User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need help to decide

Hey out there. I'm wondering if truck driving is for me. Anyone willing to share? What do you see as the biggest challenge of being a truck driver and what is you biggest reward?
Thanks! Nancy
Old 10-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Board Regular

The biggest reward is not working with bitchy women. Although, I'm not sure I've made an improvement because now I'm working with horny men. HA!!!

I was an Accountant and have two degrees; hence, I have plenty of opportunity other than driving a truck. People think I'm insane when they see me and realize that I'm a driver. Obviously, I have a few brains cells and am very attractive. Therefore, they expect me to be doing something other than trucking. I've had a blast.

I did driveaway for 19 months out of the 28 months that I've driven. That is the best place in my opinion for anyone who wants to drive but not have the lifestyle. We stayed in motels and flew back after delivering the trucks to dealerships. Unfortunately, you need at least one year of experience before you can get into that.

I was really fortunate because I was a new driver and I was able to do this. It's very unusual. Our company was hauling Volvos at the time. I had only driven freight for 4 months when I got to go to driveaway. The competitor that took over from our company wants at least one year of experience. I didn't go to the competitor because they wanted me to move back east. I live in the Rocky Mountains and wanted to get home more. I was always in Canada since there weren't many Canadian qualified drivers [you can't have any misdemeanors, felonies or owe back child support to get into Canada]. I enjoyed Canada and it's a totally different experience than the freight drivers have.

I've been to Canada both ways and it's a bear getting back in through our Customs with freight. Canadian Customs is very easy. U.S. sucks!!! When you take new trucks you fly back and have to deal with customs at the airports-they were not fun but easier than the trucking customs are!!!

I would suggest that you don't have small children, jealous husband or boyfriend and no other obligations at home if you go trucking. I'm fortunate not to have children or obligations at home [broke up with my boyfriend & divorced my husband years ago]. It is a good lifestyle for someone who is a go getter. You won't find many people who will cuddle you. If you are used to having people take care of you, you won't find it in trucking. Most women I know are not capable of the day to day grind.

Think seriously about what I'm telling you.... You will be places without bathroom facilities, you will break down, have blow outs and have truck problems. Most on-road services I've heard of don't get there real quick. Hence, if you've broken down at night in the middle of no where you can't be expecting some guy to come up and help you.

As a rule I've found that women have not been helpful to me. I think their attitudes have been I've done it the hard way honey and I'm not helping you. So don't expect women to be helpful. I've found the older the driver the less likely they will help me for women. Sometimes older men will help you. However, you have a better chance of younger men helping you when you need to move your tandems etc... Although, sometimes they will expect you to do them a "favor" in return and I'm not talking about lunch. Older men 55+ think we should all be at home barefoot and pregnant. That is definitely a prevalent attitude from the older men out here!

You have to have a back bone and be able to put up with sexist men. Although, I was sick and tired of bitchy back stabbing women so I find it to be a good lifestyle.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me. You always hear drivers complaining about the lack of home time, lack of miles and many other complaints. However, it is definitely a lot more lucrative lifestyle for someone who doesn't have a college education than most people will find doing other professions.

I'm educated and can make a heck of a lot more but have thoroughly enjoyed trucking. Although, as I stated above I led a very different lifestyle hauling new trucks.

The company that hauls the Macks, Volvos, Internationals, Freightliners, Western Stars and Fords is Auto Truck Transport out of Joplin, Missouri. Their sister company Active hauls the Peterbilts and Kenworths. I'm not sure where they are located.

I would suggest to get into a good training company U.S. Express, Schneider, Werner or Swift. I was with Swift but lots of people complain about them. I think you'll find b.s. in every company so I'm not sure one training company is any better than the other. Very few experienced drivers stay with training companies once we've gotten the experience.

You won't have a lot of time off usually one day for every six days out trucking. However, if home time isn't a priority it shouldn't matter. I don't see how people with small children and newly weds could possibly do this job. Also, you better be very mature-not naive.

ALWAYS BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS. These guys will say anything for the almighty nookie. I know I've driven for 28 months. There are only 5 women per 100 men out here. Probably 3 out of that 5 are lesbian. That leaves approx. 2 heterosexual women. So you can understand why they are such dogs....

Good luck and best wishes. I've had a lot of fun.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:06 PM
Rookie
Default great info!

Thanks for taking the time to write. Your information is invaluable to me and makes me want to be a trucker even more! If you have any other suggestions or thoughts as time goes on, I'd love to hear them.
Nancy