckstops and not ONE of those tickets has a time stamp on it! (DATES, yes!)
If you use Comdata or other fuel cards, the reports that your company gets have the date, time, location, etc on the report every time you use that card to make a purchase.

I can't argue that the reports they get, IF they get them, from these companies might have such info. However, it is NOT on the fuel receipts that I get and turn into them... and such is what they TELL me is subject to any audit. I don't believe they GET, KEEP, or are required to PRODUCE any such "reports."

Quote:
I also scale out at CAT locations whenever possible.... and not ONE of THOSE tickets has a time stamp on it!
In the lower left hand corner of the ticket there is what looks like a code (it is a black box on the copy). It is the date and time you scaled. Look at it closely. It is written half azzed backwards, but it is there. I drove for almost 3 years before someone pointed it out to me one time. Once you know what to look for it is easy to spot.

Yes, I see that box now. However, I doubt seriously if MY company chooses to retain the top copy. The second copy is unreadable. I wonder why that is?? I will check with them tomorrow to see if I can "discard" the top copy. :wink: [and THANKS!]

I do not remember if Interstate and/or Flying J scales time stamp their scale tickets or not, but I promise you CAT does.

Quote:
MOST receivers never timestamp my BOL's. However, MANY shippers (who use computers) DO!
It does not matter how many shippers or recievers do it. If it is there from even one you should worry about it.

Oh yes.... I agree! I HATE it when they do it! But, IF they DO, I ALWAYS color my logbook "around" those times! I even "blow" a few extra minutes on line 4 occaisionally, JUST to look legal! But, in over a year.... I have had exactly ONE trip that was time stamped at BOTH ends!
I always toss the top copy of a scale ticket. and as far as fuel try to plan it so you can log it. time stamped bills always seem to end up under my coffee cup and you just cant seem to make out the time.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:33 AM
Senior Board Member

if your a company driver your SOL as far as actually getting to drive your whole 11 hours i`d venture to guess but if your running on your own its entirely possible, hell its probable.

I get my 11 every day and with 75 mph speed limits and a very friendly cashier at the sinclair station south of casper on I25 I have no fear of being audited, i`m not saying it`s entirely legal but i`m not driving tired and if I got stopped I wouldn`t have an issue.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Senior Board Member

I have survived 3 full blown DOT audits and what they like to do is take a sampling of drivers and lay out about 2 weeks worth of logs on a table then reconstruct what he did using fuel rcpts, toll rcpts, scale rcpts, bols and anyother paperwork that may have been in the file. We as drivers get the HEAT from company log audit departments because they hound us to get the correct info on the logs as it happened and we need to LIE, LIE, LIE on the log to make a decent living and get the freight delivered that pays their salary, but their job protects ours, so its a two way street that we have to look at from the safest side, theirs. Keep good logs and if you ever have a major accident, you can sleep easy at night knowing that you are covered.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Default fuel

When a driver is involved in a major accident, ex; bodily injury, fatality, or for that matter any type of incident that involves litigation. FUEL, WEIGHT.....TOLLS......... One of the first moves that an attorney will make is to request (and WILL receive) the corporate records of these transactions that include TIME STAMPS. The lack of time stamping mostly works for a 'rest stop' type inspection. It certainly does not in the case of more serious incidents
Old 01-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

That's the problem with that job. In order to make a decent check, you've got to "fudge" it to git er' done. But doing so exposes yourself to huge legal/financial liabilities. Do you think your company will stand by you after an accident? Better think again.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Each fuel receipt has a number attached to it. Although the time may not be listed on the receipt itself, it will be on the register at the time of transaction. If you use a fuel card the time will be listed on the employers copy on the billing statement. It may not be needed for an audit, but if a truck is involved in a serious accident then these receipts could be requested. If the logs do not match the times then you have some serious problems. By the way, we talk about the new EOBR's as though they are something new. All anyone need to is take the CPU from the truck and they can find anything they want about what happened prior to the accident. A few years ago, while having an injector installed at the CAT dealer in Denver, I was told that in a serious accident they ALWAYS pull the CPU out of the truck and bring it to them for testing. They can tell everything they want from the CPU without going to the expense of having everyone put in a new on board recording device. They are already on the trucks. FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by got mud?
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
I realize that I have only been driving a bit over a year now, but I have fueled at Petros, Love's, T/A's, Pilots and most other major and some independant Truckstops and not ONE of those tickets has a time stamp on it! (DATES, yes!)
If you use Comdata or other fuel cards, the reports that your company gets have the date, time, location, etc on the report every time you use that card to make a purchase.

I can't argue that the reports they get, IF they get them, from these companies might have such info. However, it is NOT on the fuel receipts that I get and turn into them... and such is what they TELL me is subject to any audit. I don't believe they GET, KEEP, or are required to PRODUCE any such "reports."

Quote:
I also scale out at CAT locations whenever possible.... and not ONE of THOSE tickets has a time stamp on it!
In the lower left hand corner of the ticket there is what looks like a code (it is a black box on the copy). It is the date and time you scaled. Look at it closely. It is written half azzed backwards, but it is there. I drove for almost 3 years before someone pointed it out to me one time. Once you know what to look for it is easy to spot.

Yes, I see that box now. However, I doubt seriously if MY company chooses to retain the top copy. The second copy is unreadable. I wonder why that is?? I will check with them tomorrow to see if I can "discard" the top copy. :wink: [and THANKS!]

I do not remember if Interstate and/or Flying J scales time stamp their scale tickets or not, but I promise you CAT does.

Quote:
MOST receivers never timestamp my BOL's. However, MANY shippers (who use computers) DO!
It does not matter how many shippers or recievers do it. If it is there from even one you should worry about it.

Oh yes.... I agree! I HATE it when they do it! But, IF they DO, I ALWAYS color my logbook "around" those times! I even "blow" a few extra minutes on line 4 occaisionally, JUST to look legal! But, in over a year.... I have had exactly ONE trip that was time stamped at BOTH ends!
I always toss the top copy of a scale ticket. and as far as fuel try to plan it so you can log it. time stamped bills always seem to end up under my coffee cup and you just cant seem to make out the time.

Simple green and a toothpick work well for this, and you can drink all your coffee...lol
Old 01-13-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evertruckerr
It boils down to this. It doesn't matter what your company policies are. It doesn't matter what they let you get away with or what you think you are getting away with.

What's going to count is the day you are sitting in a jail cell because in a split second, someone did something stupid and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time and that someone is no longer alive. It won't matter that it wasn't your fault because a lawyer is going to be pulling up ever bit of info that says you where in one place when your log says you were somewhere else. And when it is all said and done, if you win your case, you will have lost everything to pay for the lawyers. If you lose you will be spending a number of years in prison with your life and your families lives in shambles. And your companies stands a good chance of going down with you if they don't have deep pockets. Check out Roads West out of Phoenix. They just sold out to Knight Transportation and the driver that took them down is looking at 20 years.

Do you think you get paid enough to take that kind of risk.

There are companies out there these days where you can run legal at all times and make a good living. Things are actually changing. No one likes change, but the time is here.

Drive safe all!
True. How true. Logs and "running dirty" is the "open-secret" of the trucking industry. It's one of those "let he without sin cast the first stone" kind of deals. I'm sure I'll get people piping back that they have been driving 684 years and they have NEVER run a dirty log. :roll: Everyone who has ever held a steering-wheel and blew diesel smoke for a living AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER has been there and done that. But, it's like evertruckerr said above... all it takes is one simple f*&^-up that isn't even your fault and the rest of your life is determined by it.

And yet, what can you do?

You have to pay the bills, and to log it legal when you've sat all day waiting to get unloaded/loaded doesn't put food on the table or buy little Jimmy new sneakers and an IPOD for school. :lol:

It's a bit like Russian Roulette (not that I ever have tried that :wink: ... although I admit I have written a "comic book" [and sometimes two of them] a time or two in my life). But it's playing with fire.... who knows when your number is going to come up....
Old 01-13-2007, 07:04 PM

I am sure glad I am a O/O. I pay for anything related to the truck with a business check, American Express, or my business credit card. The only way DOT could get the transaction times would be by court order. But, I run legal anyways ...