Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Women in Trucking (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/women-trucking-17/)
-   -   How come women drivers dont flash headlights when you pass them? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/women-trucking/42486-how-come-women-drivers-dont-flash-headlights-when-you-pass-them.html)

Instigator 04-29-2012 02:24 PM

How come women drivers dont flash headlights when you pass them?

So I have noticed, over the last few weeks, that most female drivers that I pass do not flash there headlights when its safe for me to pull back in front of them. I was just wondering why female drivers dont practice this simple common (among male drivers) courtesy? Last week I ran out west (for the first time in my career) and I noticed more women drivers than ever before, but each time I passed one of them I never got the headlight flash to tell me it was ok to come back over. (Not that I need that to happen!) Are they afraid to flash us? I respect women drivers and would never make fun or provoke one so I am just curious as to why none of them do it? Maybe they dont know the old school rules of the road ?

Just to be fair here there are also many many newbie drivers that do not practice it either. What has happened to the old ways of truck driving ? Just sayen.............:)

golfhobo 04-29-2012 07:41 PM

WOW. An "old school" driver who has never before been out West. I'm not "sayin'" anything about that... just letting it roll around in my head.

Don't get mad, Instigator. I've always been on your side. lol. Just came here to give you my opinion, for what it's worth, to your question...

Originally Posted by :
Are they afraid to flash us?

Assuming you meant no "double entendre" there... No, I don't think they are AFRAID.

I think there are several issues, or reasons, for this "phenomenon."

1) There are certain companies who statistically hire more women drivers. [They MAY even cover mostly Western states.] They have lots of trucks (out West) and ALL their drivers... men AND women... are taught or instructed NOT to flash for one or the other of several reasons mentioned on another thread.

2) Or... they might just be SMARTER than us... for one or the other of the several reasons mentioned on another thread.

3) I would certainly NOT assume, based on my many encounters with "drivers of the opposite sex," that they are any LESS focused on the job at hand... and doing it safely.

4) Perhaps... it is as simple as the fact that MOST women Out West who are driving trucks, are probably driving "regional" so they can get home to their families... like so many others here on CAD.

That... by geographic statistics (see #1 above)... makes them "pioneer stock" ... (more) independent type women than Eastern or Southeastern women. [Uh Oh...] LOL!!!

So... welcome to OTR driving out WEST! Please come back and visit real soon!

Well... I guess my "theory" is that there are MORE women driving out West... for big companies with lots of rules... who are very safety conscious and NOT "all that into us" ...um... er.... what do they call us? Oh yeah.... Billy Big Riggers! LOL!!!

They probably drive a well known "governed truck" and everyone is used to passing them... and they are used to being passed. They are into getting home to family and "doing no harm" with that dangerous beast we all wrangle every day. They probably think they see "more than their share" of East Coast Rambos with a nut for the higher speed limits they live with every day.

But, of course... it could just be #2 above.

They might just figure that if they FLASH one of us.... they'll have to flash ALL of us! [I wish my smilies were working!]

A tip of the Hobo's hat to all you lady truckers out there!

Windwalker 04-30-2012 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Instigator:
So I have noticed, over the last few weeks, that most female drivers that I pass do not flash there headlights when its safe for me to pull back in front of them. I was just wondering why female drivers dont practice this simple common (among male drivers) courtesy? Last week I ran out west (for the first time in my career) and I noticed more women drivers than ever before, but each time I passed one of them I never got the headlight flash to tell me it was ok to come back over. (Not that I need that to happen!) Are they afraid to flash us? I respect women drivers and would never make fun or provoke one so I am just curious as to why none of them do it? Maybe they dont know the old school rules of the road ?

Just to be fair here there are also many many newbie drivers that do not practice it either. What has happened to the old ways of truck driving ? Just sayen.............:)

In all honesty, when I read the word "flash", the lights were not the first thing that came to mind.

Actually, I remember a lot of women driving that did flash their lights at me when I passed them. Or, if they passed me and I flashed them, they'd blink their tails at me.

But... There are a whole lot of drivers, mostly men, who will flash their high beams at the truck that passed them during night time hours. That bright light in the mirror is very bad. The common courtesy is to flash them off, then back on, using low beams only. High beams is not a courtesy. It's more of a safety hazard than anything. You're not likely to run off the road by turning your headlights off for a few seconds.

4roses 04-30-2012 05:45 AM

golfhobo and windwalker I think both of you explained it rather nicely .... ty ! I'm from the old school, I've driven all lower 48's and west coast to east coast canada, and it did seem the drivers on each coast treated 'other' drivers different ... but I always let the driver know when it was safe for them to pull over - in front of me - and blinked my rear lights to say 'thank you' for their manners also.... And golfhobo your right .... CFI and others told us NOT to flash/dim our lights for others to slide back into the lane in front of us ... because if there would of been a fenderbender or accident - that driver pulling in front would try to blame me/us for telling them it was safe to come on over, when it really wasn't...... But what always upset me were the rambo's out there that slide over in front of me with only a couple of feet to spare ... and then slowed down their speed. grrrrrr!!!!!

Drive safely no matter where you are ..... you never know if the driver you might of just been rude to while passing -- - may be the person you ask help from down the road.

Instigator 05-04-2012 12:31 AM

Yes can you believe it, I have never ran the west coast before, mostly east coast and Canada. I try and stay east of the mississippi if I can. I have to admit, running out west was an adventure, one that I will not make again anytime soon. Some driver love running out in "Gods Country" but for me, I prefur the east coast. Where we have trees, rude drivers, people, places to eat, and did I mention trees, lots of trees and oceans. Although I liked some areas out west like Seattle and the mountains, some areas of Idaho and Wyoming, but the rest you can keep, this city boy likes buildings.

Oh and there was one area in Nebraska where a cow farm, really large, actually it was huge right on the interstate, smelled so bad of cow piss I thought I was gonna get sick! That stench was horrible and almost made me vomit! It took a long time to get rid of the smell form my cab, I can still smell it if ya know what I mean.

Now, getting back to my question, I guess some of what you guys said makes sense. I was just wondering why most of the women drivers did not flash there lights when you pass them out on the road. Its sorta like why are the newbie drivers so damn rude? Its like they dont give a damn about the fact they they are driving a big rig, they cut you off, pull out in front of you while you are gaining on them (yes I am one of the super truckers thats un governed). I guess one day we will all be governed down to 65, and thats the day I will retire for good! I tried it and just cant do it!

Thanks for the replies!~

Amie 05-04-2012 01:02 AM

Though I am not a truck driver yet...

I have much respect for the ones who do drive ol school,they seem more level headed, just my 2cents, But the reason I'm making a comment to this is because I pay attention to everything on the road, I know Not to ride a trucks ass and where the trucks blind spots are, But I also Know how to drift behind one,when I'm told it's okay,. I also Know to keep an eye out for the trucks wanting to change lanes and too flash and let them Know
They are clear to jump in front of me..

I don't think it's so much of people being a Noob trucker, but more like People just don't care ,and not to mention just stupid as all H3LL and don't get it.

I was heading home from work one night, and there was a van and a trucker behind the van in the other side of the lane... Well the trucker had a choice to wait till he had a clear chance to pass the van, or drive on
the side of the shoulder ,He picked to pass the van doing 60, he opened up my car from front bumper to rear pumper on the driver side, the only thing that saved me is the fact I didn't have a seat belt on
and I jumped from the drivers side to the other.

Once my car finally stopped and I was able to get up and walk around i walked up to the trucker and other truck drivers and people had stopped
I asked him,,, WHY didn't you just wait to pass the van ??

His comment was well I had been following him for the last few miles and he kept slowing down because I'd get on his bumper.His next comment to me and other people standing there was
I had a choice to drive on the shoulder to pass the van or, pass the van and hit her car......SO I picked to hit her car!

See my Point??

People just don't care and they are fricking stupid !

Safe travels :)

Windwalker 05-04-2012 04:55 AM

Yes can you believe it, I have never ran the west coast before, mostly east coast and Canada. I try and stay east of the mississippi if I can. I have to admit, running out west was an adventure, one that I will not make again anytime soon. Some driver love running out in "Gods Country" but for me, I prefur the east coast. Where we have trees, rude drivers, people, places to eat, and did I mention trees, lots of trees and oceans. Although I liked some areas out west like Seattle and the mountains, some areas of Idaho and Wyoming, but the rest you can keep, this city boy likes buildings.

I've known that there are people that are "gluttons for punishment" and actually think they LIKE the east coast. I've never been one of them.:)

Oh and there was one area in Nebraska where a cow farm, really large, actually it was huge right on the interstate, smelled so bad of cow piss I thought I was gonna get sick! That stench was horrible and almost made me vomit! It took a long time to get rid of the smell form my cab, I can still smell it if ya know what I mean.

You'll find that the operator of that "FEED LOT" will tell you "That's the smell of money". Think about that the next time you enjoy one of those nice, thick, juicy steaks... Might be where it came from.:D

Windwalker 05-04-2012 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Amie:
Though I am not a truck driver yet...

I have much respect for the ones who do drive ol school,they seem more level headed, just my 2cents, But the reason I'm making a comment to this is because I pay attention to everything on the road, I know Not to ride a trucks ass and where the trucks blind spots are, But I also Know how to drift behind one,when I'm told it's okay,. I also Know to keep an eye out for the trucks wanting to change lanes and too flash and let them Know
They are clear to jump in front of me..

I don't think it's so much of people being a Noob trucker, but more like People just don't care ,and not to mention just stupid as all H3LL and don't get it.

I was heading home from work one night, and there was a van and a trucker behind the van in the other side of the lane... Well the trucker had a choice to wait till he had a clear chance to pass the van, or drive on
the side of the shoulder ,He picked to pass the van doing 60, he opened up my car from front bumper to rear pumper on the driver side, the only thing that saved me is the fact I didn't have a seat belt on
and I jumped from the drivers side to the other.

Once my car finally stopped and I was able to get up and walk around i walked up to the trucker and other truck drivers and people had stopped
I asked him,,, WHY didn't you just wait to pass the van ??

His comment was well I had been following him for the last few miles and he kept slowing down because I'd get on his bumper.His next comment to me and other people standing there was
I had a choice to drive on the shoulder to pass the van or, pass the van and hit her car......SO I picked to hit her car!

See my Point??

People just don't care and they are fricking stupid !

Safe travels :)

He passed with oncoming traffic? I sincerely hope he doesn't have a driver's license anymore. Not just out of a truck, but off the road. Doesn't sound to me like he's safe driving a bicycle.

SamIam_Murphy 05-04-2012 07:48 PM

I may flash the lights or not depending on how heavy the traffic flow is.
The more traffic, the more likely I do want to let you know it is okay to move over.

Amie 05-04-2012 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Windwalker:
He passed with oncoming traffic? I sincerely hope he doesn't have a driver's license anymore. Not just out of a truck, but off the road. Doesn't sound to me like he's safe driving a bicycle.

And yes he passed in oncoming traffic ** Not really sure how long he kept driving after that, when i called his office I was told he was still with the company,But I do know he got his butt kicked that night by a few people after he made his comment.

Safe travels ;)

mitchno1 05-05-2012 03:21 AM

you such a expert experienced driver instigator you should know when your trailer is clear and safe to pull in i would of thought

repete 05-05-2012 05:12 AM

Tell ya the truth I don't bother to look to see who's driving. The only time I flash someone in is when they have traffic behind them, bad weather, or a set of doubles. Seems a lot of drivers just cut over to close even on a 3 lane with no traffic

Fredog 05-05-2012 01:38 PM

the in-house trucking schools teach the new kids not to flash drivers over, to always use the middle lane, and to pull out from the emergency lane directly onto the highway instead of building up some speed first.

Snowman7 05-05-2012 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fredog:
the in-house trucking schools teach the new kids not to flash drivers over, to always use the middle lane, and to pull out from the emergency lane directly onto the highway instead of building up some speed first.

yeah and dont give away your intentions by using a turn signal either lol.

Anyway, as far as flashing goes, I dont know I've always thought it was a little over rated. I dont flash everybody. I work nights in a governed truck and I get passed all night long. I know when its safe to come over so should the other guy. If its heavy rain or snow or if he's being tailgated I'll flash but I dont do it everytime. Besides I dont tailgate so I dont want you coming over three feet in front of me anyway. On a side note our "official" company policy prohibits flashing any lights to assist another driver, probably because of the liabilty.

Instigator 05-07-2012 01:09 PM

mitchno1 I guess it says it all about you in your name mitch, your number one, and Im guessing here a "Super Trucker, Master of All" you sir are a true professional. I know exactly where my trailer is at all times, I dont need a head light flash for any reason, its usually done just as a courtesy and thats all. My original question was just out of curiosity its that simple. Your infatuation with me is an unusual one I must admit. Why you seem to be so negative at every turn is questionable at best and your motives certainly unclear at this time. Maybe you have nothing better to do?

In response to your ever ending dis-belief in me I will tell you this, 17 years experience in this industry makes me a professional wether you care to believe that or not, I owned a trucking company for 8 years and yes I can prove it. You are sounding like a disgruntled under achiever in this industry and you think you are a know it all on all trucking issues. Best of luck to you super trucker, keep the rubber down and the shiny side up my friend. 10 - 4 ?

Instigator 05-07-2012 01:13 PM

Sorry mate, I looked at your profile and it explains everything, your not even an American Trucker! Bwahahahahahahaha! You know nothing about our culture here in the states and yet you have the nerve to make comments about us here! Laughable at best my friend. Keep stick hauling !

Shawnee 06-01-2012 04:32 AM

I am female and I have always flashed other drivers, and always flash back when someone lets me in. Guess I was just brought up the "old school" way since my dad was an "old school" trucker. I also do things like back off to let an other driver over if I see that he is going to need to get over, regardless if they put their signal on or not, it is just common courteousy that isn't so common anymore. I still look out for other drivers on the road, there are not a lot out here anymore that do. These steering wheel holders that are on the roads nowdays just dont seem to give a crap about anyone. Many of them drive like they have tunnel vision, they don't have a clue about what's going on around them.

I noticed your signiture line, I started out driving an old GMC astro cabover, no air ride, or power steering, and have been backing up trucks since I was a teenager so I do know a little bit about driving a truck, just in case you wanted to put me down or something,

mitchno1 06-01-2012 04:52 AM

Sorry mate, I looked at your profile and it explains everything, your not even an American Trucker! Bwahahahahahahaha! You know nothing about our culture here in the states and yet you have the nerve to make comments about us here! Laughable at best my friend. Keep stick hauling !

since when did you have to be a american to drive a truck plonker you obviously all bulls--t

Instigator 06-03-2012 11:26 PM

Shawnee I would never put you down! Only the nay sayers who have no clue will ever get a negative response from me. I am glad that you flash your lights, I agree its a courtesy thing that many newbies dont do. I actually posted some pics of some of the rigs I have driven on my profile for the nay sayers like the one above my post. Its laughable at best that they think I am making this stuff up, If I was I would be writing books for a living!

Hey Mitchno1, you are correct, I have never hauled any BULLS ! Hahahahahahahaha but I do know bulls**t when I smell it!

shyykatt 06-04-2012 02:36 AM

Perhaps they don't flash b/c they don't want the males to get the wrong idea, coz men are,well, men....lol, j/k...:P

Really tho, schools are discouraging the practice ;)

BanditsCousin 06-08-2012 05:38 PM

Sometimes I think Instigator is that Kevin guy we used to see so much of....

Scoe 06-08-2012 06:27 PM

I had forgotten all about 'ol Kevin...wonder what he's up to?

mitchno1 06-09-2012 07:02 AM

instigator is a dreamer

golfhobo 06-09-2012 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by mitchno1:
instigator is a dreamer

Not sure what the "future aspirations" are of truck drivers on an island no bigger than my state, but... here in America, pretty much ALL truckers are "dreamers."

MANY of us "dream" of that perfect job. Some never leave their "training company" like Swift or Werner or TMC. Some of us try different jobs to get closer to our dream. Instigator seems like a "surfer" in search of the perfect wave. I don't have a problem with that. HE knows (by now) the drawbacks of job-hopping. Hell... he's been at this longer than MOST of us! He also knows (and PROVES) what my Dad keeps telling me: "you've got a meal ticket in your wallet, son! Keep your nose clean, and you can choose the company you work for."

I'm not trying to play moderator. Besides... it's against the rules. But, I just don't GET your animosity towards him. Maybe I missed something along the way, but.... I THINK I've read most of the pertinent posts by both of you. I respect both of you.

Okay... that's my 2 cents. Y'all carry on as you please now.

Roadhog 06-10-2012 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by mitchno1:
instigator is a dreamer

hobo is a lemur... http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...cheesygrin.gif

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...tching_you.gif

........................ it's itchy....

golfhobo 06-10-2012 05:58 PM

That's not me. I'm right handed.

MichiganDriver 06-10-2012 11:17 PM

That's how I picture Hobo. lmao!

j/k mate (I think)

Roadhog 06-10-2012 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by MichiganDriver:
That's how I picture Hobo. lmao!

j/k mate (I think)

He's use to hearing wimmin yell OMG at him.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...henIgothom.gif

​...........OMG!

4roses 06-13-2012 05:50 AM

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28...aysnags335.gif

and a person wonders why real Professional Females don't come in here to answer a question ~ it always goes back to the same thing.

Roadhog 06-13-2012 07:58 AM

I'll stay off your wimmins forum.

Roadhog 06-14-2012 10:01 PM

I'm just picking up my stuff.
I'm taking my tire thumper...my thermos... my WD-40...

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...and10/Jerk.jpg

4roses 06-15-2012 04:27 AM

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28...20CENTSacf.gif

stay and play ... looks like most all the Professional Female drivers have left the site anyway ... enjoy.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/4roses/18.gif

MichiganDriver 06-17-2012 10:27 AM

Men are bad and sex is dirty. :)

GMAN 06-17-2012 09:58 PM

I wish that there were more women posting. It added a different dimension to the discussions.

shyykatt 06-18-2012 01:27 AM

You mean, better, dimension :P

4roses 06-19-2012 02:42 PM

I agree Gman .... but some people seem to think EVERY thread has been opened to throw in a 'boys' joke, or to use this thread to put down female drivers ... I do believe there is a thread already for for 'boys' jokes with mostly nude females on it ..... Why can't their be respect and keep at least one (1) only one thread without putting down, or rude jokes on it that Professional Female Drivers could go to and feel safe ?? ...... CAD should change it's name to Class A Boys' Club. There is a site I belong to that is primarly females and they don't permit this kind of 'kids' put down on it ......... it's a more serious site to enrich, enlighten, and strengthen female drivers and Yes they do have male members, but there IS a strong respect for each other .... Some people just never change or get a clue. They speak to each other as if their still seating behind a CB in their truck.............. Good luck CAD .. your slowly losing a gender in this profession that at one time was helpful and encouraging to the new female drivers and helped to make Us feel like there was a place we could come to for knowledge and a family connection .. but that is being kicked to the curb. I too miss the awesome female drivers we once had on this site .... but they also got fed up with the 'boys' lack of respect and have gone else where ..... I rarely come here - it's only to see if there's any new females I can assist ..... but I can see the male gender has taken over All the threads now. ....... Enjoy - knock yourself out - have fun.

Sharlie 06-23-2012 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 4roses:
I agree Gman .... but some people seem to think EVERY thread has been opened to throw in a 'boys' joke, or to use this thread to put down female drivers ... I do believe there is a thread already for for 'boys' jokes with mostly nude females on it ..... Why can't their be respect and keep at least one (1) only one thread without putting down, or rude jokes on it that Professional Female Drivers could go to and feel safe ?? ......

Pictures of almost nude women, make you feel unsafe? Truck driving must be a nightmare for you.

Originally Posted by :
CAD should change it's name to Class A Boys' Club. There is a site I belong to that is primarly females and they don't permit this kind of 'kids' put down on it ......... it's a more serious site to enrich, enlighten, and strengthen female drivers and Yes they do have male members, but there IS a strong respect for each other .... Some people just never change or get a clue. They speak to each other as if their still seating behind a CB in their truck.............. Good luck CAD .. your slowly losing a gender in this profession that at one time was helpful and encouraging to the new female drivers and helped to make Us feel like there was a place we could come to for knowledge and a family connection .. but that is being kicked to the curb. I too miss the awesome female drivers we once had on this site .... but they also got fed up with the 'boys' lack of respect and have gone else where .....

Post or don't post,. Truth be told that drivers can be male or female and women or men can answer questions. If you aren't here to answer, others will.

Incase no one told you, WE are all replaceable

Originally Posted by :
but I can see the male gender has taken over All the threads now.

Because they promised you exclusivity??

Originally Posted by :
....... Enjoy - knock yourself out - have fun.

Just because you approved it, we will.... tata

4roses 06-23-2012 06:19 PM

Sharlie Just for Your information. I NEVER SAID NUDE PICTURS MAKE ME FELL UNSAFE - go back and reread what I wrote !! .... and don't take it out of context - the 'feel safe' was because for 8 years I've been a member here and we had several Very qualified female drivers ( back then) that actually helped new female drivers with their concerns and questions. We WERE a family here and held each other up and bonded as Female Drivers..This past couple of years it's gone the other direction because of the Lack of Repect for the Lady Drivers ... if a 'new' female driver would ask a question someone would say something negative or discouraging that would make that 'new member' feel like they were stupid for asking ... And sorry but I was raised that there's never a stupid question. And the answer wasn't about sex or jerking off or pointing a finger at ONLY the female gender.There is a Place and Time for such things as nude pictures. And I don't Feel unsafe here either - it's the rude comments - almost XXX rated comments that are uncalled for.

Sometimes humans forget how to treat others .... that's part of the Big problem in this world today - - - say what You want - when You want to - and screw everyone else........ Sorry but in this world we live amoung each other and some day - - everyone is going to need someone to lift them up and show them their valued as a human........ And I fully intend to continue the path I'm on and show respect for others. And be Respectful.

Anyone can answer a question on an open forum .... male / female. Does Not Matter Whom answers the question .... but ALL I'm asking for is a little thing called Respect !! ...... or has that too fallen off the face of this earth ?

Sharlie I'll bet money every day your on that road .... you expect respect. Why - - because - - We treat others the way We want to be treated.

MichiganDriver 06-24-2012 01:53 PM

Personally, I think there's way too much punctuation in this thread. It's way out of line. The use of periods alone is an affront to the English language and although not exactly punctuation, the use of caps in inappropriate places is a further affront. Can we clean up the grammar please? If not for ourselves, for the children.

Sharlie 06-24-2012 01:54 PM

Welcome back, I was fixing on answering this yesterday but I got busy.

I'm sorry some people here aren't showing proper respect. Us the ignore feature. For all the complaining about boys being boys, I'm sorry if you can change them I'd love to see that. I'm not going to hold my breath. I guess I'm used to them, they are predictible, so its safe for me.

No I don't feel obligated to participate, I'm a woman, I do what I want. As I'm sure you do too. I don't need strangers to show me respect, those that don't, I just ignore.

I'm a realist I guess, I don't believe people are so selfless they are surfing the net in hopes of helping random strangers. I believe everyone here is here for one reason they are bored. And if answering a question does two things, fills the void in time and gives them boosts to their egos for having known something that someone else didn't then they do it.

If you are in fact Mother Theresa reincarnated, my apologizes, for being so cynical. Carry on.