User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Another Fed Ex accident

Injury Traffic Crash - Interstate 5 south of Sutherlin (Photos) - 09/23/10
Oregon State Police (OSP) troopers from the Roseburg Area Command office are continuing the investigation into Thursday morning's minor injury traffic crash that closed southbound lanes of Interstate 5 south of Sutherlin for one hour.

According to OSP Senior Trooper Robert Gorman, on September 23, 2010 at approximately 5:45 a.m. a 1992 Chevrolet pickup pulling a yellow 1965 Chevrolet two-door was operated by CHERISE PARRY, age 42, from Bandon, in the right southbound lane of Interstate 5 near milepost 132 at 40 – 45 mph. A southbound Federal Express truck pulling two trailers operated by VLADIMIR CHERNYAK, age 49, from Vancouver, Washington came up behind the Chevrolets at about 55 mph and crashed into the rear of the towed Chevrolet two-door. After impact, the Chevrolet two-door caught fire and came unhitched from the pickup.

The Federal Express truck pushed both vehicles over 400 feet before coming to stop against the center barrier. The pickup stopped against the commercial truck's passenger side and the Chevrolet two-door stopped across both southbound lanes.

Fire and EMS personnel from Sutherlin and Douglas County District 2 responded to extinguish the fire and provide medical care.

PARRY was transported by ambulance to Mercy Medical Center for treatment of minor injuries before being released. She was cited by OSP for Unlawful Possession of less than an Ounce of Marijuana. Her 16-year old male passenger was not injured.

CHERNYAK and his 51-year old male passenger were not injured.

ODOT provided traffic control at the scene while southbound lanes were closed one hour and then opened to shoulder travel for two hours.

No other enforcement action taken while the investigation is continuing.

4 days ago as I was running south on I-5 in Oregon, I was coming up to a construction zone with signs clearly posted "Left lane closed ahead" and a flashing merge right arrow. The Fed Ex driver behind me decides he needs to go about 65mph and pass me just before he runs into the merge sign. Now I understand most trucks cruise about 60mph thru Oregon and California as I myself does when the traffic is light, weather conditions ok and the bears aren't sitting waiting for you. It seems that every Fed Ex driver out there blows by me, especially on I-5. How many of you here, have seen this too? I imagine the above driver was doing more like 65mph when he hit these vehicles, since he pushed them over 400ft down the road after impact.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunker View Post
Injury Traffic Crash - Interstate 5 south of Sutherlin (Photos) - 09/23/10
Oregon State Police (OSP) troopers from the Roseburg Area Command office are continuing the investigation into Thursday morning's minor injury traffic crash that closed southbound lanes of Interstate 5 south of Sutherlin for one hour.

According to OSP Senior Trooper Robert Gorman, on September 23, 2010 at approximately 5:45 a.m. a 1992 Chevrolet pickup pulling a yellow 1965 Chevrolet two-door was operated by CHERISE PARRY, age 42, from Bandon, in the right southbound lane of Interstate 5 near milepost 132 at 40 – 45 mph. A southbound Federal Express truck pulling two trailers operated by VLADIMIR CHERNYAK, age 49, from Vancouver, Washington came up behind the Chevrolets at about 55 mph and crashed into the rear of the towed Chevrolet two-door. After impact, the Chevrolet two-door caught fire and came unhitched from the pickup.

The Federal Express truck pushed both vehicles over 400 feet before coming to stop against the center barrier. The pickup stopped against the commercial truck's passenger side and the Chevrolet two-door stopped across both southbound lanes.

Fire and EMS personnel from Sutherlin and Douglas County District 2 responded to extinguish the fire and provide medical care.

PARRY was transported by ambulance to Mercy Medical Center for treatment of minor injuries before being released. She was cited by OSP for Unlawful Possession of less than an Ounce of Marijuana. Her 16-year old male passenger was not injured.

CHERNYAK and his 51-year old male passenger were not injured.

ODOT provided traffic control at the scene while southbound lanes were closed one hour and then opened to shoulder travel for two hours.

No other enforcement action taken while the investigation is continuing.

4 days ago as I was running south on I-5 in Oregon, I was coming up to a construction zone with signs clearly posted "Left lane closed ahead" and a flashing merge right arrow. The Fed Ex driver behind me decides he needs to go about 65mph and pass me just before he runs into the merge sign. Now I understand most trucks cruise about 60mph thru Oregon and California as I myself does when the traffic is light, weather conditions ok and the bears aren't sitting waiting for you. It seems that every Fed Ex driver out there blows by me, especially on I-5. How many of you here, have seen this too? I imagine the above driver was doing more like 65mph when he hit these vehicles, since he pushed them over 400ft down the road after impact.

it happens all the time along the i-5 corridor....and everywhere else, too. fedex drivers are usually the cause of roadway parking lots. they suck the most. just wait until the snowy weather begins. last winter, i was put into the ditch by a fedex national ltl driver who felt the only way into the left lane was to basically force me into the ditch. i was in the left lane due to not wanting to follow everybody else like a lemming in the right lane. it was wide open as i was mashing along at a slow, steady rate of 25mph. i was just about halfway on his left side when he decided to come over without even signaling. fortunately everybody else took notice and had the freeway come to a halt. fedex driver attempted to flee by hitting up the left shoulder and only came to a massive halt when he hit the guard rail.

the accident was declared "non-preventable" for me. the fedex dipstick was placed in handcuffs, his crap towed, and i was happy there was ONE less crappy fedex driver on the road. there are many more, unfortunately. i was very livid and wanted to do some serious bodily harm to that driver. to this day, i hope something terrible happens to him. yes, my karma may be in the tank for having such thoughts, but i don't care.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:55 AM
Board Icon

I've only been OTR for about 5.5 years, but.... I've seen fewer Fedex trucks involved in accidents than I have "other" company's trucks.

FedEx LTL (freight) trucks are governed at 65, so they are usually pretty "tame." Us "Ground" types are a bit more aggressive... I'll admit. We are usually on a tight schedule and don't have time to get caught up behind NEWBIE drivers AFRAID to go through curves or other situations. That being said... there is no excuse for making an UNSAFE move in traffic. And there is NO excuse for backending a slow moving "towed" vehicle.

AS a Fedex driver, I am more aware of OTHER Fedex drivers on the road. I see about 50 or more EVERY day! To be perfectly honest? "I" am the most aggressive Fedex driver I've ever seen! (But, that doesn't mean that I am not as safe, or safer, than ANY other driver I've seen on the road.)

This company is as professional as ANY on the road, IMHO. I have NEVER seen one of our drivers (of ANY of our divisions) talking on the phone, or eating, or READING A STUPID MAP, or ANY of the other distractions that I see EVERY DAY from OTHER drivers.

I think there is some envy or something going on here. Cuz, this "anti" Fedex fervor is total B.S.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
I've only been OTR for about 5.5 years, but.... I've seen fewer Fedex trucks involved in accidents than I have "other" company's trucks.

FedEx LTL (freight) trucks are governed at 65, so they are usually pretty "tame." Us "Ground" types are a bit more aggressive... I'll admit. We are usually on a tight schedule and don't have time to get caught up behind NEWBIE drivers AFRAID to go through curves or other situations. That being said... there is no excuse for making an UNSAFE move in traffic. And there is NO excuse for backending a slow moving "towed" vehicle.

AS a Fedex driver, I am more aware of OTHER Fedex drivers on the road. I see about 50 or more EVERY day! To be perfectly honest? "I" am the most aggressive Fedex driver I've ever seen! (But, that doesn't mean that I am not as safe, or safer, than ANY other driver I've seen on the road.)

This company is as professional as ANY on the road, IMHO. I have NEVER seen one of our drivers (of ANY of our divisions) talking on the phone, or eating, or READING A STUPID MAP, or ANY of the other distractions that I see EVERY DAY from OTHER drivers.

I think there is some envy or something going on here. Cuz, this "anti" Fedex fervor is total B.S.

how often do you come west? when the snowy weather hits, just look and see how many of you fedex fools end up in the ditch. take a lovely stroll through wyoming on a snowy day, or through echo canyon in utah, and see those fedex drivers jack-knifing their set of doubles or triples, or cutting off other drivers, causing an even worse cluster**** in the process.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:00 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
how often do you come west? when the snowy weather hits, just look and see how many of you fedex fools end up in the ditch. take a lovely stroll through wyoming on a snowy day, or through echo canyon in utah, and see those fedex drivers jack-knifing their set of doubles or triples, or cutting off other drivers, causing an even worse cluster**** in the process.
Well, we can't ALL be everywhere at EVERY time, but.... for the first 3 years, I went west AND BACK every week! I've been to the N.W., MANY times during winter. I was on the ICE in Texas TWICE that one year that Windy talks about. I NEVER saw a FEDEX driver have a wreck during that time. Granted, I wasn't with FEDEX at the time, but my memory is solid.

In the TWO years that I HAVE driven for FEDEX Ground, I've NEVER seen one in an accident (other than ONE time portrayed here on CAD.) So, in 5+ years I've seen about 100 accidents or more, MANY jacknifed trucks (both doubles AND 53 footers) MANY burned up brakes and tires, and that doesn't even count the 4-wheelers!

I cannot say, let alone agree, that in MY "sampling," I have seen this DISPROPORTIONATE claim that Fedex drivers are any worse, or any more prone to accidents, than OTHER companies. Oh, and BTW.... I've heard drivers from nearly every OTHER company come on here and whine about their "preventables!"

IF you'd like to find a link to some statistics that support your bogus claims, I'm sure you could DO so.... IF they exist. But.... I doubt it.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Well, we can't ALL be everywhere at EVERY time, but.... for the first 3 years, I went west AND BACK every week! I've been to the N.W., MANY times during winter. I was on the ICE in Texas TWICE that one year that Windy talks about. I NEVER saw a FEDEX driver have a wreck during that time. Granted, I wasn't with FEDEX at the time, but my memory is solid.

In the TWO years that I HAVE driven for FEDEX Ground, I've NEVER seen one in an accident (other than ONE time portrayed here on CAD.) So, in 5+ years I've seen about 100 accidents or more, MANY jacknifed trucks (both doubles AND 53 footers) MANY burned up brakes and tires, and that doesn't even count the 4-wheelers!

I cannot say, let alone agree, that in MY "sampling," I have seen this DISPROPORTIONATE claim that Fedex drivers are any worse, or any more prone to accidents, than OTHER companies. Oh, and BTW.... I've heard drivers from nearly every OTHER company come on here and whine about their "preventables!"

IF you'd like to find a link to some statistics that support your bogus claims, I'm sure you could DO so.... IF they exist. But.... I doubt it.
i think you live in a state of constant denial. just like the one you live in about how much obama is a f'ing joke. his own party is abandoning him! bush jr. may have sucked and started a war in iraq that shouldn't have ever been started in the first place. at least his party didn't turn their backs on him! MWAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! NOBAMA IS A ONE TERM JACKOFF!

anyway, HERE are TWO fedex f-ups THAT did what they DO best. these are TWO of 8 that very DAY. ALL within a 150mi STRETCH along wyoming's i-80. THE bottom ONE laid his doubles on THEIR side off the WESTBOUND shoulder.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

I kinda gotta go with GH on this one. I see alot of LTL trucks at night on 90 and 81 and have seen quite a few of the road but can't remember any Fed Ex wrecks.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Fedex as a whole is probably about as safe as the rest of em. I think Ive seen one in the ditch but that guy had died of a heart attack.

About 5 years ago a FDXGround semi was burned up on 80 in Indiana but I dont remember why.

I know they dont tolerate BS. They'll fire you in a heartbeat.

But then there was this guy down in cincy a couple years ago...
YouTube - FedEx truck slams into police cruiser and car and I heard he got fired too.

From what I've heard FDX Freight will fire you if you are even charged with DUI in your POV regardless of whether you get convicted or not.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:58 PM

I've been up and down I-5 a lot the last couple weeks and it seems all of the LTL company drivers pulling sets (Fed Ex, Roadway, Old Dominion, just to name a few) got it pedal to the metal without much concern for the speed limit. I'm not a newbie driver, but I do take it down to the posted speed limit going around some of the blind corners, just to get passed by someone in a big hurry. I really don't want to come around that corner and plow into a slow moving vehicle like Fed Ex did. If that driver would have used a little common sense and decided that safety has far more value than being ontime, we wouldn't be talking about this right now.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Just wait until they drop our driving hours to 9 instead of 11. That's when you'll really see them flying.