Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Women in Trucking (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/women-trucking-17/)
-   -   Nervous (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/women-trucking/38961-nervous.html)

annie7680 10-25-2009 05:52 PM

Nervous

Hello!

I am in need of some advice and words of wisdom. I am starting trucking school on Tuesday and expect to be working by Thanksgiving or the first of December at the latest. This a big career change for me. My career background has been mainly in the corporate world(I have a degree in human resources along with holding a series 7, series 63, property and casualty insurance license, and a life accident and health insurance license) but when I lost my job back in April, I decided I wanted to do something for me. I tried working with Aflac for a couple of months but had to give it up due to the fact that it was 100% commission and there was nothing coming in. I hit on the idea of truck driving through a friend and went on several runs with him (including going over the road) to see what it would be like.

As I said before, I start school on Tuesday. To say I am not nervous would be a lie. I'm trying not to look at the big picture because it frightens me. But I do have questions about being a female and being in this industry. By biggest concern is exactly how safe is it for a woman to drive alone? I know the cab is your home on wheels and it's not being in the cab alone that scares me. It's the idea of being at a truck stop for the night and having to get up and go to the bathroom but possibly being park so far away. I have traveled alone many times but it's been in my car and I wasn't required by the DOT to stop at after a certain period of time. I'm not sure that I want to team with someone as I like being able to do my own thing.

Like I said, words of wisdom and encouragement and advice are more than welcome. :)

Justruckin 10-25-2009 09:31 PM

Well, you go to school, you pass and get your CDL... And then you head to your first employer, more than likely it will be a driver mill like Swift, as outfits like that are about the only ones hiring, where you will team with someone for a few months.

Then, if you make it through that scene, then you get your own truck or stay teaming. And from your time line, that looks like it will be in late spring before you are sprung to go solo.

As far as safety, from the one gal I had working for me it was kinda tough at times for her. Allot of verbal harassment when she pulled into the truck stops via the CB. She was not bad looking and attracted that kind of attention. Depending on the area, she sometimes never got out of the truck. She carried her own food, as I had fridges, microwaves and Tri-Pak auxiliary power units on all of my trucks. For potty breaks, she started with a coffee can and zip-lock bags until she made it into a sporting goods store and bought a camping toilet.

When you make it through school and get with your company, you will be teamed with someone who will hopefully tell you the skinny out here and keep you out of harms way. I won't kid you, this is not a good time to get into this racket, allot of drivers and just general public out of work. I remember when it was nothing for a driver to be shot on a fuel island, and sadly I see those days coming back. I wish I had something better to tell you, but that is what I was seeing out here in "some" areas before I sold my equipment and got out of this racket.

Good luck!

Orangetxguy 10-25-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie7680 (Post 466295)
Hello!

I am in need of some advice and words of wisdom. I am starting trucking school on Tuesday and expect to be working by Thanksgiving or the first of December at the latest. This a big career change for me. My career background has been mainly in the corporate world(I have a degree in human resources along with holding a series 7, series 63, property and casualty insurance license, and a life accident and health insurance license) but when I lost my job back in April, I decided I wanted to do something for me. I tried working with Aflac for a couple of months but had to give it up due to the fact that it was 100% commission and there was nothing coming in. I hit on the idea of truck driving through a friend and went on several runs with him (including going over the road) to see what it would be like.

As I said before, I start school on Tuesday. To say I am not nervous would be a lie. I'm trying not to look at the big picture because it frightens me. But I do have questions about being a female and being in this industry. By biggest concern is exactly how safe is it for a woman to drive alone? I know the cab is your home on wheels and it's not being in the cab alone that scares me. It's the idea of being at a truck stop for the night and having to get up and go to the bathroom but possibly being park so far away. I have traveled alone many times but it's been in my car and I wasn't required by the DOT to stop at after a certain period of time. I'm not sure that I want to team with someone as I like being able to do my own thing.

Like I said, words of wisdom and encouragement and advice are more than welcome. :)

It is just as safe out here for a woman as it is for a man. In general, a woman is going to be offered much more help than a man is, when it comes to sliding axles and fifth wheels, load adjusting, and most everything in between. LadyNorthStar, Shykatt, Wildkat, Jewels, Dobry4U, Sabine, and the others, are all in a better position to advise you on most things, as far as being a "Woman"-driver in this industry.

You can not foretell what the "Crazies" are going to do. So you have to figure that they could get you at home just as easily as on the road.

I seldom see any woman, let alone a fellow driver, being harrassed in truck stops. If some Bozo is on the CB...the easiest cure for him is to turn it off.

annie7680 10-26-2009 03:19 AM

Orange, thank you for the the morale boost. I appreciate it.

Justtruckin': I know there may be some truth to your words but I need encouragement; not to be scared off. I appreciate the run down on how I will probably be teamed up with someone before going solo However, I don't need to know about the possibility of getting shot while fueling up.:)

BigWheels 10-26-2009 11:16 AM

As you say: "This (will be) a big career change for me." It will be! If you're serious about this (and it certainly appears that you are) don't think twice about changing your mind until you've 9-12 months down the road. By then you will have figured out what you like and don't like about being an OTR driver (of course some of us veterans are still trying to figure that out...grin).

Prepare yourself as best as you can to 1) think of yourself on a perpetual camping trip--while the scenery will be great, living in a "box" will get challenging at times. 2) handle being alone a lot (especially when you're solo)--keep you mind occupied (radio, books-on-tape, reading, praying, etc.). 3) deal with a few complete imbeciles at various shippers/receivers/truckstops/your company--be polite, patient, and professional even when you feel like going "postal" at the offending individual.

I'm sure others will continue to offer advice. Listen/learn from all of it.

I too went from the corporate world to driving a truck (I had done it many years before so it wasn't as big of a change as it will be for you). I was national for 6-months, then regional for 1-year, and then local for the past 4+ years (As much as I enjoyed being on the open road, my family and I suffered from me not being home every night).

So, have a blast at trucking school and may you get a great team driver(s) as you begin your driving career.

Keep us all posted....

Sabine 10-26-2009 10:30 PM

Wow, I made it to being a "role model", thank you orange:thumbsup:

In all seriousness. Go in there, be open to learning what they are trying to teach you, no matter how stupid or insignificant it may seem to you at the time. There is a reason for most of it.

When I went through school, about 9 years ago, my lovely fellow students (who were all men btw) had a bet going about me not passing, I was the only woman in a class of about 25. Not only did I pass, I am still driving today.

Bring a thick skin with you. There are still jerks out there like the ones I went to school with. Hopefully you won't see any of that, just be prepared. Remember, you can do this job as well as the next guy, and who care what they think anyhow.

It was a total culture shock for me too. I had NO clue what I was getting into. But I love a challenge. It is not as hard as you may think, it will take time to master a lot of it. The school prepares you to get your license, you don't really learn to drive until you get out there with your trainer. I don't mean to say that you won't know a thing, but it's different to drive around while training versus living it. You will learn more in the month or so with a trainer than the month of school you are going through.

Take each day as it comes, smile, and most of all have fun with it.

Sabine 10-26-2009 10:38 PM

Back to some of your concerns. Trucking is as safe as you make it. There are places I will not park at, because they make the hairs in the back of my neck stand up. No reason, just my gut telling me. Listen to yours.

You will learn where to park, where to stop after a while. I went into NYC for a couple of years weekly. Half the grown men on this board cry and run away when you mention NY. It wasn't bad. I felt safer there, than most places in the SE or especially in Detroit. Again, you will learn as you go.

Use common sense, listen to your inner voice and you will be fine.

Get a porta pot. Best investment you can make. I don't get up at 3 am and walk into the truck stop. I'm not crazy!

As far as the teaming thing. Make sure you pick your company wisely. Some will make you team. Like CRST and CR England.

You will be in the truck with a trainer, you won't have a choice on that, but if you want to be in your own truck, do your research so you are not stuck with the codriver from hell while you work out your commitment.

I wish you good luck. Remember to hold your head high, back straight and I swear you will be fine.

JewelsnTools 10-26-2009 11:01 PM

After a little over 2.5 yrs of doing this "dance", I can tell you the change will be shocking! But, you know, you'll discover a renewed strength of conviction and a sense of mastery from learning to maneuver something this huge that it'll all be worth it, after a while!

You'll discover that YOU have to be willing to stand firm--and accept whatever comes--on your own decisions, in this industry. But, heck, if you've worked in HR, you're already ready for that part! Let me assure you, many of the personal interaction skills you already have will become hugely valuable, now. But they'll definitely be added to!

As the other posters mention, common sense goes a long way, out here---and those sticky-uppy hairs were put on your neck for a reason. Has your "gut instinct" EVER misled you? Trust her.

The most important part is that you've got sense enough to know that there is MUCH TO LEARN. You're proving that you have a teachable spirit just by posting here. Excellent. You'll do well.

And don't be afraid to accept help from the decent men and women who've been where you're trying to go..

Last thing--that truck doesn't care what the gender of its driver is. It will respond like a well-trained horse to a firm, directive hand. No matter what ANY of the "bozos" out there say, they aren't the ones who were with you on the nights you cry from sheer frustration, wondering if it's really worth it. And none of them will get to steal the MAGIC that happens when things start to "fall in place" for you, behind that wheel. So, hold your head high, practice your backing skills, and accept that you have chosen to become greater than you ever knew. (Right now, that probably will sound a bit "hokey." But you just wait--you'll see what I meant, one day!)

Good Luck, Driver!
(I got goosebumps the first time someone called me that! Sometimes, I still do!)

Jewels

Justruckin 10-27-2009 01:54 AM

Why has no one mentioned pay? How about you all breaking that one down. And not to be a puss here, just asking.

Sabine 10-27-2009 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justruckin (Post 466411)
Why has no one mentioned pay? How about you all breaking that one down. And not to be a puss here, just asking.

She didn't ask. This is not about pay, but about being a woman in this industry.

annie7680 10-27-2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justruckin (Post 466411)

I have been on unemployment for 6 and half months and prior to that I worked as a financial consultant making less than $24,000 a year at 60 hours a week (if you do the math, it equals out to about minimum wage). At this rate, $.30 a mile after 2000 miles adds up. I'm not worried about the pay because it's bound to be better than what I was getting.

Also, thanks for all the advice and encouragement everyone. I start school today so I will post and let you all know how it's going. :)

geeshock 10-27-2009 10:50 AM

from some female friends I know this is what I can tell. As a female you need to take some extra precautions. Once you go solo, park as close to the store, restaurant as posable. This might involve some planning as you will wanna get to the truckstop a little early to make this happen. Porta potty is your best friend. In the middle of the night it beats walking a long distance to the restroom and much safer. If you drive through the night, I've known my female friends to park close to the entrance of the rest area so they could run in and out of it fast. I'm prety quick myself so to I can usaully do that or pull into the fuel island but thats me, lol. you'll probably have a hammer onhand anyways so keep it where you can quickly access it should someone try to get in and it wouldn't be a bad idea if the company you go with allows it to bring a dog along. One of my friends has a pet german shepard, he's actualy a big baby but they don't know that. All they see is that big dog, even a small dog will keep most away. BOL, it's not to bad out there but just like your male counterparts, you need to take precations. I'd love to say all truckers look out for each other, most actually do, but you have a few bad apples out there as well.

geeshock 10-27-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie7680 (Post 466441)
I have been on unemployment for 6 and half months and prior to that I worked as a financial consultant making less than $24,000 a year at 60 hours a week (if you do the math, it equals out to about minimum wage). At this rate, $.30 a mile after 2000 miles adds up. I'm not worried about the pay because it's bound to be better than what I was getting.

Also, thanks for all the advice and encouragement everyone. I start school today so I will post and let you all know how it's going. :)

amen to that, some pay is better than none and as you progress you'll be in a better position to dictate pay.

on a side note, jewles mentioned how she got goosebumpes being called driver, even though I don't get goosebumps ( unless I'm to damned cold) I do get a sense of pride, even 3 years later when I get called that. Once you go solo, I think you will to.

BanditsCousin 10-30-2009 09:43 AM

I'd say stay off the CB. Going down the road is fine, but in the truckstop especially. Don't be afraid to go to the fuel island when you're ready to park for the night and go in to brush your teeth or use the facilities, but be respectful and make it snappy.

Once you get on the big road with a trainer, there's a good chance it will be a female, and she can give you some pointers along the way. It really isn't a dangerous profession for a female, and I think you'll be over your nervousness in no time.

annie7680 10-30-2009 10:34 PM

Thanks for all the encouragement you guys. I so appreciate it. I'll be finishing my first week of school tomorrow. Aside from the cold I came down with it, it's going good. I got my CDL permit today, which was daunting. I did ok with the General knowledge portion and I knocked out a homerun with the air brakes test but i had to take the combination vehicle test a coupld times. At any rate, I passed and now it's on to the next step. :)

Also I have another questions. Has anyone heard of TMC? If so, what do you think of them as a company?

geeshock 10-31-2009 12:12 AM

yes, from what I understand they are a good company but they can be very tough at the same time. From what I can gather trucks have to stay imaculate, trailers also. realy clean cut, sorta similar to the military in many respects.

Sabine 10-31-2009 02:02 PM

I would think long and hard before I would go pull a flatbed as a woman. I have done it with a co-driver, but in all honesty, I couldn't do it by myself. In one word.....TARPS....I am not weak, but having to carry a 100 lbs tarp up a ladder to put it on top of my load, not only no, but he!! no.

Especially at TMC where just about everything has to be tarped. It is one thing to haul things like generators, heavy equipment or the like, where all you have to do is chain it down, but having to worry about tarping every day is a big no-no for me.

Starting in winter is going to be rough anyhow, but having to worry about load securement too is a lot.

When you go down the highway next time, look at the trucks pulling the open trailers, and the freight they carry. You have to both secure and often cover it. Are you prepared for doing that?

Last but not least, personally I would not go to TMC, because how your truck looks seems to be more important to them than anything else.

bigtruckman 10-31-2009 09:16 PM

you'll learn to start cursing and smoking like a sailor in no time; also you'll learn to do the buffet shuffle after a few trips to buffet table you will fit right in with the rest of the buffet bandits

Justruckin 11-01-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie7680 (Post 466566)
Thanks for all the encouragement you guys. I so appreciate it. I'll be finishing my first week of school tomorrow. Aside from the cold I came down with it, it's going good. I got my CDL permit today, which was daunting. I did ok with the General knowledge portion and I knocked out a homerun with the air brakes test but i had to take the combination vehicle test a coupld times. At any rate, I passed and now it's on to the next step. :)

Also I have another questions. Has anyone heard of TMC? If so, what do you think of them as a company?

TMC? Like someone else said, hell no. I used to flatbed and I will tell you right now it is not a job for a woman, or most men, especially a green horn in the winter. You will need to be able to chuck around 100 + lb tarps along with chains while climbing and walking on icy surfaces, and then we have the winter winds. And this winter is going to take the cake weather wise, I saw the squirrels in my front yard out trying to hitch a ride to Florida the other day.

See if you can find an outfit that does vans or reefers to cut your teeth on. You will find that challenging enough, without having to worry about a 45,000 lb coil loaded suicide while traveling on a two hundred mile stretch of icy road. And yes, you will have to be able to drive in those conditions as you cannot hide in a truck stop all winter long.

golfhobo 11-01-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/i...s/viewpost.gif

She didn't ask. This is not about pay, but about being a woman in this industry.
Also.... if I'm not mistaken, this is probably one of the ONLY industries where women pretty much make EQUAL pay to men. I know you were only mentioning the lousy pay in general, but for a woman, this business holds a certain "fairness" if you follow me.

Justruckin 11-02-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfhobo (Post 466665)
Also.... if I'm not mistaken, this is probably one of the ONLY industries where women pretty much make EQUAL pay to men. I know you were only mentioning the lousy pay in general, but for a woman, this business holds a certain "fairness" if you follow me.

So true, everyone gets the chance to go broke equally while living in 4 star accommodations.

And not saying that people cannot make money out here, I used to, and did quite well for quite a few years. But, that all stopped over a year ago, will it come back? Not that I can tell in the foreseeable future. And knowing what these companies are actually paying these new guys, which is less than what I started at twenty years ago, I could not recommend this occupation to anyone. The thought of trying to make it on a couple hundred of dollars a week, or less, is not my cup of tea.

annie7680 11-02-2009 11:46 PM

JustTruckin...I'm gettin to the point where I don't like you. I'm making a major change in my life and I'm looking for encouragement. You have had very little encouragement. I don't if you have something against women in trucking or if you're jaded by the industry in general, but I'm going to kindly ask once to stop with the negativity or just butt out altogether.

freebirdrfd 11-03-2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie7680 (Post 466730)
JustTruckin...I'm gettin to the point where I don't like you. I'm making a major change in my life and I'm looking for encouragement. You have had very little encouragement. I don't if you have something against women in trucking or if you're jaded by the industry in general, but I'm going to kindly ask once to stop with the negativity or just butt out altogether.

did i miss something or does somebody just have a bad attitude?????????? MAYBE he was sending her nasty P.M.'s.... she would rather have "encouragement" instead of the truth??? i'm so confused....... from what i just seen, somebody ain't gonna last long in trucking. :bigangry:

annie7680 11-03-2009 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebirdrfd (Post 466732)
did i miss something or does somebody just have a bad attitude?????????? MAYBE he was sending her nasty P.M.'s.... she would rather have "encouragement" instead of the truth??? i'm so confused....... from what i just seen, somebody ain't gonna last long in trucking. :bigangry:

I never once said he was lying. I said he was being completely negative. There is a difference. For example, when I was in college I worked at an amusement park in the summers. Now if someone asked me what it was like I could do one of two things: A) I could say that it is extremely physical work and you have to deal with whining and stupid people for 12 hours a day at minimum wage but it was fun at times or B) I could say it's not an easy job to do. You are out in the weather and the people can be trying and the pay is on the low side; however, it was also a lot fun and there were a lot of perks involved (such as having some of the world's best rollercoasters in your backyard) and you get to meet a lot fo different people.

Both scenarios are the truth but I think people who wanted to work at an amusement park for the summer would be more encouraged by hearing something like statement B.

In short, I realize that there are pros and cons to trucking. I get that I'm going to gone and that I will have to travel in the winter with ice and snow. I get it that the work is hard. I get it that I am going to be away from loved ones for weeks at a time. I get all the cons of the job. I want to hear some pros. I don't think I have asked for too much and I think that you are making an unfair assumption of someone you don't even know.

Flatbed 11-03-2009 12:58 AM

Another poster said that flatbedding isn't for women, I couldn't disagree more!

Some of the best drivers I have ever known, and flatbedders, have been women.

Yes, you will have to deal with tarps. 99% of the places you load put the tarps on top of the load for you if it needs to be covered. Then you just hop up top, spread things out, tie it down and off you go. I don't get why so many of these guys out here think tarping is such a big deal, really. Once you figure out how to do it and learn what works for you it is easy. I can have a load of lumber tarped and ready to go in less than a half hour, coils in 15 to 20 minutes... including securing everything. If the wind is blowing it can be a challenge... you'll learn how to position your truck to take advantage of the wind instead of fighting it. If there are other trucks around that are tarping, they will offer to help almost every time, provided you give them a hand also. If you need help and nobody offers, just ask, I have never once been told no in 8+ years of pulling a flatbed.

If you aren't afraid to get dirty and enjoy some physical exertion then flatbedding is a great place to be. Dealing with straps, tarps, chains, dunnage, etc... is a great way to stay in shape. The best part about pulling a flatbed... no grocery warehouses. No pulling into the lot for an 8am appointment and being one of 30 trucks waiting for a dock. No sitting there waiting, and waiting, then waiting more while your 14 hour clock ticks away to nothing. No dealing with shippers and receivers with nasty attitudes who couldn't care less if you get unloaded or sit all day. The customers who load and unload flatbeds are almost always happy to see you and get you in and out as fast as they possibly can. The only exception I've found to this is the pipe yards around Houston... be prepared to wait awhile if you end up there. The customers often help when you roll up your tarps and are pulling off straps/chains.

Yes, January in North Dakota while unloading pipe or a pumping unit, 40 below zero with a 30 mile an hour wind does suck. You learn to dress for the weather and if you need to climb in the truck to warm up for a few minutes nobody complains... more than likely they will offer you a cup of coffee and keep right on loading or unloading you.

So what if you have a coil loaded suicide on an icy road. Secure it according to the guidelines and then add an extra chain or two, you could put the trailer on a rotissere and it won't budge.

Good luck with whatever you do, so far you have shown a good attitude and a willingness to learn and that will take you far.

freebirdrfd 11-03-2009 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie7680 (Post 466736)
I never once said he was lying. I said he was being completely negative. There is a difference. For example, when I was in college I worked at an amusement park in the summers. Now if someone asked me what it was like I could do one of two things: A) I could say that it is extremely physical work and you have to deal with whining and stupid people for 12 hours a day at minimum wage but it was fun at times or B) I could say it's not an easy job to do. You are out in the weather and the people can be trying and the pay is on the low side; however, it was also a lot fun and there were a lot of perks involved (such as having some of the world's best rollercoasters in your backyard) and you get to meet a lot fo different people.

Both scenarios are the truth but I think people who wanted to work at an amusement park for the summer would be more encouraged by hearing something like statement B.

In short, I realize that there are pros and cons to trucking. I get that I'm going to gone and that I will have to travel in the winter with ice and snow. I get it that the work is hard. I get it that I am going to be away from loved ones for weeks at a time. I get all the cons of the job. I want to hear some pros. I don't think I have asked for too much and I think that you are making an unfair assumption of someone you don't even know.

I think he was just letting you know the stuff that schools and recruters don't tell ya. BUT i could be wrong, what do i know. either way good luck with your new career. :thumbsup:

dobry4u 11-03-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie7680 (Post 466736)

I believe you were asking for opinions. And that is what was presented to you. You want the pro's ... ok... you get a paycheck, pump your own fuel, see parts of the country, and meet a lot of people.

Let's say it is a lot like an amusement park!!! ;)

Best of luck in your new adventure!!

Justruckin 11-03-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Annie, please except my apology for not being "encouraging". I have gone through this with friends and family who saw what I was doing and "jumped" right in. They had no idea what they were getting into, or ever asked the pro and cons of what to expect. Nor did they ever give any serious thought to at least ask how I got to where I was and the sacrifices involved.

At our height we had five trucks and a mix of vans and conestoga flat beds along with employing 6 people. It was fun, and we made some very good money out here when things were good. Now, we are just happy that we got out when we did without losing everything like many of my friends have that work in this industry.

This is not an amusement park job, though as someone said it sure can seem that way at times. And don't get me wrong, I had a ball out here, saw things that I never would have seen and met many very nice people. But in the current economic situation this country is in now, and seeing so many states push truck driving as a way out...

How to say this? I see all of these new guys and gals jumping into an industry that they know little about, at the worst possible time in this industries history. The rates are way down, credit is drying up, and there are so many desperate people out here wanting work, that it is actually driving wages down. And here we are coming into the winter months, which from the figures that I have looked at is going to be long and hard with little freight which means little pay.

If I was going to get back into trucking, it would be on the truck driving school side, as that seems to be where the money is at.

Annie, I truly do wish you all of the best and please be safe out here as these are very interesting times. And when you do get that first job, hang with that company for at least a year, no matter how bad it gets. You get that year under your belt, you will find more opportunities out here. After your third year, you will find many doors opening up for you, it is just making it to that third year that can be difficult.

And when you are out here, watch how the freight moves, what areas to avoid or stay in. If you get a load to Maine, you will probably find that even as a driver that you will lose money out of your pocket on that run. Watch the freight lanes and talk to other drivers about where the freight is. You are going to need to be sharp and on your toes even as a company driver. And try to forge a good relationship with your dispatcher, as he or she is the one in charge of your purse strings. They can make or break a driver in the blink of an eye.

All the best!

geeshock 11-03-2009 03:23 PM

LOL, you gotta remember to take what is bad on here and the good. I tend to wake up in a good mood, even come across all chipper on the radio. Always a sourpuss out there to grumble and growl about me being so positive. Probably already know this part

good as I see it,

get to see many parts of the country, get to take part in one of the most important jobs in the country, get to blow the big horn bringing a smile to kids, pay is better than many other jobs I've done, flexability in my hours, driving something that few ppl would ever think they can drive.

cons

dispatchers trying to squeeze in that one extra load even though they know it's going to haver to be run past your HOS, city traffic mostly 4 weelers but you have some idiots for truck drivers as well, chaining, driving in snow period, the northeast (no offense ne guys/gals, I just detest being up there :) ), breakdowns, long and iregular hours at times.

these are some of the pro's and con's as I see them but they will differ from one driver to the next, and from company to company. I still enjoy the job even with the con's.

GMAN 11-04-2009 02:12 AM

This is one business where you can enjoy an above average income and you can see the country without having someone looking over your shoulder all day. I have seen some pretty amazing things over the years. There are drawbacks as with any profession. If you plan on pulling a flat bed expect to be out in all sorts of weather. Pulling tarps around can be physically challenging. I don't see many women pulling skateboards (flats), but there are some around. Other than the physical aspects of pulling a flat, there isn't much difference in pulling other types of freight. People are more apt to be glad to see you when you pull a flat than a van. It is pretty much what you make of it. The time of year and economy will likely have you doing more sitting than usual. Vans tend to have more freight this time of year, but rates are generally better with flats. Many of the flat bed carriers use smaller sleepers that are either flat tops or mid roofs, whereas the van carriers tend to use more condo's and larger sleepers.

Windwalker 11-06-2009 01:37 AM

Quote:

It's the idea of being at a truck stop for the night and having to get up and go to the bathroom but possibly being park so far away. I have traveled alone many times but it's been in my car and I wasn't required by the DOT to stop at after a certain period of time.

First of all, think about the amount of "MASS" you will be having in motion. The DOT requirements to stop after 11 hours of driving, or 14 hours of working are a valid safety issue. The potential for property damage, injury, and death are multiplied more than 25 times greater than when you were in your car. Fatigue has been at the bottom of far too many drivers getting into accidents. It's a requirement that you will have to adjust to. You'll also find that, unlike in your car, that truck will not instantly accellorate to a higher speed to get you past the rolling road-block in front of you. You get to accept the fact that so many drivers of cars are UN-INFORMED about what is safe to do around a truck, and will have to put up with them.

As to using the bathroom, I know a few women that are in this industry, that are going to Wal-Mart, getting a "Port-a-potty", and not worrying about what time of the night they have to make a trip in to the lady's room. Then, in broad daylight, they are able to dispose of the contents properly, and start refilling it all over again. They really don't worry about what area of the parking lot they have to back into. They simply lock their doors and go to sleep. No problem.

annie7680 11-22-2009 02:56 PM

Oh my word. I am so sorry I have been MIA recently. I have been so busy with school that by the time I get home at night, I have enough energy to throw supper together, watch Jeopardy and go to bed. LOL Firstly, thanks for all the great advice. I do feel much better about being a woman on the road. Secondly, school is going great. I'll be taking my state test tomorrow and I'm pretty confident that I will pass. :lol: But now I face another problem, but this on is a good a problem :) I have been pre-hired by two companies, Werner and Covenant. If anyone can provide some insight as to which may be the better company, that would be great. Both have a lot of the perks I'm looking for (a rider program, pet program, etc.) but I can't go on perks alone. :)

Thanks again :)

geeshock 11-22-2009 03:38 PM

I'd say covonant if for no other reason than you'll get the hang of doing logs, since werner doesn't do paper logs, they usualy go through a transition when swiching companies. Once you get the papper logs under your belt prety well, knock yourself out.

Fancy_Maneuvers 11-26-2009 01:41 PM

Annie,

It seems you are making it successfully through school, and I wish you the best of luck!

Everyone has offered you some very good advice, and there is not much I can add to it.. but these are some of the things I did safety wise:

Used a truck stop book until I could learn where the safe parking places were

Kept the curtains to the bunk closed.

When people asked if I drive solo, I would tell them "No" unless it was official business - like DOT asking if I had a codriver...

Before I parked at night, I would stop at the fuel island to use the bathroom before I purchased a portable toilet. Of course, this took up more room in the truck than I wanted it to...

I often took a shower at one truck stop and parked at another.

I would run the seat belt through the passenger door and then raise the steering wheel so any possible
intruders would struggle to get into that seat. Truck drivers cannot carry weapons like guns, but there are alternatives. Some people carry dogs, bats... I even know people who have water guns that they fill with chemical solutions.. I know people who have guns that shoot rubber bullets, small knives... One of my male friends, who is also a driver - most of my friends now are drivers, originally advised me to choose alternate weapons that I could use if a possible attacker was not close to me. As a woman, I would not want to wait until the attacker was in my personal space... With all of that said, I have only had maybe two suspicious encounters in my five and half years on the road... As the others have stated, intuition, gut feelings, and common sense go a long way.

I closed my curtains over the windshield while the lights were still off; some people do not close the curtains over the windshild in case they have to drive off in a hurry.

If I can think of anything else that might be beneficial to you, I will be back :)

geargrinder 11-27-2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Hello!

But I do have questions about being a female and being in this industry. By biggest concern is exactly how safe is it for a woman to drive alone? I know the cab is your home on wheels and it's not being in the cab alone that scares me. It's the idea of being at a truck stop for the night and having to get up and go to the bathroom but possibly being park so far away. I have traveled alone many times but it's been in my car and I wasn't required by the DOT to stop at after a certain period of time. I'm not sure that I want to team with someone as I like being able to do my own thing.

Carry a big flashlight, and a can of mace (don't think you can bring mace into canada), and park in well lit areas. Don't be friendly or flirty. If you ask one of these knuckleheads for any kind of help they will take it as a proposition. As best you can, time your day to end early enough to get a parking spot in a well lit, high traffic area. Rest areas are well patrolled and a real safe haven.

Just keep your wits about you and you will be fine. The main personal safety obstacle is when you are moving.

Best of luck.

Fredog 11-27-2009 02:12 PM

A can of wasp spray is a great weapon, and legal everywhere, it sprays about 30 feet and leaves a thick foam on the attackers face

LightsChromeHorsepower 11-27-2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatbed (Post 466737)
Another poster said that flatbedding isn't for women, I couldn't disagree more!

Some of the best drivers I have ever known, and flatbedders, have been women.

Yes, you will have to deal with tarps. 99% of the places you load put the tarps on top of the load for you if it needs to be covered. Then you just hop up top, spread things out, tie it down and off you go. I don't get why so many of these guys out here think tarping is such a big deal, really. Once you figure out how to do it and learn what works for you it is easy. I can have a load of lumber tarped and ready to go in less than a half hour, coils in 15 to 20 minutes... including securing everything. If the wind is blowing it can be a challenge... you'll learn how to position your truck to take advantage of the wind instead of fighting it. If there are other trucks around that are tarping, they will offer to help almost every time, provided you give them a hand also. If you need help and nobody offers, just ask, I have never once been told no in 8+ years of pulling a flatbed.

If you aren't afraid to get dirty and enjoy some physical exertion then flatbedding is a great place to be. Dealing with straps, tarps, chains, dunnage, etc... is a great way to stay in shape. The best part about pulling a flatbed... no grocery warehouses. No pulling into the lot for an 8am appointment and being one of 30 trucks waiting for a dock. No sitting there waiting, and waiting, then waiting more while your 14 hour clock ticks away to nothing. No dealing with shippers and receivers with nasty attitudes who couldn't care less if you get unloaded or sit all day. The customers who load and unload flatbeds are almost always happy to see you and get you in and out as fast as they possibly can. The only exception I've found to this is the pipe yards around Houston... be prepared to wait awhile if you end up there. The customers often help when you roll up your tarps and are pulling off straps/chains.

Yes, January in North Dakota while unloading pipe or a pumping unit, 40 below zero with a 30 mile an hour wind does suck. You learn to dress for the weather and if you need to climb in the truck to warm up for a few minutes nobody complains... more than likely they will offer you a cup of coffee and keep right on loading or unloading you.

So what if you have a coil loaded suicide on an icy road. Secure it according to the guidelines and then add an extra chain or two, you could put the trailer on a rotissere and it won't budge.

Good luck with whatever you do, so far you have shown a good attitude and a willingness to learn and that will take you far.

Amen - well said. I know women can flatbed because I've seen them do it. Hell, they can probably do some of it better than I can.

I say, go for it girl! Follow your dreams, even if they lead you to challenges.

I also say that the trucking industry can only benefit from having more women drivers. It would surely improve the level of discourse at almost any venue where drivers congregate.

I also think as a new driver you will learn which places to stop are "safe" or at least safer than others. For example, in Cali, be extra careful at either TA in Ontario, but you could probably relax at the Petro at Wheeler Ridge.

dieselgrl 11-28-2009 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 468796)
A can of wasp spray is a great weapon, and legal everywhere, it sprays about 30 feet and leaves a thick foam on the attackers face

So is a fire extinguisher. :thumbsup:

Shawnee 11-30-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

I think he was just telling you exctly how it is, I would tell you the same thing, it sounds like you want to hear everything sugar-coated and want to hear everyone tell you "you go girl" and only want to hear the good things. I have seen my share of starry eyed newbies who think this is a dream job and they all had thoughts of making big bucks, maybe after many years you might make good money as a company driver, but not right away. And with so many people being out of work they think that getting into trucking is going to be the answer, I bet half of them don't last a year, not saying it to be mean, that is the case from what I have seen. You seem to only want to hear the good things, maybe you should consider the bad as well, encouragment is not going to prepare you for what it is really like in this industry right now

I have been in this industry my entire life, it is the only job I have ever done, I have owned trucks for a decade, the idustry is not what it used to be, the money is not like it was 10 years ago. Rates are down and all the undercutting going on is killing business for me, Not tellling you you shouldn't try it either, but right now companies are bombarded with applications from newbies from the corporate world trying to get work.

Shawnee 11-30-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabine (Post 466589)
I would think long and hard before I would go pull a flatbed as a woman. I have done it with a co-driver, but in all honesty, I couldn't do it by myself. In one word.....TARPS....I am not weak, but having to carry a 100 lbs tarp up a ladder to put it on top of my load, not only no, but he!! no.

Especially at TMC where just about everything has to be tarped. It is one thing to haul things like generators, heavy equipment or the like, where all you have to do is chain it down, but having to worry about tarping every day is a big no-no for me.

Starting in winter is going to be rough anyhow, but having to worry about load securement too is a lot.

When you go down the highway next time, look at the trucks pulling the open trailers, and the freight they carry. You have to both secure and often cover it. Are you prepared for doing that?

Last but not least, personally I would not go to TMC, because how your truck looks seems to be more important to them than anything else.

I am a woman and I have done flatbed work, it is not always easy. I have done hard physical work my entire life and I am stronger than the average woman as well which helps, (I'm 5'8 and am very muscular and have no problem lifting 100 lbs) I live in Canada as well so I always had to deal with extremly cold weather, snow, wind, it is not easy to tarp a load when the tarps are frozen. Nothing like being out in Winnipeg when it is -40 and windy as hell trying to chain down a load.

I hauled steel for a while when I lived in southern Ontario, and those coils can be tricky, all it takes is to slam on the brakes for one to come loose and fall off.

I would not recomend it for most women, especially ones who are new to the industry and have only worked in an office mosto f their lives, not saying that women couldn't or shouldn't do it, but you better know what you are getting into.