The trucking industry is in great shape. According to new numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 3,000 trucking jobs were added in April 2023.
The numbers have been strong for more than just the past month, though. For the past calendar year, from April to April, trucking jobs are up by more than 5,000 compared to the previous year. Additionally, 2022 saw an increase of 61,000 jobs.
A Sharp Rebuke to Critics
Recently there have been some critics of the truck driving industry who believe this crucial sector is in a downturn. The critics say that automation is coming soon. They say that wages have been low for decades. And they say that drivers don’t want to work.
These critics are wrong! Let’s look at a few facts:
- Trucking companies have been raising wages and increasing benefits for the past few years.
- The US government passed a bipartisan Infrastructure Bill to improve our highways for driving and expand parking access.
- Automation and “self-driving” technology has been a disaster.
- The industry is attracting more women drivers than ever before.
- Truck drivers may even get special tax relief.
Wages, benefits, and outlook are all strong for truck driving. If you want to join this dynamic career, create a driver profile on Class A Drivers and let’s get on the road.