User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default automatic transmissions

okay, I am wondering as I read my training book they mention an automatic transmission being used in trucks...okay, not to sound too clueless here,but what type of truck are they talking about? I know cement trucks have them but what else? why arent they more common? the shifting is one of the things Iam most concerned with. anyone with any info on this I would really appreciate your help.
thanks sincerly,
kate
Old 07-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Rookie

I have drivern Mack twin stick duplex (10sp) and triplex (15sp), 5 sp Maxidynes, 9, 10, 13 Sp fullers.

I drove for USX with Autohift transmissions.

There is not one gear jammer who can shift perfectly each and every time.

Once you get used to autoshift, you will like it. At the end of the day you are not worn out. Down grades and panic stops are where the autoshift is far superior to stick shift. down grades, just push the "L" button and let the jakes take over. The transmission automatically downshifts and NEVER MISSES A SHIFT. Tap the brakes every so often and ride with BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL.

Panic stops - hit the "L" button, mash brake, you have both hands on the wheel for control, you are not looking at rpm's to know when to shift, trying to grab gears, autoshift's don't miss a gear and you get stopped.

Saved my life a couple of times. Coming down the Gorge and a 6 wheeler in front of me lost control and went into guard rail. I am glad I had both hands available for control one more inch to the right and I would have gone over - white knuckled w/two hands on the wheel saved me plus autoshift downshiftying I got stopped.

Sitting in traffic, not having to hold a clutch in, left gets tired starts shaking, is a breeze no matter how long the back up.

Another thing, you get better fuel milage with autoshift - Proven fact.

Don't knock autoshifts until you try one. USX, Indust Distrib,- all autoshift, (there are others) Schneider going 1/3 of fleet to start.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Senior Board Member

I've driven stick for the past few years, and also worked for Total Transportation with a Volvo/Freightliner autoshift combination. I *hated* the autoshift myself. It's true that even the best gearjammer will not hit every shift perfect - nor did my autoshift when things were not working 100% correctly.

I've found that the camp seems to be on one side or the other - you'll either love an autoshift, or hate them. Granted, sometimes (LA rush hour comes immediately to mind) I wish I had an autoshift....most times, I'm happier with my Eaton Fuller 10spd stick.

My one word of suggestion though is to learn a stick first, and then if you like, go to a company with autoshifts. This will keep all your options open for companies to work for. Granted there are more autoshift fleets now than there ever were, but they are still in the minority. Learn to shift first, then embrace the ease of just putting the truck in drive :wink:
Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Board Regular

I agree with Tn, learn to drive a stick. It's a valuable asset to have for driving. Helps you to understand how gears work and how to use them depending on the grades and conditions of the roads. Automatics are great, I've used them. They do make it much easier climbing the moutain passes and down the other side, no matter how heavy the load. Many companies are now changing to automatics. They find them more cost effective.[/b]
Old 07-31-2007, 12:11 AM

Definitely learn on a stick. Afterwards if you get an AutoShift you'll likely never want to go back to the stick but could if you had to since most companies still run manuals.

Hi mom
Old 07-31-2007, 02:31 AM

thanks guys, really , for taking the time to answer my question I have to think this all over as being on the road for days at a time is something I have never done outside of travel on vacations. I love all the information on this site and the generally friendly environment here. plus, its cool to see so many other women driving trucks! I saw very few of them though when I worked in a receiving dock...as to the automatics in trucks..it seems that you still shift a bit even with the auto? you don't just put it in drive and go?..

again, thanks to all of you for replying!
Old 07-31-2007, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member

lady ... I watched people / ladies in school which had never even been inside of a rig before, nor ever drive a stick in a 4wheeler ... they learned it real fast and turned out to be some of the better students in class. So don't let it stress you out ... that's what your teachers are there for ... they walk you through the process of learning. Actually once you learned it - you'll enjoy it. :lol: :lol: I find when I drive my car, my right hand is searching for the stick ... which I don't have in my car :lol: ....

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 07-31-2007, 02:43 AM

okay, maybe this is one of those things I just need to do as a confidence builder...its funny, when I got the job in the warehouse,I had to learn how to drive the yardtractor which is basically an automatic...BUT...I never thought I would be able to back up a 53 foot trailer..and I did it!..it still amazes me and I have been out of there for almost 6 months...
Old 07-31-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladykatrina
thanks guys, really , for taking the time to answer my question I have to think this all over as being on the road for days at a time is something I have never done outside of travel on vacations. I love all the information on this site and the generally friendly environment here. plus, its cool to see so many other women driving trucks! I saw very few of them though when I worked in a receiving dock...as to the automatics in trucks..it seems that you still shift a bit even with the auto? you don't just put it in drive and go?..

again, thanks to all of you for replying!
Autos come in two varieties at the moment - clutch pedal and non-clutch pedal.

Clutch pedal style trannies still require you to use the clutch when starting out from a standstill or going into reverse. Afterwards the shifting is goes automatically. I prefer the clutch style auto for the finesse it provides when backing, especially into dark, covered docks.

Non-clutch pedal just has brake and fuel pedals like a car. Made backing under trailers and into docks a bit trickier since it often required using the brake simultaneously with the fuel to finesse the truck where I wanted it.

Both types have a simple selector switch/or button that you place the tranny into. D for drive, R for reverse. H for hold (for holding a specific gear when going down a grade). The Freightshaker Columbias and Centuries I drove at USX had manual mode shifting as well using the shift paddle on the steering column. Rarely used it though.

Hi mom
Old 08-01-2007, 12:30 AM

so USX is a company that uses automatics? I guess this has to be my next question, what companies are currently using autos? how does this work if you go to a shool? are there schools that teach on autos? sorry about all the questions...but I am getting more and more curiuos about this every day...maybe I can do this after all.