User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How come women drivers dont flash headlights when you pass them?

So I have noticed, over the last few weeks, that most female drivers that I pass do not flash there headlights when its safe for me to pull back in front of them. I was just wondering why female drivers dont practice this simple common (among male drivers) courtesy? Last week I ran out west (for the first time in my career) and I noticed more women drivers than ever before, but each time I passed one of them I never got the headlight flash to tell me it was ok to come back over. (Not that I need that to happen!) Are they afraid to flash us? I respect women drivers and would never make fun or provoke one so I am just curious as to why none of them do it? Maybe they dont know the old school rules of the road ?

Just to be fair here there are also many many newbie drivers that do not practice it either. What has happened to the old ways of truck driving ? Just sayen.............
Just an old school trucker, these kids today don't know how good they have it! Power steering, a/c, air ride cabs and trailers, air ride seats! I did not have any of these things when I started driving.
Drive an old Mack, White or GMC then tell me how good a driver you are!issedoff: :bow::lol2: Don't even get me started on backing in to a dock!ops:

Instigator!~
Old 04-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Board Icon

WOW. An "old school" driver who has never before been out West. I'm not "sayin'" anything about that... just letting it roll around in my head.

Don't get mad, Instigator. I've always been on your side. lol. Just came here to give you my opinion, for what it's worth, to your question...

Quote:
Are they afraid to flash us?
Assuming you meant no "double entendre" there... No, I don't think they are AFRAID.

I think there are several issues, or reasons, for this "phenomenon."

1) There are certain companies who statistically hire more women drivers. [They MAY even cover mostly Western states.] They have lots of trucks (out West) and ALL their drivers... men AND women... are taught or instructed NOT to flash for one or the other of several reasons mentioned on another thread.

2) Or... they might just be SMARTER than us... for one or the other of the several reasons mentioned on another thread.

3) I would certainly NOT assume, based on my many encounters with "drivers of the opposite sex," that they are any LESS focused on the job at hand... and doing it safely.

4) Perhaps... it is as simple as the fact that MOST women Out West who are driving trucks, are probably driving "regional" so they can get home to their families... like so many others here on CAD.

That... by geographic statistics (see #1 above)... makes them "pioneer stock" ... (more) independent type women than Eastern or Southeastern women. [Uh Oh...] LOL!!!

So... welcome to OTR driving out WEST! Please come back and visit real soon!

Well... I guess my "theory" is that there are MORE women driving out West... for big companies with lots of rules... who are very safety conscious and NOT "all that into us" ...um... er.... what do they call us? Oh yeah.... Billy Big Riggers! LOL!!!

They probably drive a well known "governed truck" and everyone is used to passing them... and they are used to being passed. They are into getting home to family and "doing no harm" with that dangerous beast we all wrangle every day. They probably think they see "more than their share" of East Coast Rambos with a nut for the higher speed limits they live with every day.

But, of course... it could just be #2 above.

They might just figure that if they FLASH one of us.... they'll have to flash ALL of us! [I wish my smilies were working!]

A tip of the Hobo's hat to all you lady truckers out there!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:34 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instigator View Post
So I have noticed, over the last few weeks, that most female drivers that I pass do not flash there headlights when its safe for me to pull back in front of them. I was just wondering why female drivers dont practice this simple common (among male drivers) courtesy? Last week I ran out west (for the first time in my career) and I noticed more women drivers than ever before, but each time I passed one of them I never got the headlight flash to tell me it was ok to come back over. (Not that I need that to happen!) Are they afraid to flash us? I respect women drivers and would never make fun or provoke one so I am just curious as to why none of them do it? Maybe they dont know the old school rules of the road ?

Just to be fair here there are also many many newbie drivers that do not practice it either. What has happened to the old ways of truck driving ? Just sayen.............
In all honesty, when I read the word "flash", the lights were not the first thing that came to mind.

Actually, I remember a lot of women driving that did flash their lights at me when I passed them. Or, if they passed me and I flashed them, they'd blink their tails at me.

But... There are a whole lot of drivers, mostly men, who will flash their high beams at the truck that passed them during night time hours. That bright light in the mirror is very bad. The common courtesy is to flash them off, then back on, using low beams only. High beams is not a courtesy. It's more of a safety hazard than anything. You're not likely to run off the road by turning your headlights off for a few seconds.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 AM
Senior Board Member

golfhobo and windwalker I think both of you explained it rather nicely .... ty ! I'm from the old school, I've driven all lower 48's and west coast to east coast canada, and it did seem the drivers on each coast treated 'other' drivers different ... but I always let the driver know when it was safe for them to pull over - in front of me - and blinked my rear lights to say 'thank you' for their manners also.... And golfhobo your right .... CFI and others told us NOT to flash/dim our lights for others to slide back into the lane in front of us ... because if there would of been a fenderbender or accident - that driver pulling in front would try to blame me/us for telling them it was safe to come on over, when it really wasn't...... But what always upset me were the rambo's out there that slide over in front of me with only a couple of feet to spare ... and then slowed down their speed. grrrrrr!!!!!

Drive safely no matter where you are ..... you never know if the driver you might of just been rude to while passing -- - may be the person you ask help from down the road.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'

Last edited by 4roses; 04-30-2012 at 05:47 AM. Reason: miss spell
Old 05-04-2012, 12:31 AM

Yes can you believe it, I have never ran the west coast before, mostly east coast and Canada. I try and stay east of the mississippi if I can. I have to admit, running out west was an adventure, one that I will not make again anytime soon. Some driver love running out in "Gods Country" but for me, I prefur the east coast. Where we have trees, rude drivers, people, places to eat, and did I mention trees, lots of trees and oceans. Although I liked some areas out west like Seattle and the mountains, some areas of Idaho and Wyoming, but the rest you can keep, this city boy likes buildings.

Oh and there was one area in Nebraska where a cow farm, really large, actually it was huge right on the interstate, smelled so bad of cow piss I thought I was gonna get sick! That stench was horrible and almost made me vomit! It took a long time to get rid of the smell form my cab, I can still smell it if ya know what I mean.

Now, getting back to my question, I guess some of what you guys said makes sense. I was just wondering why most of the women drivers did not flash there lights when you pass them out on the road. Its sorta like why are the newbie drivers so damn rude? Its like they dont give a damn about the fact they they are driving a big rig, they cut you off, pull out in front of you while you are gaining on them (yes I am one of the super truckers thats un governed). I guess one day we will all be governed down to 65, and thats the day I will retire for good! I tried it and just cant do it!

Thanks for the replies!~
Just an old school trucker, these kids today don't know how good they have it! Power steering, a/c, air ride cabs and trailers, air ride seats! I did not have any of these things when I started driving.
Drive an old Mack, White or GMC then tell me how good a driver you are!issedoff: :bow::lol2: Don't even get me started on backing in to a dock!ops:

Instigator!~
Old 05-04-2012, 01:02 AM
Rookie

Though I am not a truck driver yet...

I have much respect for the ones who do drive ol school,they seem more level headed, just my 2cents, But the reason I'm making a comment to this is because I pay attention to everything on the road, I know Not to ride a trucks ass and where the trucks blind spots are, But I also Know how to drift behind one,when I'm told it's okay,. I also Know to keep an eye out for the trucks wanting to change lanes and too flash and let them Know
They are clear to jump in front of me..

I don't think it's so much of people being a Noob trucker, but more like People just don't care ,and not to mention just stupid as all H3LL and don't get it.

I was heading home from work one night, and there was a van and a trucker behind the van in the other side of the lane... Well the trucker had a choice to wait till he had a clear chance to pass the van, or drive on
the side of the shoulder ,He picked to pass the van doing 60, he opened up my car from front bumper to rear pumper on the driver side, the only thing that saved me is the fact I didn't have a seat belt on
and I jumped from the drivers side to the other.

Once my car finally stopped and I was able to get up and walk around i walked up to the trucker and other truck drivers and people had stopped
I asked him,,, WHY didn't you just wait to pass the van ??

His comment was well I had been following him for the last few miles and he kept slowing down because I'd get on his bumper.His next comment to me and other people standing there was
I had a choice to drive on the shoulder to pass the van or, pass the van and hit her car......SO I picked to hit her car!

See my Point??

People just don't care and they are fricking stupid !

Safe travels
Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Yes can you believe it, I have never ran the west coast before, mostly east coast and Canada. I try and stay east of the mississippi if I can. I have to admit, running out west was an adventure, one that I will not make again anytime soon. Some driver love running out in "Gods Country" but for me, I prefur the east coast. Where we have trees, rude drivers, people, places to eat, and did I mention trees, lots of trees and oceans. Although I liked some areas out west like Seattle and the mountains, some areas of Idaho and Wyoming, but the rest you can keep, this city boy likes buildings.
I've known that there are people that are "gluttons for punishment" and actually think they LIKE the east coast. I've never been one of them.
Quote:
Oh and there was one area in Nebraska where a cow farm, really large, actually it was huge right on the interstate, smelled so bad of cow piss I thought I was gonna get sick! That stench was horrible and almost made me vomit! It took a long time to get rid of the smell form my cab, I can still smell it if ya know what I mean.
You'll find that the operator of that "FEED LOT" will tell you "That's the smell of money". Think about that the next time you enjoy one of those nice, thick, juicy steaks... Might be where it came from.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:58 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
Though I am not a truck driver yet...

I have much respect for the ones who do drive ol school,they seem more level headed, just my 2cents, But the reason I'm making a comment to this is because I pay attention to everything on the road, I know Not to ride a trucks ass and where the trucks blind spots are, But I also Know how to drift behind one,when I'm told it's okay,. I also Know to keep an eye out for the trucks wanting to change lanes and too flash and let them Know
They are clear to jump in front of me..

I don't think it's so much of people being a Noob trucker, but more like People just don't care ,and not to mention just stupid as all H3LL and don't get it.

I was heading home from work one night, and there was a van and a trucker behind the van in the other side of the lane... Well the trucker had a choice to wait till he had a clear chance to pass the van, or drive on
the side of the shoulder ,He picked to pass the van doing 60, he opened up my car from front bumper to rear pumper on the driver side, the only thing that saved me is the fact I didn't have a seat belt on
and I jumped from the drivers side to the other.

Once my car finally stopped and I was able to get up and walk around i walked up to the trucker and other truck drivers and people had stopped
I asked him,,, WHY didn't you just wait to pass the van ??

His comment was well I had been following him for the last few miles and he kept slowing down because I'd get on his bumper.His next comment to me and other people standing there was
I had a choice to drive on the shoulder to pass the van or, pass the van and hit her car......SO I picked to hit her car!

See my Point??

People just don't care and they are fricking stupid !

Safe travels
He passed with oncoming traffic? I sincerely hope he doesn't have a driver's license anymore. Not just out of a truck, but off the road. Doesn't sound to me like he's safe driving a bicycle.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:48 PM

I may flash the lights or not depending on how heavy the traffic flow is.
The more traffic, the more likely I do want to let you know it is okay to move over.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
He passed with oncoming traffic? I sincerely hope he doesn't have a driver's license anymore. Not just out of a truck, but off the road. Doesn't sound to me like he's safe driving a bicycle.
And yes he passed in oncoming traffic ** Not really sure how long he kept driving after that, when i called his office I was told he was still with the company,But I do know he got his butt kicked that night by a few people after he made his comment.

Safe travels

Last edited by Amie; 05-05-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: forgot to answer a question
Closed Thread