User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 1st year almost up!!

I haven't posted here in almost a year. I got my CDL last January and started with my company February 2006. I've been with them for almost a year. There has been some ups, a few downs, and one of the strangest years of my life. I have realized that some truck drivers can be as bad as sitting in an office with a bunch of 'catty' women.

My first trainer was a female. She was awful. I'd wake up not knowing where I was and alone. She'd be hooked up with her trucker boyfriend somewhere in the parking lot. She screamed, yelled and cussed me out almost every day.
Needless to say, I requested a new trainer after 3 weeks.

LOVED my next trainer. Stayed with him several months. After training, I got put with several other drivers.
None of us hit it off. And after riding with these people, I can see why so many people give up on trucking.
Out of 10 people I've ridden with, 3 of us hit it off. I've rode with men who hit on me and made sexual comments that should have never been said. I've put up with drivers who think I'm "too small & pretty" to be a truck driver and should be home making babies.
I've had to put up with jealousy from other female drivers to the point where one did her best to get me fired (telling lies about me and going as far as stealing from me) because I was made first seat and not her.
Lucky for me, I have no problem standing up for myself and confronted these people in front of human resources.

I hope this isn't typical at all trucking companies. I plan on leaving this company at the first of the year. I've been offered other driving positions and I think I've found a company that will suit my lifestyle better. Plus it pays more. I love driving and will not give up my new career.

On a brighter note, recently when I got in from a run, my personal vehicle broke down. I had to put in a new alternator. I couldn't put enough pressure on it and tighten it down at the same time. Another trucker helped me out. A few minutes after driving, the bolt broke. I was able to pull into a gas station off the highway. I asked a man pumping gas if he could help me. Low and behold, he was a truck driver and had just got in and was going out with his wife. But he graciously helped as much as he could. When time was getting tight, he called his brother to come and help me finish up so he could still make the date with his wife. I will forever be indebted to these wonderful gentlemen who gave of their time to help another driver.

So as my first year as a driver comes to a close, I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and for those women who are thinking of becoming a trucker, if it's what you really want to do, don't let anyone stop you. There are some really bad people in trucking. But there are also some very great people too! :lol:
Get your first year under your belt and the skies the limit after that.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:30 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Excellent post! Congrats for getting through that first year.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:21 AM
Rookie
Default Look into CFI

You might want to look into CFI out of Joplin,MO.

This web site will give you an idea of the caliber of people there.

http://www.cfidrivers.com/phpbb2/index.php

Good luck finding a new company!
Old 12-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Senior Board Member

rodpumas hello :!: ... I work for CFI and your right ... it is a great place to work. It's a hard company to get hired on but if you pass all their request .. you'll be working amoung a group of people who rank high on my list. ....

rumyluvgrl : ... I loved your post :wink: ... you showed the best and the worst and still ..... you realized it's a good job and life style. Keep up the good work. .. Which company will you be going with later?

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 04-16-2007, 02:24 AM
Board Regular

This is a better CFI Website to check out!

http://www.cfitrucking.us
Old 04-16-2007, 03:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Both CFI sites are Good ... they each offer something different. ... so keep both of them in your favorits to check out.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'